Won't stay running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't stay running

zteca_101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 94 ford explorer xlt, when the engine gets warm it starts dying. It starts back up just fine, and then continues to die. If I let it set for about an hour or so it will start back up and run again for 15 minutes then continue to die. I had a friend who came over and looked at it and replaced the throttle sensor but that didn't help at all. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when it dies, do you have fuel pressure?? spark??

I don't know, how do I tell if I have fuel pressure or a spark? Do I need to look at the spark plugs to see if I have a spark

for spark - pull a plug wire and connect it to a spark tester (you can also use a narrow screwdriver holding it about 1/4 inch from ground, but be careful if doing it that way). crank the engine and see if there is spark

for fuel pressure - you'll need to attach a fuel pressure gauge. (an auto parts store may loan one out)

also, any codes??

Thank you for being so helpful! I don't have any codes. I think I'm going to take it in on Monday and see if I can get someone to get the codes for me. Also, do you know of any auto parts stores that loan out fuel pressure guages? I guess it would be ones that are nationwide since your probably not in my area. Thanks

autozone may...they loan out other tools. they also scan codes.

just from the symptoms, i'd check for clogged fuel filter or cats.

I'm not sure what cats are? catalytic converter is my guess? I was reading on tsb that others have had ignition module problems and mass air flow sensor problems too. I am so confused at this point!
Do you mean after I get the codes autozone can tell me what they mean? I'm really sorry, I'm not very mechanically inclined.

yep, cats = catalytic converters

autozone can pull/get the codes for you...after you get them (if any) let us know the numbers and we can explain how to diagnose them.

Thank you! I will let you know Monday what they are. Thanks for all the help!

I am so happy to say I finally got it fixed! Thanks for everything and the really great tip of autozone pulling codes! It turned out to be the mass air flow sensor. Thanks again!

Since diagnosis can be 90% of the battle, can you tell us how you determined that the MAF was at fault?

i have same type of problem... 31.1.07 i was driving in here and after i got in to local liquer store and went back to car, it was dying... like there werent any gasoline??? after one cigaret i got it working for bout 20 seconds and again, just like no gasoline... i have changed there fuel filter and fuel pump relay... but it didnt help. Could it be that i have the same goddamn sensor busted??? Thanks For Answers... TJ from Finland

I figured out that the MAF was the problem after disconnecting the plug in thing to the MAF sensor, as soon as I did that it ran perfectly fine. TJ1 could try that too.

thanks

and just one thing... How Much does it cost in usa??? the maf sensor...

cause in finland it cost bout 200 euros... could it be posted for somewhere in the states???

Back