WO-HOO! 17.34 quarter mile in an AWD! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WO-HOO! 17.34 quarter mile in an AWD!

2kLimitedv8

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceburg, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Ok maybe its nothing special, but thats my best of three runs in my 2000 Limited AWD 5.0.

Not bad I'd say, considering Explorer Express quotes the stock Explorers at 18.1 and all i have done to mine is a KKM True-Rev and a 3" Flowmaster Y-pipe and exhaust.

It sure is fun to run it. My first run I had a reaction time of 1.055, then .855, and finally .678.

Man, I WAS SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!!! The last two runs I ran against Chevy S-10 Xtremes (supposed to be so fast, woooooo) I HAD EM, 60 ft, 300m, then RIGHT AT the end, they both pulled away just barely. Both times I lost by less than a second, .842, and .441.

Anyway I'm hooked. I strongly urge anyone to go out to the local track and have fun.

I'm currently looking into a NOS 5.0L kit for around $750 (I want a kit that injects the nitrous from the intake manifold, not the throttle body) which I'll probably set at 85-100 hp.

I want a Mustang so bad but after this I'm considering just making my Explorer faster.

Yeah, me and my Explorer may have lost the battle to the Xtremes, but the war is just gettin started! heh heh heh. (keep in mind I weigh a CONSIDERABLE amount more than an Xtreme so they really should've beat me by more than that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Xtremes have anything done to them?

Good job. The track is very fun. :D

Thats pretty quick for a ex:confused:

I don't really know what the Xtremes had, but the one at least looked like it had some mods.

I think I need some underdrive pulleys and maybe a Hypertech Power Programmer...yeah...that should give me the edge...heh heh heh.... look out Xtremes...

I dont want to sound like an @$$hole but my friends stock 4cyl ranger ran low 16's stock but he did have a 5spd transmission. Those extremes have motor work done to then stock and theyre alot lighter but as long as you where keeping up with them its all good. :D drop a 351c in youre truck then youll smoke them.

Your friends 4cyl ranger was also like half the weight of an explorer, and was also likely 2wd, certainly not AWD.

Don't worry, I'll beat em next time. :)

For an automatic and a truck that heavy thats pretty damn good.

Pretty good :) What gears do you have? That will also make a difference.

With 31's, fully equipped (tools, spare, roof rack: ~4500 lbs), and with a 15-20 mph headwind, I was running low 16's.

I have the stock 3.73 LS gears.

Man, what a difference a day makes! I am so pumped!!

I've been looking at stuff all day for my Explorer. Hey, I have a question.

Will a 285/60 R18 tire fit on my Explorer? Heh heh, if so, my friend has a set of 99 Lightning wheels. I know I know, the bolt pattern is different, however, I have heard of replacement hubs or something like that. If not I could just find some other nice looking 18s.

Also, for Alec, as I'm assuming you know a substantial amount about performance parts for Explorers, what do you think would be my best bet to do first, a set of JET Underdrive Pulleys ($110, supposedly 10hp) or a Hypertech Power Programmer III ($320, supposedly 20hp)?

Thanks a lot. I'm hoping that those two mods (and my learning to get a better reaction time) will get me below 17.

I shy away from any JET products. I've heard that their pullies especially often don't fit correctly or are poorly machined. I think the programmer will help you out a lot, but you'll want to program to use premium gas, and then you have to buy it ;)

Thanks for the tip Alec.

Hey, as I said I've been looking through catalogs and on websites all day figuring out my strategy entitled "Project Xtreme Killer" :) heh heh heh...

Ok, my latest find sounds good to me.

Looking in the Ford Racing Performance Parts 2002 catalog, in the 5.0L performance section, they recommend a 65mm throttle body and a spacer as well. However, they have a 70mm (for a 4.6) that they say has "significant power improvements". So, I know that both Summit and Jegs have both 65 and 70mm throttle bodies and spacers. What I'm wondering is, well, surely bigger is better (to an extent of couse, Ford Racing sells the BOSS 86mm!!!!!) so I'd rather go with a 70mm throttle body and 70mm spacer, but how can I be sure it will fit. In Jegs, it SAYS that for the BBK 65-70mm will fit stock intakes, and that the 75mm requires manifold porting, yet in Summit, it says the EDELBROCK 70mm throttle bodies are "designed for an aftermarket manifold". ???

I really don't know. But it makes sense to me that that combo would really produce some power, for a fairly low price. ~$200 for the TB, and ~$60 for the spacer.

Please let me know what you think.

Hey I know this is a ton of stuff, but I GOTTA BEAT THOSE GUYS!!! I'm sure you know how I feel.

Get the BBK TB. They're quality units and they will for sure fit. Bigger isn't always better with TB's though. Unless you're doing lots of mods, I'd stick with around 65 mm, I think 70 mm for a TB might be too large. If your throttle body is too large, you create weird airflow currents in the intake which can make your motor bog a bit. Oh, and TB spacers usually don't do much of anything except drain your wallet.

Thanks again Alec, I most certainly trust your opinion.

I guess for right now I'm looking at just getting a Superchip (supposed 21hp 32ft.lb for $230, compared to the Hypertech Programmer thats about the same but $330) and some kind of underdrive pulleys. I found some in the Ford Racing catalog for "87-96 5.0L". Well, mine is a 2000 of course but then again I can't imagine it's any different. If not then the only underdrive pulleys that I'm aware of that are truely made specifically for a 2000 Explorer 5.0L are the ones in Performance Products by JET.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you all posted once I get these mods done and let you know how bad I beat those bowties! :)

Hey Alec, while your giving performance advice, I've got a question for you. I have the SOHC with 2.25" dual exhaust with a flowmaster 50. My gas milage around town is about 16. When I when on a 600 mile highway trip... my gas milage was 16. Someone said something about the EGR valve reading too much flow causing it to run rich. Does that make sense? If so, what can I do to get better performance/milage out of it without changing the exhaust, I love it too much. Oh, I also have a superchip and run premium. Do they make different EGR valves? I dont even know what this thing does so I need some advice. Thanks.

BTW, let us know when you kill those extremes!!

16 is ok mileage. i don't know much about the egr system. but i don't think your catback is related at all. it could be running rich, but your exhaust shouldn't affect that. do you notice any unburnt (or partially burnt) fuel smells, or any black smoke out the tailpipe?

no smoke or smell. 16 is ok around town, but on the highway i was expecting it to be up in the 20's. Aldive got 32 on one of his trips. Could it be the tires? 255/60/17. What other mods would you recommend to make this baby faster?

intake, exhaust, computer is pretty much what the sohc is limited to as far as easy bolt-ons.

Done all them. What about a MAS or Throttle Body? Will those help with just the mods I have done or do you need other major things to make those worth while?

as far as i know, there aren't any available for the sohc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec your where missing one thing when you went to the track you need mud! :) I want to get my new truck muddy then take it to the track and see how slow it is.

Back