wiper issues

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
i'm having some sort of problem with my intermittent wipers. anytime i try to put my wipers on in any sort of intermittent mode, after about 1-2 cycles, the wipers will just stop in the middle, and never continue. however, if i put them into normal mode (either high or low), they work just fine and never stop wiping. also, if i turn the wipers off, they just stop where they are, instead of returning to the bottom of the windshield. is this maybe a bad relay or something? any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my guess would be a short in the relay somewhere.. obviously your motor and fuse is fine, but there is some sort of issue with the settings, id check up on the relays for the car... good luck

hey , i just moved from columbus ohio. actually, i'm gonna be there this weekend cause i'm running the sound for "hookahville". what about you? go to osu? what part of columbus you in?

I have problems with mine every now and then. It's most likely the switch at the end of the turn signal stalk. Try wiggling it, the internal connections might be dirty or separated.

im from reynoldsburg, about 15 mins east of downtown. i go to ohio university, but i live here for summer and stuff... any hookups for hookahville? haha i cant afford it this year, i liked the old days and 12 dollar tickets much better

It's probably the multifunction switch in the stalk, but it could also be a GEM problem.

AWDexplorer said:
im from reynoldsburg, about 15 mins east of downtown. i go to ohio university, but i live here for summer and stuff... any hookups for hookahville? haha i cant afford it this year, i liked the old days and 12 dollar tickets much better
man, if we would have gotten in touch a week ago i could have definately gotten you in for free. it's too late now though unfortunately, because i have to fly up there tomorow morning to start setting up. i definately agree about the tickets prices though, i've had my share of quarrels with management about that. anyway, good luck at ohio u, i've got a lot of friends that go there.

TPLYNCH said:
It's probably the multifunction switch in the stalk, but it could also be a GEM problem.

whats GEM? how would i take the "stalk" apart to clean it anyway?

The GEM is the computer for things besides the engine like wipers power windows etc. I agree that it is probably the multi function switch. You can pop a little plastic cap off the end and unscrew the screw under it. This will allow you to slide off the end with the contacts. Be careful though, the parts are delicate and if it gets bent the wrong way it might get worse. I had trouble with my washer pump and tried to fix it that way. I ended up with the washer stuck on and when I got it to stop it still doesn't work right. Now my wipers will cycle by themselves every once and a while. I am planning on replacing it. I think I did a search and found that someone got the switch for around $45 from the fordpartsnetwork.com guy. I might try a junkyard.

Toddius,

I have the same exact problem...how were you able to fix it?

actually, i haven't solved the problem yet. honestly, i haven't really tried anything. It's probably the relay, but i havent gotten around to getting a new one. i would say try that first, before taking the whole stalk apart. let me know what works for you if you get it figured out. thanks, todd.

I thoroughly cleaned the elctronics in the stalk, and it didn't help anything except now the washer works beautifully. I swapped the GEM modules in the relay box (there are 2 identical ones in my box), and that didn't do much either, except swapping them caused only the high speed to work, whereas both the high and low worked OK beofre...so, logic tells me that at least one of the GEM modules is probably bad...maybe both, since the intermittent and return don't work regarless of which module is in.

I used to have that exact problem.
A new stalk and ten mineuts of my time and the problem has never come back.

Back