Winter Tire Size?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire Size??

PackerBacker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer
Hi everyone,
just bought an '08 explorer limited V8 AWD. It has the stock 20" polished aluminum wheels on it. I live in WI so bought a set of 16" stock aluminum wheels off an '03 to use during the winter (i know TPMS will be an issue but i'll worry about that later). My question is, what would be the best winter tire size for these 16" rims? I would like something on the skinny side, but maybe with a little larger diameter than stock to help fill the gaps in the wheelwell. Any info appreciated, thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

225/75 16 is good and Lots and lots of choices in that size

I would choose a size that you like... 225 is a nice thin tire for snow and try to match the tire height to keep the speedo correct.... i use 235's and they do great for everything these michigan winters throw at me and do great on the highway

I'm running a 245/70/16 snow tire. Keeps the diameter very close with my stock 245/65/17 summer tires.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to go with 225/75/16 Cooper AT3's, on sale at Fleet Farm right now with a $70 mail in rebate

Back