Would this make sense to anyone else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would this make sense to anyone else?

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
After my explorer got hit Im not sure I really want it anymore, but Ill decide for sure after I pick it up from the body shop. But anyway would it make sense to anyone else to sell mine cheap, like 5 grand, then pick up another 02 for like $2500 that needs a new tranny? I know getting the trans isnt going to cost $2500 so I would end up with some money in my pocket but everyone keeps telling me Im crazy for wanting to do it. I think its a smart choice since I know my tranny is going to fail eventually (hopefully not anytime soon though).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. If you are certain the trans is going to go, why not replace it for something else? The '02s have a terrible track record, and I can't see why you'd want to swap it for another.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. If you are certain the trans is going to go, why not replace it for something else? The '02s have a terrible track record, and I can't see why you'd want to swap it for another.

The point of it would be so I dont have to spend any money. Plus the other one has a V6 and I would like to scrap my V8 cuz the gas mileage is terrible, 14mpg is a good tank.

5k is not cheap for an 02 that has been in an accident, also, according to what I've read around in the forum, the difference in MPG's between v6 and v8 is not even noticeable and the v8 is a better engine.

So I see no point in you trying what you suggest

^Damage wasnt as bad as it looked. All they did was replace the rim the control arms take out some dents and replace the bumper (that was cracked anyway). I was getting offers of $6K 1500 miles ago so dropping the price $1K for something that basically has things fixed that were alreadt bad isnt that bad of a deal.

Gas mileage, I know people who have the V6 and they both get over 16 driving it harder then I drive mine.

This whole thing may just stem from me wanting heated seat and the ex in question is an EB.

IF you want to do it, which it sounds like you do... and you're set on doing it.. which it sounds like you are.. and you're only asking our opinion for support to help you justify the switch, and any reasons supporting keeping you're old vs replacing it are shot down, then yes.. it's a great idea.

on the fuel milage though, what people claim for milage, and the milage you end up getting are always different. there's people on here claiming 25mpg from their V8 explorers (not possible imo). i'm sure the v6 would get slightly better milage, anybody who argues that is only doing so to justify the v8 because they want more horsepower or whatever. so basically you're considering trading you're v8 ex for a v6 ex with a rebuilt transmission. well assuming both are in equal condition, and you have no use for the v8 (don't tow etc) then yeah you may gain a couple mpgs so maybe it's a good idea (and as stated earlier, you've already made up you're mind so just do it)

does the fact that it was in a wreck have anything to do with you wanting to sell it?

IF you want to do it, which it sounds like you do... and you're set on doing it.. which it sounds like you are.. and you're only asking our opinion for support to help you justify the switch, and any reasons supporting keeping you're old vs replacing it are shot down, then yes.. it's a great idea.

on the fuel milage though, what people claim for milage, and the milage you end up getting are always different. there's people on here claiming 25mpg from their V8 explorers (not possible imo). i'm sure the v6 would get slightly better milage, anybody who argues that is only doing so to justify the v8 because they want more horsepower or whatever. so basically you're considering trading you're v8 ex for a v6 ex with a rebuilt transmission. well assuming both are in equal condition, and you have no use for the v8 (don't tow etc) then yeah you may gain a couple mpgs so maybe it's a good idea (and as stated earlier, you've already made up you're mind so just do it)

does the fact that it was in a wreck have anything to do with you wanting to sell it?

Im not dead set on doing it, I just thought it made sense and would end up paying for the transmission. If I dont go for the other one I will probably just keep mine until I get something brand new. I just wanna get out of the Toyota Im driving while my ex is in the shop asap. I only went for the V8 because so many people reccomend it over the V6 saying the power is better and the gas mileage is the same. I dont see it. Mine doesnt feel all that powerful and I really hope the gas mileage isnt the same on the other explorers with the v6.

Im not dead set on doing it, I just thought it made sense and would end up paying for the transmission. If I dont go for the other one I will probably just keep mine until I get something brand new. I just wanna get out of the Toyota Im driving while my ex is in the shop asap. I only went for the V8 because so many people reccomend it over the V6 saying the power is better and the gas mileage is the same. I dont see it. Mine doesnt feel all that powerful and I really hope the gas mileage isnt the same on the other explorers with the v6.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do - get an upspec model for basically the cost of your current one. Assuming the trans is the only thing wrong with the new one of course.

On the mileage thing, both the V6 and the V8 have to move 4400lbs of metal around. While both engines have similar power, the V8 has around 20% more torque, and it's the torque that gets things moving. I get around 17l/100km mixed driving (city/highway) - I think that works out to 14mpg. If I use a heavy right foot, I get around 13mpg (18 to 19l /100km). On a highway run sitting on 120km/h (around 75mph), we have seen an average of 12/100km (around 19 mpg).

If the V6 gets 16mpg compared to my 14, then for every tank, I would only get around an extra 30 miles per tank, or basically an extra 2 gallons of fuel for the same miles travelled - that's about USD$3 to $4, I think - not worth the effort really, when the V8 goes and sounds so nice!

It doesnt sound like to bad of an idea. The downside is you getting a vehicle which could cost you more since there could be hidden problems. While the one you got now you have a good idea what you dealing with. How many miles do you have on your explorer?

As for the v8 vs v6 the gas milage is similar but the v6 has so much more potential for better gas compared the v8. Aldive is living proof of this. I have the sohc in my 98 and love the engine. But then again i upgrade from and older ex with the trusty ohv in it.

Back