Wiper Question

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I guess I should look in the owner's manual, but I'm feeling lazy today.:)

In my 2011 Limited, I am not aware that I have "Rain Sensing Wipers". But, when I turn on my wipers, and have my headlights set on "auto", the lights do turn on. I assume this is correct. It's very helpful too.

But, it does not appear that my wiper speed adjusts to the vehicle speed or amount of rain fall. Is this correct?

What option group gave you Rain Sensing Wipers?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my 2011 Limited, I am not aware that I have "Rain Sensing Wipers". But, when I turn on my wipers, and have my headlights set on "auto", the lights do turn on. I assume this is correct. It's very helpful too.

But, it does not appear that my wiper speed adjusts to the vehicle speed or amount of rain fall. Is this correct?

Thanks.

The 302a package in the limited only is the only way to get the rain sensing wipers. (to much technology for me, I went with the 301a package). Other threads have mentioned the lights coming on when the wipers activate.

For those with rain sensing wipers, on the wiper control it says "auto" instead of "delay" where you adjust the delay speed.

For those with rain sensing wipers, on the wiper control it says "auto" instead of "delay" where you adjust the delay speed.

If you have rain sensing wipers there's also a menu setting which allows you to turn off the Auto feature and just manually control them, which I prefer. I've never cared for rain sensing wipers.

But, when I turn on my wipers, and have my headlights set on "auto", the lights do turn on. I assume this is correct. It's very helpful too.

I'm hoping this is in all and not just the rain sensing ones (no rain sensing in my XLT). Lights on when wipers are on was recently added to CA law. I'll have to test that today.

In my experience with my 03 and 07, if I need to wipe the windshield then 9 times out of 10 it is already dark enough that the auto lights will pop on.

however, I do understand your point and it is a great feature to have the lights come on when the wipers are when in auto light mode

I'm hoping this is in all and not just the rain sensing ones (no rain sensing in my XLT). Lights on when wipers are on was recently added to CA law. I'll have to test that today.

My XLT lights went on when I used my wipers. I don't think it was dark enough for them normally.

OP, yes, I read they are speed sensitive even when not auto. I noticed my delay went up at stoplights.

My XLT lights went on when I used my wipers. I don't think it was dark enough for them normally.

Yup, I was getting a light rain yesterday and turned the wipers on and off a few times to confirm that the lights went on and off.

Thanks.
Bill,

Looks like your buddies here on the forum helped you out with this, but I thought I would throw a shout-out here. If ever you want to look something up about your Explorer and don't want to go out to the glove-box, you can download your Owner's Manual at FordOwner.com. You can also create a free member account on this site, which provides you with a variety of useful information, as well as applications to enhance your ownership experience.

Owner Site Benefits
Information to properly maintain your vehicle
Dealer locations and contact information
Bumper to Bumper warranty and recall information
Vehicle maintenance history and maintenance schedules
Extended service and Maintenance Plan Information
Quarterly service offers from your preferred servicing dealer
Special offers from our partners and great brands such as Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Dell computers, Sirius Satellite Radio, Ford Collection and more to come.

:D Just a thought! Enjoy!

Seni

Back