• Register Today It's free!

Would a sticky governor cause....

tbe2002

Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Expedition Limited
I was wondering if a sticky A4LD governor cause it not to shift back to 1st at a stop light once warmed up. I know the governor is sticking regardless of that issue because I get the classic delay of sift from 1-2 when cold. I can manually shift just fine at any temp. The trans was just replaced with a rebuilt one and I guess I didn't clean the lines very well because it started sticking after about 10 miles of driving.

I have adjusted the bands to spec. and it is not sliping at all. It is shifting nice, just wish it would start in 1st. lol. Is the only way to clean the governor to drop the transfer case or would a professional flush resolve it? And how do I prevent it from happening again? Would upgrading the weight with the 35mm help at all?

Thanks for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the governor or a leaking low/reverse servo. check the torque on the valve body bolts...

or as I found in my tranny, the detent/TV cable was out of adjustment...don't really know if it was the culprit, but the not downshifting to low at a stop was cured when the cable was adjusted.

...and I'm not one to argue with success ! :D

Thanks for the fast reply. The TV cable is the kickdown cable right? I did adjust that once. Maybe I will try that again. It can't hurt. that would be awsome if that was the problem. I don't know though, because it only seems to do it when the tranny is up to operation temp.

Resolved :)

I just wanted to update with the fix. It turns out that the overdrive solonid was bad or sticking causing the tranny to start in 1st overdrive. Last night I replaced the valve body with a completely rebuilt one and man did that make a huge difference. This thing gets up an goes, well for an explorer :D

yeah I am planning to rebuild the old transmission to. More of a learning process. And it is always nice to have a spare, or to sell. I think I have a total of 3 valve bodies laying around now.

Back