Xenon Blue Superwhites HIDs and POLICE | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Xenon Blue Superwhites HIDs and POLICE

Everyone,

Just wondering about other's experience with the blue tint blubs as headlights. I just got a pair of Nokya SuperWhites which has a blue tint to it.... i know... i just wanted to see how close they actually look to HID's :D.

My question is, how do the Police feel about these blubs? Are they going to notice a real difference between these xenon's and HIDs? There might have been problems in the past few years, but now in 2001 with the new cars supporting more and more HIDs, do you think this is going to be a big problem as far as tickets go and me getting pulled over for lights?

just curious, didn't read much about tickets and police here.

thanks in advance

-pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by KaBoom

But what about the HID lights that are on the new mercades, BMWs, etc.... they have those expensive lights setup which give those awesome white/blue look... think that these xenons can fake that appearence to avoide unecessary tickets?

I think these DMVs (at least in NJ) are playing it safe and avoid making decsions by being binary: "If it ain't stock, you have problems."
Case in point:
I have an older PU with "clear" side glass that I wanted to tint (no black out, just to cool the cab down a little.) So I asked DMV what % cent tint was legal. Answer: None! It gets better!
If I replaced the windows with new factory tinted windows it was OK BUT if I tinted the existing windows with the same tint = NO
What am I missing?
In a rational society, they would all be in the incarcerated! The story about the lights doesn't surprise me.

Try to get something in writting from them!!!!! ....... yeah right!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm I live in NJ too. Which windows are you talking about. The law in NJ is that you can tint the back windows, and back passenger windows to any amount you want. Fronts cannot be tinted, and you are allowed 8 inches on your windshield. This I know is the law, so If the DMV tells you otherwise then they are just idiots. As long as you don't tint your front windows then you are fine.....
As far as the "real" xenons, they are not blue, they are white...they look blue when they are on and the gas is warming up...but if you really look at them, they are white, and as a matter of fact the bulbs don't even have a blueish tint. Technically they are illegal to fabricate on a car, unless they are installed properlly. HID ballasts have to have a emergency shutoff if the car is in an accident, for safety reasons because of the voltage that the unit puts out. However most people don't have that done, I'm not sure how often they really check that though....
I have a question for those of you who put "superwhites" in your turn signals. Did you put the real superwhites? I have Piaa superwhite headlights, and I was thinking of putting superwhites in my headlights, if they make them. I want them to be the same color as my headlights. The explorer has 2 lights in the turn signal assembly, one for the parking lights and one for the assembly. As long as you don't change the turn signal light i can't imagine anything illegal about it...

Yeah, i'm from PA and the tinting law is basically the same as NJ. But i did the passenger and driver side anyway. Nice little 35%, didn't want to get carried away or be a target for hogging. Besides, looks really good at night and all... i'll take pictures.

Maybe i'll go with the sylvania cool blues. DO they give off a white light or is it like the stock halogens that are yellow? I want to do something white but not go with piaa because they might be a distraction to other drivers and from my experience those big trucks that sit behind you with their brights on, kill me. Also, $60-$70 isn't pocket change for lights.

let me know what you think

-pete

Well it all depends on what you want...if you want to see, don't get the cool blues. I know people who have lights like those and they suck as far as lighting, especially in the rain...its almost as bad as when i have my headlight covers on. I have the PIAA's...they are expensive, but your paying for quality really, and they do put out alittle more light, but aren't too bright. Noone has complained yet...I don't see anypoint in buying new lights if your not going to get something better than your stock ones..

Diablo,

OK, so you're saying that there WON'T be any improvement with the sylvania lights, not much better than stock. Also those fake HID's suck and you won't be able to see well, blue glow.

BUT, the PIAA lights are much better, show off white (NOT yellow).

If that is the case, i'll pick myself up a pair.

If the PIAA's are white, any recommendation on blubs/company on matching the white color of the headlights with the foglights?

You won't get any improvement with the cheap lights, in fact you will probably see less. Those other lights are not xenon, they are just normal lights with a blue coating on it...which if you really think about it, it just tints the light, so less light comes out... True HID lights use xenon gas, not halogen concepts. The gas ignites and gives you a "blueish" color at first, but the lights are not blue.. Personally I like the PIAA superwhites, they are better in the rain than the fogs...just gotta keep your lenses clean.. Right now I have the stock fogs, they are yellow compared to the PIAA's, this was not the case with the stock headlights, so you will notice the difference. I would replace the fogs with some good piaas if i were you. Ask matt about the superwhites, i got them from him, i think they were like $60 or something, you can also get them on ebay...

I agree, PIAAs are the way to go, dont waste time on cheap replacements or yer just gonna get burned, yer better off with stock than the sylvanias as I've heard. If you are gonna match the fogs, and you have the 899 fog lights.. let me know if you find some bulbs, I need them, stock fogs and piaas just looks funny

bulbs

some FYI...

anything "blue" as far as lights go on any vehicle (except the police of course) is deemed illegal.

"Superwhite" and "Xenon" bulbs came out and ppl noticed they were way whiter than normal lights and gave out a "bluish" tint at certain angles...blue is technically brighter than white in the color spectrum ..so it was just that angle was a bit brighter..not taht it was supossed to be blue.

Cheap companies got the idea that "blue" lights would be cool and sell so they made em and they sold. However, those blue bulbs dont do much for your eyes at night...and will all but dissappear in foul weather. Stock bulbs are yellowish and believe it or not will work better in most conditions than blue tinted or cheap superwhites. PIAA superwhite and the new pinkish/yellowish HID look bulbs are what you want.

For right now...i have a Set of Street Glow HID headlight bulbs. Hey...they were on sale for $20 bucks a pair. I took out my stock bulbs, and put these in...and i must say. THere was a considerable amount of difference. It was just BRIGHT white lights...literally no blue. I am actually surprised at how brigh tthey are, becasue my friend has a pair of PIAA's for his car...and his aren't that much brighter. I mean, of course they are dimmer compaired to his...but for the amount of money i spent on mine....

I have seen these rainbow colored headlights around here...damn those are illegal. I was crusin downtown Naperville where i live...and some guy had them. He got in his car, turned his lights on, pulled out in the street, and withing a minute, he was pulled over. Look cool as hell, but also illegal as hell.

Carl

blue and hid imitation

i have BLUE total BLUE turn/parking lights and i also have Naxos Hyper White (with nice blue tint) which will light up and road sign or cop for that matter from well over 200 yards well around there anyway...and well i live in illinois and i haven't had a problem yet and i am the dumb kid who will drive around at 12am with only my blue parking lights on... hehe ill post a pic of them so you can see how blue there are..

ya, I'vew been thinking about what you said bmx, I beleive there is some new car out somewhere.. maybe a beamer or something that has those "rainbow" headlights.. also, there are many cars with stock clear turn signal lenses, I honestly don't know how police can say its illegal on your car, but not on another, sounds like discrimination doesn't it? :p

I have superwhites in my turn signals and I drive around like that, for the most part cops give me dirty looks, but as far as I know don't reallyu think much of it.. I guess they have better things to do, you know, stopping murders, aresting criminals, DUIs, those things have a higher importance than some guy with different colored turns heh.

btw bmx, do you drive with ALL those neons on? like, interior, grille.. not the tailllight neons of course heh but I had an idea to get some more interior lights, but I'm afraid a blue light towards the roof of a car may get me into some trouble

welp, after all your recommendations and stories, i decided to go with the PIAA 9007 superwhites!

I found a great person to deal with, got them for $49.95 + $4 shipping for a total of $53.95 brand new.

Can't wait to put them in!:D

Kaboom,

May I ask where or who you got your bulbs through? I am about to purchase the 9004 superwhites and they will run me about 65 bucks!

Is it possible for me to get mine through same person/place as you did?

Thanks!

keyparts@interbaun.com

dude name is Gene

He's from Canada, I just got them this past weekend. I haven't had a chance to put them in, will try today.

Very good with emails, recommended.

Back