• Register Today It's free!

Wrong transmission fluid?

MikeDog123

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
My mechanic flushed and refilled my 97 Explorer transmission today - and he put Dexron III instead of Mercon V in it. He claims it's fine to do that. Is it ok, or should I make him refill it with Mercon V?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dexron is for GM vehicles... Mercon is for Fords

Dexron/Meron have generic counterparts that can cross with each other, however the cross for Dexron 3 is a lower grade than Mercon 5

Since it is your mechanic's mistake, he should be repsonsible for fixing it - he should have known and done the job properly in the first place

now, this isn't 100% a major problem, but it most likely will not hurt that the lower grade is in it.... However, it is always best to get it done properly and maybe the mechanic will pay attention next time

Your transmission requires Mercon V and your mechanic put in Dexron/Mercon III, the most common tranny fluid out there today. I would get that thing back there ASAP and get it flushed out and get the mistake in writing so that you can come back if you have a tranny issue in the near future. The trannys in Explorers are not nearly reliable enough for me to trust that a mistake like that won't hurt it.

I went back today, and now they are saying they used Dexron III plus an additive that "turns it into Mercon V." They showed me the bottle they used, which does say that on the bottle. I feel a little better, but I'm still bothered by it.

Hello Mike, was that additive by LubeGuard, a purple labeled box? I have Mercon III and that additive, which I am going to use in my 99 5R55E. I will be making a major trans change later, so this is saving some money.

LubeGuard is a very well respected additive. Regards,

He showed me the bottle - it was blue. I can't remember the brand name, though.

Personally I would flush it out ASAP and replace with Mercon V. I would then drive for 5000 miles and do it again.

The shop is trying to not have to buy Mercon V because it is very expensive, they are trying to take a shortcut by using the artificial stuff.
The addative may work allright, but I would not trust my transmission to it.
You think they measure out how much addative to fluid? No.
Are they liable if you are driving in 300 miles the trans goes, nope.
Are they currently being sued by somebody whos transmission was jacked up from poor service? Most likely (most high volume quick e lube shops are daily, drain plugs, leaks, wrong fluids)
Next time you know to ASK and CONFIRM all fluid types and filters used when somebody else performs service.

ATF or Dexron are not MERCON and WILL damage the transmission.

use III and the addative, yes.
They used DEXRON III not MERCON III

I'm pretty sure they used Dexron/Mercon III, as tranny fluid is usually sold like that. Its interchangeable between GM and Ford requiring that fluid, but not for Ford's Mercon V.

The Dexron/Mercon issue is a good question. They are both standards, and probably close to being equal. Most fluids list the standards which they meet, which is why most Mercon III fluid bottles might also claim the Dexron III standard.

If I thought that they used a Dexron III which didn't list the Mercon III standard, then I'd be trying to find out if the additive will be sufficient with that fluid. Ask a couple more questions. It is probably likely that what they used will suffice. The special Lubegard additive claims to surpass Mercon V performance. Good luck,

Back