Window washer not spraying on passenger side? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window washer not spraying on passenger side?

freezerlunik

Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Sport mt
Have any of you guys run into this? After a cold spell, only the driver side window spray nozzle works. So as to avoid scratches or damaging the wipers, I now have to wait until the windshield is properly wet from rain before turning the wipers on :D

I can't figure out how to get to the window washer piping under the hood panel to check it out. The nozzle looks okay, so I'm afraid perhaps the tubing leading up to it burst. I don't see the nozzles or piping for them from under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how the hood panel comes off, but I do know I can lift up on my nozzle (since the clips are broken) and see the hose as it runs down to the backside of the firewall. There, it passes through to the engine compartment. The clips that hold the nozzle in place on mine are broken. It looks like the nozzle is installed from the top, and just snaps into place when installed. If you don't see a bunch of water running down your firewall and onto the ground when you turn on the washer, then your hoses are good and your nozzle is clogged. Another way to see if there's fluid in the hoses is to disconnect the "Y" fitting in the hose near the drivers side and turn the pump on. Without the nozzles hooked up, and the hose end open, you'd be surprised how quickly your reservoir will empty out.

When I get around to replacing my nozzles, I just figured I'd use a piece of wire and fish it down through the nozzle opening in the panel, and out through the hole into the engine compartment, then somehow attach the hose and pull it back up through the hood panel (cowl?). After attaching the hose to the nozzle nipple, hopefully I can then pull the hose back the other way into the engine compartment until the nozzle snaps into place. There may be a better way...I don't know.

Thanks for the tip!
Turns out there is a removable access cover in the middle of the top section of the firewall:
IMG_1444.jpg

Easy to get that off. Then you can reach with your hand and push on the tabs to remove the nozzle.
IMG_1449.jpg

It came out of the hose fairly easily on mine. It was clogged indeed! I rinsed with hot water, shampoo and forced water through it using my mouth. It sprays now, but not as well as the other nozzle. Too lazy to pull it out again. Better than nothing :)

While the nozzle was disconnected, Should have ran the Washer for a second to pump out whatever crapola was in the hose forced air back down teh nozzle would have been best

While the nozzle was disconnected, Should have ran the Washer for a second to pump out whatever crapola was in the hose forced air back down teh nozzle would have been best

Thanks for the tip!

Once the signature Vancouver weather sets in (i.e. the rainy half of the year) I will do this again. Right now it sprays, but it's more like a thick single stream than a spray.

It's probably got a crack in the actual sprayer as it sounds exactly like what happened to mine. Good news is that Doorman make's an exact replacement and most auto store's can order it. I got 2 from Ebay for about 15$

The part is Dorman #47138 . A parts store should have them in their handy 'Help' parts section on the floor. I discovered this AFTER my little escapade at the junk yard.
I went to a junk yard and tried pulling them off 2 vehicles. Try as I could, try as I might, I broke at least 1 tab on each squirter I tried. I didn't notice there is an access panel to the plenum chamber - DOH!!

For whatever reason, Ford removed that panel on at least my '93, but every '92 down Iv'e seen has it. I ended up cutting the hose and pinching it over so at least the driver's side gets hosed.

When I installed my new one, I tried to see if I could extract the old one through the access panel. Couldn't do it, the wiper transmission arms were in the way and I still couldn't get both clips free at the same time. When I put in the new one, the hose wouldn't bend easily and it makes the squirter shoot over the windshield. CURSES! now I'm going to have to get another new one to change out and stick an elbow on the hose to relieve the stress.

Thanks for the tip!
Turns out there is a removable access cover in the middle of the top section of the firewall:
View attachment 74819
Easy to get that off. Then you can reach with your hand and push on the tabs to remove the nozzle.
View attachment 74820
It came out of the hose fairly easily on mine. It was clogged indeed! I rinsed with hot water, shampoo and forced water through it using my mouth. It sprays now, but not as well as the other nozzle. Too lazy to pull it out again. Better than nothing :)

JOined forum to say thanks for the pichurs and advice to blow out the nozzle and junk in the hoze. :salute:

LMC has them too. I got mine there but they don't spray the same as the original ones do.

I turned my driver side jet to spray the middle of the windshield. That way both wipers can dip in and get some fluid. It works for me.

Back