• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Interior Neons

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok, I just bought a '98 XLT yesterday and one of the first of many things I want to do is wire some neons on the inside. This isn't going to be an offroad Explorer just street. What I wanted to do is wire it to my headlights so that when I have just my parking lights or headlights on the neons underneath the seats in the back and under the dash glow seeing as there's no point for during the day...

My question is can you directly hook up to the lights and if so are they in the fuse box? If someone has already done this setup and has pictures/directions lemme no thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wired my neons on the inside. i bet ur glad im responding =) haha ok well i have a 98 sport, in the center console i have a auxilary power socket i taped into the wires and hit all the transformer boxes from the neons in the consol underneath the removable things. i have 4 street glow neons one for each seat =) i wired it to one rocker switch which was like 5 bucks that lights up green. its not hard 2 do just a pain make sure u have spare fuses just a hint i went threw 4

ok thanks...since u got 98 i'm sure u could probably help with this 2...I have the center console with the rear controls in it, For some reason i think there is something missing on the front of the console there is a slot there and if i reach in it i can touch the coin holder thing? Is something missing or was this just stupid design doesn't seem possible Ford would make some random hole and not have a reason for it

that slot is for kleenex's... a certain size box fits right in there.

And I would highly reccommend wiring the neons to a separate switch, not your headlights, here in PA you can get pulled over for running neons while driving... and I dunno about you but the neons I got are bright! They do kinda distract from my driving... well that and the indiglo guages.. Bright!

Don't use neons either. Use cold cathodes. They are cheap and bright as hell.

*Update* I bought LEDS when they arrive well see how they work mayb i'll get a pic up who knows

pls do i'm going to be doing this either tomorrow or next week sometime so if I have a guide that would be great.

k so i hooked up my LEDS into the aux power ...good call on the fuse situation I blew one. Kinda disappointed there not that bright but it still adds a nice touch If i remember to grab my friends digital i'll try to get some pics up

dreamr said:
That spot in the console is for kleenex?
I thought it was for 9mm. My mistake
:eek: :eek:

HAHA that was funny it took me a second to figure out what you meant...duurrrr :D

Back