Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny (Completed)

Pre-note, now that I have confused everyone with a name change, took me a while to find my real login seeing I forgot what it was in the 2 years since I had last used it :) but I'm back!... now on with the show...

Ok, in the first thread I started (link here soon as I figure out how..) I was taking suggestions on what to use for the swap, well, now my mind is made up... and here is whats on it :D

Engine: '94 5.0lt EFI mustang motor, w/ all accories around 70k miles on it, need to get more info from the person I'm getting it from
-going with the '94 due to the shorter front for the much needed space in the X

Wiring:
Motor: '93 mustang harness, EEC-IV -going this route because of the EEC-IV adapts to mods much better then the post '94 computers
-going to wire the harness myself, that way its wired the way I want it, and run underhood the way I want

Trans: Baumann Engineering TCS, this unit will stand alone control the Aod-E/4R70W trans, unit using some of the EEC wiring for data to control the shift points and thottle kick down
-I dont think anyone else has gone this route, so I'll keep everyone up to date on how it works out

Trans/T-Case:
Trans: 4R70W, brand new '99 5.0 Explorer Trans *will not bolt up to the B/W 1350 t-case* also I dont know what the length is yet, still wating on them, if this trans is way over/under 29" overall its out and I'll be going with a Aod-E and a AA tailshaft kit

T-Case: Seeing that the 4R70W will not bolt up the b/w 1350 T-Case with out adapter, I'm looking to go with a Atlas T-Case, yeah it cost alot, but I'm already putting in a better motor/trans... why stop there *1 (see foot note)

Swap Adapters/kits:
This is the only part I cant make up my mind on =) I like the look of the L&L mounts, might end up going with duff for some of the other stuff also, I'll figure this out in the next 2 weeks

Overview: *1 (see foot note)
Reasons I have for going this route with this swap..
Well... I have a few reasons for going electronic with the trans, I really like the idea of being able to set the shift points, converter lockup, turning the OD on/off with a button. As for the hard parts of the trans, its a newer model year, parts should be easyer to find, from what i have heard its one of the stronger ones also, the lower gearing is a big plus, thats less $$ I need to spend on regearing the front and rear diffs untill I go over 31" tires and it should give the truck better highway/road performance. The T-Case... Atlas II 3.8:1 that speaks for itself :D , few of the hidden advantages to the atlas t-case is I can pull the ford t-case control box out of my rear sail panel which would give enough room probably for a onboard air compressor....
More info and PICTURES! to follow (I would have pics of the duff 2.5" stage 2 install, but I didnt want to kill my digital cam)

FootNote!
*1- results may vary on a person to person basis ;)

General Disclamer: Most info I have I have gathered in the last 2 weeks, most people wont agree with the Aod-E tranny, if ya dont like it, pay me way too much money and do the swap the way you think it should be done :p
All reasons and overview are my opinion, Please try not to spam this thread with flames

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good

You doing the work in Columbia? Thats not too far a away, any chance I could come and take a look?

What are you going to do with the trans? Im looking for an experimental unit.

Looks good so far- thats going to be a great combo with the low first and the OD.

Watching with great interest.
Thanks

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ditto Steve's comments, and I'm even closer!

Any chance we could come by and take a look at everything?

Looks like a great project!

Yeah Anyone that wants to stop by and take a look at the mess is welcome to, right now I still need to order the tranny, headers are in the mail, and the wiring is in the middle of being sorted out

Just give me a call at 443-324-3939 (cell)

Wolf... what are you gonna be driving in for King of Prussia/ Valley Forge?

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Got the length of the 4R70W Stock v8 Explorer tranny today, overall length with tailshaft with 6 bolt T-case mounting is 27.5 inches, so everything is going to work out good!! :bounce:

Measurement:
A4LD 4x4 Bell to Tcase front: 28.687"
4R70W 4x4 5.0 X bell to T : 27.5"
1350 B/W T-case (4.0 X) : 12" aprox
Atlas 2 w/ 1" spacer : 14.8"

So I'm taking a guess that my new output flange for the rear shaft is only going to be about one inch farther back then stock, so the stock shaft *should* work :) great news for me and this swap, lot less fabbing to worry about....
Tranny now on order :D woooohooo!!!! :bounce:
now just to hope that AA can put together the t-case with the right adapters/outputs on the first try :)
:bounce:

Current Cost break down:
'95 5.0 motor w/everything: $1000
'93 wiring +computer :$200
4R70W tranny (new):$1300 +shipping
Atlas 2: $2500+ (guess atm)
Duff long headers: $239

Look on the ford service writer's face when you complain that your truck has more sparkplugs then it should have after getting your oil changed there....
Priceless :)

Oh: Speedfreak, will the f150 a/c p/s bracket work with the '95 5.0 ?

trans control

Geoff,

Did you get the trans from Baumann? If AA can get an adapter to the 4.0 to AOD Im going to do that and will need to control the trans somehow. Interested in what you think of the transmission control once you get things together.

You around during the day, or just in the evenings, I may have some time next week, and I would like to check out the swap If possible.

Looks good.

No, unfortunetly the truck bracket will not work with the SN-95 Mustang bracket. Here is a picture that shows the difference beween the belt distances from the engine block. Picture

I tried posting the picture but aparently I don't know how.

Savage wolf,
the f-150 AC bracket will not work with the 96+ explorer 5.0 or 94-95 mustang setup. the f-150 kit has the same bracket length as the 87-93 mustang accesories. (which means that it is longer than the short acc kit)

I have the same ACC kit as you, and in order to retain my AC, I will be fabricating my own brackets.

Hope this helps
Al

Re: trans control

Originally posted by SteveVB
Did you get the trans from Baumann? If AA can get an adapter to the 4.0 to AOD Im going to do that and will need to control the trans somehow. Interested in what you think of the transmission control once you get things together.

Well, if you use a AOD you dont need a computer to control the tranny, only the AOD-E, E40D, 4R70W are computer controled trannys, the plain AOD just uses a cable for throttle position

And I have the next month and a half off so I'm always around =) day or night dun make a diffrence to me

As for the A/C bracket anyone have a pic of the F150 bracket with nothing on it... maybe I can figure out a way to shorten it :)

Hey Steve and Geoff:

If you all want to coordinate a time to get together, I'm all for it. I also have a buddy who might want to check it out as well.

Keep things posted on a good time. I'm good anytime in the evenings and weekends. I don't get in to around 5 at night during the week (ahh, fun commuting to DC from EC).

Catch you all later.

as I said in another post, I have the next month + off so all ya need to do is give me a call to see if I'm going to be in and get directions to check it out, I'm almost always home, and always working on the truck or in the shop in the evening/nights due to the heat
Just give me a call @ 443-324-3939

well, just started on the wiring.... :rolleyes: what a PITA
some of how the Ex is wired up just doesnt make any sense at all, at least when compaired to the '93 mustang harness...

welcome to all the fun! I've been workin/ignoring this part fer awhile, and finally just peckin away slowly at it... It certainly takes patience!

Geoff

Ill give you a call next week, I have a meeting out that way next tuesday-so maybe I can hook up with you around lunch- I ll call you. Thanks.

Good luck with the harness.

well, wiring hit a snag cause I cant quite figure out what some of the wires go to off the '93 X harness, mostly its the 3 plugs on the drivers side next to the abs/brake booster, from what I can gather from my helms stuff one of them has tranny wiring, for what reason the tranny wireing for the a4ld is over there I have no idea
I also love how some of the wires are listed as "Sensor" :fire: *&#$&*@ emmission laws...
I bet this wiring would be easy if I didnt care if my gauges worked :)
well back to :hammer: the easy stuff like setting the motor even though I dont have my tranny yet hehe

Well, after sitting and not getting anything done for a while, came to another question, what the heck do I use for the throtle cable, or do I swap stuff around or something and will the cruse control work with the 5.0 or do I lose that in the swap also?

:confused: god I feel somewhat stupid after looking at the wiring and not being able to figure it out, but this is the first EFI I have messed with...

One of the plugs, an 8 pin grey plug, should be the tranny plug. Keep it though because if you use an AOD, the harness will plug right into the tranny without modifications. Just tape up the converter lock-up plug that won't be used in the AOD.

I used an '89 Thunderbird 3.8L non supercharged throttle cable. It plugged right into the firewall and had perfect length. Yes the cruise will work if the speed sensor is hooked up correctly.

I'm iffy on the throttle cause of the type of cable it uses, I'll take a pic of it and post it just in case I have something odd

doh, forgot the pic of the throttle on my '95 efi
Right now due to a lack of better things to do I started moving my bumpers around cause of the 2" gap from the bodylift, so far I managed to move the rear bumper and reciver hitch up 2" the front bumper I'm modding a '88 bronco reciver hitch for a front tow point and also moving the bumper up 2" and about 1-2" foward that way I dont need to do much cutting of the bumper, saves me from needing to notch it for the frame and cutting it to clear the 33" tires
I'll take some pics of that mess tomorrow :)

front hitch in the process of being layed out...
Dead Link Removed
Cut setting in place waiting to be drilled :) forgot to take pics of it with the bolts and holes...
Dead Link Removed
I'll take some pics of the rear hitch and how I moved the bumper up 2 inches, still need to weld reinforcements to the rear hitch after cutting some of the metal out of it...

Back