• Register Today It's free!

Wrong tanny fluid?

xFatcatx

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND OREGON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SPORT
ok so i used the cheap fluid from autozone, Coastel Type F with my 5R55E when i did the VB on Friday (everyone can shake their heads now). After reading here more i see that you are only supposed to use Mercon V. It doesnt say Mervon V anywhere on the bottle of fluid. I figured it couldnt be much different from the more expensive stuff cause pennzoil, coastal, and quaker state are all the same stuff just different bottles. So, how bad did i screw up, is it 911 to get that stuff out of there and put in new fluid, and if so what kind, or can it wait? With the truck up on ramps for about a day and a half ill get about 8 quarts out, is that sufficient? I have never flushed a tranny myself and jiffy lube wants $90 to do it and i dont trust them. Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geeze... if you could pick a WRONG fluid, type F would be it.

You can do your own flush using the engine.... or pay someone to flush it. YOU NEED MERC V. If you pay someone do not accept Merc III with an additive, insist on seeing the proof they are using REAL Merc V, or do it yourself.

I read up on the flush, but i dont see how i could get it all out without it mixing? Maybe it works differently than i am pictureing. Anyways i went out and dropped the pan already, i leave it up on ramps for a few days, i think i should be able to get almost all of it that way.

Question: say i get like 9 quarts of the 10 and 3/4 out, can you start the vehicle for just a few seconds and will it kick the fluid out of the torque converter or can you damage something doing that?

Back