WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW...New 4+plugs and Splitfire Wires

Hey folks,

I know I'm a little late to the party, no replies for the last 5 days, but I wanted to let you know what I was told. I purchased my Bosch P+4's at Advanced Auto Parts, and I asked for the Splitfire wires at the same time. The guy kindly asked me how many miles I had on my Explorer. When I told him I had 75,000, he told me that unless I was using some kind of high energy performance ignition system, that the wires were just a waste of money, and my OEM Ford wires should last about 100,000 miles. I didn't buy the wires, installed the plugs and a K&N filter, drilled the airbox and I'm thrilled with the performance gain. Any comments? Thanks

Jimi

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's

jimiday@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jimi,
Not meaning to sound crude, but I hate going to Advance. The reason being, at least 1 out of 3 times that I go there, they give me the wrong part. Then, when I take it back along with the old part to try and match up, they will sometimes argue with me saying that the part was not used on my model. I also ordered a brake caliper from them thru their PDQ program one day since they did not have it in stock. They told me it would be in the next day. I went ahead and left my car jacked up and the tire off so I would not have to do it again the next day. When I went to get the part the next morning, much to my surprise, the part was not there. The salesman told me it takes 2 days to get that part. I accepted the fact it was not there and would be the next day. I made arrangements to use another car for the day until I got my parts the NEXT day. The next day rolled around and I went to pick up the parts and again to my surprise, it was not there. This salesman told me it takes 3 days to get the part considering which warehouse it was coming from. I was very unhappy and let them know that. I also let them know I was told it would be there 2 days ago and he just ignored me. Finally the next morning, they got the part in. I brought it home and was ready to install it and get the car running. I took it out of the box and SURPRISE, it was the wrong D@%N side. I then took the part back and was told it would be 2 days...gee, this is beginning to sound like a broken record. I did get the right part finally and got it going. It almost took me a week after I was told it would be the next day. I still purchase parts from them but only if I have to. Their prices are usually higher than AutoZone and at least they do get stock in more than once a week. I still have a problem with people calling in on the phone and them answering the phone while I am standing there trying to be helped. Several times, I have been standing there and they ask me what I need and as I am telling them, phone rings and they answer it and take care of whoever on the phone after I have been waiting 10+ minutes. This is one of my pet peeves.

Getting back to your statement about the plug wires, Advance told me they do not stock them and could not even get them since they were not a dealer of the wires. I would challenge you to call them (since they do tend to think the phone customer is more important than the ones standing in front of them) and get a price on them and see if they could get them. I think you will find that they can't and that is why they told you the BS about 100,000 miles. I replaced my wires about 6 months ago with another parts store brand and decided to try the Splitfire wires anyway since I had heard so much about them. I know the new wires were still good, but I could tell an improvement with the Splitfire wires. The metal core is a much better conducter than the graphite or kevlar core that 90% of the other brands use.

I too did the airbox drilling and the K & N filter but I did not do it at the same time and did see a difference with each modification. I think you too would see a difference with the new wires in addition to what you have. The Splitfire wires have about one tenth of the resistance of the stock wires so the voltage supplied at the plug is much stronger than with stock.

Again, keep us informed and let us know what happens...especially if you try to order the Splitfire wires from Advance. I think you will find they can't get them anyway.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Jimi-If there is a weak link in the ignition system of an Explorer, it would be in the plug wires. Everything else is above standards. I would seriously reconsider and do the change to take advantage of your Bosch P+4s. You'll be happy that you spent the extra $55. Just my loose change on the topic.

Ira,

If I were you, I wouldn't go there EVER again. That kind of customer service is unacceptable and the fact that they didn't offer to do something for your trouble just compounds the situation.

The guy at Advanced did tell me that they couldn't get the wires, but they did stock replacement OEM wires which he still said were unneccessary. I am not one to argue with happy Explorer owners! I'll have a set by the end of next month - Thanks Scott for the input

BTW, I just had my Borla cat-back installed this morning and I love it! Thanks to Victor, I got it on the For Sale board on this site.

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's

jimiday@aol.com

Jimi-not a problem. Thats what we are all here for, to try and help each other out with problems and suggestions. I owe everyone here for what I have learned from their experiences and suggestions. Keep up the good work Jimi!

Back