windows xp questions, advice needed, etc... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windows xp questions, advice needed, etc...

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
ok, so i got the new laptop today and its awesome. my fears of networking with xp went unsubstantiated (i plugged the cable into the integrated network card and it worked :D ) anyway, i have a few questions about xp:

1) why cant i edit my start menu? for some reason when i try to edit it, some of the programs/folders arent listed. wtf?

2) why cant i uninstall some programs? the computer came with MS messenger and some other crap on it that i dont want, but when i try to uninstall it, i cant - its not listed. wtf?

3) well, my resolution is 1400x1050. i cant change it either. apparently dell says that theres only one optimal resolution for laptop monitors, or something like that (when i try 1024x768 it gets really blurry.) any suggestions?

4) how come only some stuff shows up when i search in windows? for example, i saved my old inbox from outlook express. i wanted to just replace the new inbox file with the old one. when i searched for "inbox" i got nothing. but when i opened outlook express and right clicked on inbox, i got the location, so i cut and pasted it into an explorer window and took care of business like that, but, what the hell is that all about?

5) one more dumb thing...no scandisk? do i need to do anything else before i run a defrag? (besides closing all programs?)

other than these 4-5 minor issues (and, as minor as they are, things like not being able to edit the start menu or uninstall programs really chaps my ass. why is microsoft trying to protect me from myself?), the computer is awesome, and im adjusting to xp pretty well, but im sure ill still hate it for a while.

if anyone else has any comments on xp or anything relevant, post it ;) id be happy to read anything about it (im gonna spend most of my weekend getting acclimated to it.)

thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) everything should be listed under all programs. If you are editing it under Windows Explorer for your profile the other programs are underthe user profile for "All Users"

2) Some of that crap has to be removed manually from the registry. Under HKEY Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run, you can find the things that come on when it boots and take them out here, just be VERY CAREFULL.

3) Learn to like the resolution is the only solution I have found.

4) If you use the right file name and search in the right places it will come up.

5) Don't have my laptop here to look... if no one answers before tomorrow I will look but I think XP has some new maintenance crap.

Hope this helps!

I cannot stress enough how carefull to be if you edit the registry! Only touch things you are 100% sure what they do.

you cant run scandisk manually through windows in XP
If it needs it (ie. crashes) it'll run on its own. Good luck again
I told you it wouldnt be that bad!...
You can get rid of it, but it will just ask you to reinstall it...lol big circle.
i just learned to deal with it, i even use it now, it works well (msn messenger)

Originally posted by tbomb
ok, so i got the new laptop today and its awesome. my fears of networking with xp went unsubstantiated (i plugged the cable into the integrated network card and it worked :D ) anyway, i have a few questions about xp:

1) why cant i edit my start menu? for some reason when i try to edit it, some of the programs/folders arent listed. wtf?

If you open up your c: drive you will see a directory called "Documents and Settings", all users have a profile directory here. There are also "default" and "all users" listed here. This is where you will find ALL start menu items. This is the back way in but it works.

2) why cant i uninstall some programs? the computer came with MS messenger and some other crap on it that i dont want, but when i try to uninstall it, i cant - its not listed. wtf?

MSN Messenger is part of the OS just like IE. You can just tell it not to start with Windows. Open it and without signing in go to options and uncheck the start with Windows option.

3) well, my resolution is 1400x1050. i cant change it either. apparently dell says that theres only one optimal resolution for laptop monitors, or something like that (when i try 1024x768 it gets really blurry.) any suggestions?

Try using large fonts. Should make it a little better. Right click on the desktop and click properties. Go to the settings tab and hit advanced. From there just select Large Fonts. You will have to reboot for them to take effect!

4) how come only some stuff shows up when i search in windows? for example, i saved my old inbox from outlook express. i wanted to just replace the new inbox file with the old one. when i searched for "inbox" i got nothing. but when i opened outlook express and right clicked on inbox, i got the location, so i cut and pasted it into an explorer window and took care of business like that, but, what the hell is that all about?

Not quite sure what you need here!

5) one more dumb thing...no scandisk? do i need to do anything else before i run a defrag? (besides closing all programs?)

Open My Computer and right click on your c: drive. Under tools select "Check Now." You will get a message about not being able to lock the drive and would like to schedule it for the next reboot. Just click yes. The next time you restart it will run a chkdsk. These solutions apply to Windows 2000 as well.

Are you using the default interface? I changed mine to the windows classic setting because it was a pain the ass to find everything.

Are you trying to edit the start menu within win explorer or my computer? If so, go to start -> settings -> taskbar & start menu -> start menu tab -> customize & use the wizard. OR, you can right-click drag a shortcut and move it up and down & into folders. You can also right-click drag anything on the desktop to the start menu (pause for a second) and then place a shortcut into the programs menu.

Were you transfering your email (inbox) and contacts from one computer to the other? Export both off the old box and import into the new one and it should be the same.

Like Bill said, msn messenger is integrated into the os. It's part of their .net/ microsoft passport master plan. It also intergrated into outlook. If you close messenger and then open outlook, messenger loads up. If you want to kill it from your start up, then open messenger and goto tools -> options -> preferences tab -> uncheck "run program when windows starts".

Check Disk is the NT form of scandisk.

oh man! that was A LOT of GOOD answers REAL FAST! :D

so far i tried a few things you guys told me to, and theyre working out nicely.

i havent gone into the registry yet, but i know what im doing in there to get rid of stuff. might take a looksie tomorrow.

i also havent tried the "large fonts" thing yet, ill try it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

im not terribly worried about scandisk anymore, after what you guys told me. i guess ill run chkdsk once in a while then.

and, harry, the import in outlook express didnt work for some reason, so i just pulled the ol' switcharoo and worked fine. and, no, im not using the default interface - i was getting a headache just looking at it. i switched everything to classic and stuff like that.

on another note (or 2), i knew i was gonna have networking problems ;) internet works fine, but local network is a "no go." i guess ill play with it this weekend.

also, does anyone have suggestions of a decent cd ripper to use? the one i used when i had win me doesnt work with xp. (*note: i dont want to pay for one, heh.)

thanks again everyone :)

Dead Link Removed

Try this site for XP info

Originally posted by Dolphan
Dead Link Removed

Try this site for XP info

cool, thanks. ive been using annoyances.org.

Hey Tbomb, how did the large fonts work for you?

Originally posted by NaplesBill
Hey Tbomb, how did the large fonts work for you?

theyre actually working really well. i guess since i cant change the resolution, this is the next best thing. thanks :)

Back