Won't shift on its own

bcorradi

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Park, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD
Hi there,

I own a 97 5.0 AWD for a couple years and I really like it. I was going to purchase a new set of tires for it before winter, but I spotted a real nice 94' 4.0 in real nice shape with new tires, new battery, etc. along with a few issues lol. I ended up purchasing it for around $550 and was just going to steal the tires off of it and resell it as an explorer with some issues. However since its in so nice shape I'm tempted to hang onto it and use it as a winter driver for my wife.

Well now to the issues. There are a few issues (CE light with a few codes, ABS light, no brake lights etc), but the one that concerns me the most is the transmission. I get a code 566 from it which means a 3rd/4th gear solenoid. When I'm driving it ...the transmission will not shift until I let off the gas completely. If I let off the gas it will shift fine and I can continue on. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try adjusting the bands.

Sometimes having to let off or coax it into gear can mean mis-adjusted band or broken band.

I guess I'm not too well versed in auto trannies...what bands are you referring to and how do I go about adjusting them?
Thanks,
Brad

The solenoid probably just needs replacing. I'm not sure how you woudl go about this, but it's probably in the A4LD rebuild diary... Also, I'm not sure if A4LD use bands or not... If you aren't sure, dont' touch it. You don't want to mess with it, transmissions are funny objects. I've torn my front suspension all the way down about 4-5 times, I coudl probably do it blindfolded to tell the truth, lol. But when it comes to transmissions I won't even touch the pan to replace the fluid.

Go to a tranny shop, a GOOD one, let them test drive it and give them the code. See what they tell you and come back here.

Good Luck

The solenoids (shift valves) are located in the valve body and direct oil pressure to the appropriate pistons in the transmission to cause the gears to shift. The valve body is often accessable once the trans oil pan is removed. If you are lucky the solenoid can be replaced without pulling the valve body.

before I got my ex. I used to drive an old light blue rusty christler minivan in highschool(oh yeah that's right!).

It wouldn't shift in to reverse half the time and hard all maner of other problems.

Believe it or not some time I acually had to shut off the car while rolling and turnnit on again to get it to shift out of first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And people say the a4ld is fragile.

Back