• Register Today It's free!

Window won't close - bounce back

ryangski

Reaction score
City, State
Eastpointe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
This has happened intermittent with me, started couple weeks ago and happened 1 time on the passenger side.. today it happened to the passenger side, then immediately on the drivers side. Has this happened to anyone else? Probably going to call the dealer tomorrow.

The window rolls up all the way then just goes back down. very slow to completely roll down, then the motor doesn't go up all the way and I have to keep pressing it. The video below will show it. Can see I open and close the door, while its in accessory mode and off, i restart the vehicle and nothing changes. What are your thoughts and opinions and what else to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has happened intermittent with me, started couple weeks ago and happened 1 time on the passenger side.. today it happened to the passenger side, then immediately on the drivers side. Has this happened to anyone else? Probably going to call the dealer tomorrow.

The window rolls up all the way then just goes back down. very slow to completely roll down, then the motor doesn't go up all the way and I have to keep pressing it. The video below will show it. Can see I open and close the door, while its in accessory mode and off, i restart the vehicle and nothing changes. What are your thoughts and opinions and what else to do.

Just for the heck of it, try resetting it. Although my Ex doesnt do this, our Audi used to. It used to trigger the pinch protection randomly as it lost its memory on how much ti close before it is closed and it would reverse.

Screenshot_20191008-202820_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

got the driver side to be reset, but the passenger side is still not working.. off to the dealer we go

I have had this happen to the driver's side window. One touch it up but once it gets to the top, it's like it hits something it's not supposed to and comes right back down. One one occasion it did this 3 times in a row. Doesn't happen very often (3-4x since July) so I'm just keeping an eye out for it.

I wonder if the window channel may be a little too tight near the very top in some of the Explorers.

Peter

I have had this happen to the driver's side window. One touch it up but once it gets to the top, it's like it hits something it's not supposed to and comes right back down. One one occasion it did this 3 times in a row. Doesn't happen very often (3-4x since July) so I'm just keeping an eye out for it.
I have a2020 Explorer that does this often, has yours been fixed/

I had a similar issue whereas the windows acted strangely (auto reversed when shut closed, etc.) and they finally just stopped one day at about 75% down and wouldn't move anymore. I tried the reset procedure posted previously, didn't work. I pulled the Windows fuse which is a PITA to get a hold of, reset it back in and all has been fine since with the windows. Go figure ?? If you try this, be careful not to damage the plastic fuse housing when pulling it out if you use a tool to help pull it.

ours has done this a handful of times. Just yesterday it did this again....very nice when its -10 :)

I will try the reset.

My ram 1500 does this like once a year and a reset seems to clear it up quickly.

I did the reset procedure and that has resolved the issue for the time being.

2020 Explorer Limited driver side window goes back down when auto up is used.

Experiencing issues randomly where the window behaves as if the safety sensor tiggers the window to go back down. Having to manually put it up slightly before it fully seats in its resting point. The issue is random. Has anyone else seen this?

I have a vid but can't attach it to the thread. The link is atached

Used to have that problem, intermittently, in my Malibu, haven't seen it in our 18 Expedition nor the 20 Explorer, both Limited trim.
Is there a manual re-learn? IIRC, on GM cars it was hold the button all the way down, then all the way up, letting it go to full stop & hold the button a couple seconds until the end of travel sensor trips. Usually got it back to working normally. Not sure if Ford is similar.

Used to have that problem, intermittently, in my Malibu, haven't seen it in our 18 Expedition nor the 20 Explorer, both Limited trim.
Is there a manual re-learn? IIRC, on GM cars it was hold the button all the way down, then all the way up, letting it go to full stop & hold the button a couple seconds until the end of travel sensor trips. Usually got it back to working normally. Not sure if Ford is similar.
Here are reset instructions. Ford Explorer auto windows not working, how to reset

Back