• Register Today It's free!

Governor or servos?

94Jo

Reaction score
City, State
lou.ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 navajo
I am pretty sure my governor needs a good cleaning/replacement. When its cold outside, it needs a while to warm up or it will not shift from 1-2. after that, it is completely fine. I recently read a thread on here where someone said if the truck shifts normally after the 1-2 shift, that it is the servos? Is there any truth to this? Is there anyway to test the governor or servos? This site is a lifesaver, thanks in advance.

I would say that it is your governor. If you pull the rear housing (transfer case if you are 4WD) you will see the governor in the tail end of the tranny. you can search for the A4LD rebuild diary if you need pictures of it. you might have to replace it, but you could probably just clean and polish it real good.

The only thing is, im not sure if i am capable of doing that myself, there looks to be a lot going on down there and i dont want to get in too deep. My main hurdle is what tool do i need to remove the driveshafts?? do i need to completely remove the transfer case or can i just slide it back? Thanks

Back