Wipers barely pressing on windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wipers barely pressing on windshield

bluesmoke

Reaction score
City, State
On
Year, Model & Trim Level
The wiper arms on my 99 X are stiff and barely press the wiper blade against the windshield. The (new/soft) blades don't even bend with the curve of the glass. This means streaks and not wiping the whole windshield.

I've hit it the joint at the bottom of the wiper arm spring with WD40 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Anybody else have this problem or a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this problem in the rear wiper arm. The fronts are fine with mine. Try replacing the thing that holds the wiper blade with a different brand name like Bosche or something.

I don't think it's a blade issue, but a wiper arm issue. What are the condition of the springs that hold the wiper arm to the windshield. It sounds like those could be worn out and doesn't have enough tension to hold the arm firmly on the windshield.

The spring might not be enough to pull the wiper against the window. This could be because the hinge on the wiper arm may be sticking. add a little wd-40 to it and see if that helps.

You can get those springs that go on the outside of the wiper arm.I have some, they kick @$$.About 7 bucks.

I recon on a 98 there still should be enough tension.

A whole new arm/wiper assembly (including spring) costs a 14 or 15 bucks brand new from the dealer......

If need be, shell out 30 bucks... mine work like its a brand car:D

Back