• Register Today It's free!

Wont Lock!!! Help!!!

AWDexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt awd 5.0
Hey guys! So tonight I was gettin out of my car and went to lock it. The actuall power door lock switch on the interior door handle wont lock any of the doors. So i tried to use my keyless entry remote. Doesnt work. I used my keypad on the exterior door, doesnt work! It locks, but does not unlock. Unlocking makes a sound like it tries, but its already unlocked. Locking does nothing. I heard it could possibly be the electric relay stuck on the unlock position, but I have no idea about electrical. Anyone know where this relay is? Anyone have any other suggestions? This is important because I have CD player and a system in it! So im hiding in the backyard until i fix it. Please HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same problem with my work truck ('99 Explorer) right now. Not sure what is the cause of it, I checked all the fuses and I couldn't find a problem. Funny thing is that my keyfob will still unlock the doors. On mine the power lock button in the cargo area still works so wen I need to lock the door I have to pop the rear glass and use that lock button. Try your's it might still be working too.

What happens when you manually push down the locks/ and or turnt he key in the door locks to lock them?

Welcome to the "No lock club" this is not just an easy pull the fuse fix, so I have learned. Myself and others have been dealing with this issue for a while now. The lock button in the hatch will still lock the truck up, bit of a pain but still works. I am by no means an expert but do a search on this forum for "door locks" or "locks no work" or however you choose to word it. I posted an article that I found, it is not the answer but it helps give you a place to start. Briefly all the lock relays are at the back of the truck behind the panel where the hatch lock button is, start from here. Secondly from what I understand ( I am at this point now) remove drivers door panel and check wires in there. Thirdly trace the wires (continuity) find the dead spot, it appears the wires meet up somewhere and head to the back. Again I am not an expert or even handy for that matter. But good luck, maybe you can help me when you fix yours.

How about an actual key? Do they work in either door or the hatch?

Keys work fine!!

yes keys work fine and i can manually push the locks down, but no other way. ill take a look for the fuses and wires throughout the doors and hatch tonight. ill keep ya posted. thansk guys

hatch lock button also works... no fuse issues, all good... im going to take a look on the hatch wiring and door witing on saturdays as well as attempt to locate the electric relay.

I'm confused... it sounds like you are saying the vehicle locks fine.

If it unlocks with the key and locks from the hatch button, what the emergency and why it is the vehicle hidden? I am really confused.

Brian_B said:
If it unlocks with the key and locks from the hatch button, what the emergency and why it is the vehicle hidden?

I am really confused.

So am I.

Last time I checked having to lock the doors manually isnt an Emergency. :confused:

Lat time I drove my ranger I actually had to push the lock button (manuals) and open it with a key. Is this anything like having to get up to change the channel on the tv?

Back