Xenon Blue Superwhites HIDs and POLICE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Xenon Blue Superwhites HIDs and POLICE

Everyone,

Just wondering about other's experience with the blue tint blubs as headlights. I just got a pair of Nokya SuperWhites which has a blue tint to it.... i know... i just wanted to see how close they actually look to HID's :D.

My question is, how do the Police feel about these blubs? Are they going to notice a real difference between these xenon's and HIDs? There might have been problems in the past few years, but now in 2001 with the new cars supporting more and more HIDs, do you think this is going to be a big problem as far as tickets go and me getting pulled over for lights?

just curious, didn't read much about tickets and police here.

thanks in advance

-pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they even illegal??

I just had an officer want to take a closer look at my loud exhaust last night. He also liked my illegal raised bar taillight guards. He said anything that is covering the rear lens is illegal in WI. What a joke. I figured while I had this nice man's attention I asked him if my headlights were also bending laws but he did not care to look. He said green and blue are illegal and the only thing coming at you can be white and amber. If you look at a superwhite at night it is white while stock lenses are yellow so I am still legal.

From what I understand, as long as they are DOT approved they are legal. It would be marked on the box or at least on the back of the bulbs.

I know that these new blue-tintish blubs aren't DOT approved. From what i'm aware of, the most common aftermarket blubs are the PIAA superwhites which are DOT approved but do NOT give off the bluish tint to them.

But what about the HID lights that are on the new mercades, BMWs, etc.... they have those expensive lights setup which give those awesome white/blue look... think that these xenons can fake that appearence to avoide unecessary tickets?

i'm in PA by the way,

-pete

nope, the piaas are not some cheap HID imitation.. sorry man heh, but to me, if you want the HID look, save yourself some greif with the police and get some real ones.. I know they cost a lot, but the fake HIDs aren't near as bright as a stock bulb as it is my understanding, and it just looks.. I dunno, ricey to me, to have false bulbs like that in there, I run the piaa superwhites, no blue, but thats quite alright heh the light they give off is great, and my lights are still a cleaner white than others.

about that law with the taillights, I've heard of that before, but I personally think that is one of the dumbest laws in this country, give people a break ya know? but infact, it is illegal to have anything over the headlights and taillights, technically my vehicle is a big rolling crime.. after market exhaust that makes it louder than stock, clear lenses, superwhite turns in the front, blue underbody neons, taillight and headlight guards heh, but whats someone to do? you can't mod a car and keep it legal these days

Didn't see it mentioned specifically, but even true HID conversions aren't legal. If your car doesn't have separate bulbs for low/high beams, you can get dinged for that. Another thing about cars with HID, as far as WA State law goes, if you don't have an auto-leveling device to keep the HID beam on the road and from melting oncoming traffic's eyes, it isn't legal either. Nitpicky, but something to keep in mind before shelling out $700 :)

here in nc they aren't illegal. hell, i've driven past plenty of state troopers, sherrifs, and city police with both my blue-superwhites and my piaa 1500 driving lights in my factory fog location without them doing anything. just be sure to aim them properly after you're done installing them. they will pull you for a mis-aimed headlight that's hailing airplanes. just remember the general rule of that you can do anything, but do it in moderation.

you never know.. they may just not enforce it.. clear lenses, anything besides amber turn signals, and those imitation HIDs are illegal here, but there are so many people here that have things like.. red front turns, NO front turns, clears all around w/ white bulbs, imitationh HIDs, today I saw a camaro with his taillights painted over green.. all that worked was his 3rd brake light..

some cops are cool, some aren't.. heh, best way to know is to look around.. for example, I told myself I would not byu clears until I saw the same car with them more than once.. well, I saw the same honda parked outside of onna thoes quick oil change places for 6 months with em, so I got em heh

i got a friend whose parents are cops and i asked them about the blue headlights(which i had). keep in mind i did not have hiper whites, these were BLUE headlights. and basically my freinds mom said she wouldnt pull somebody over for blue headlights

Blue headlights?
Isn't that kinda dangerous considering you don't have any whites in it at all? How does that even look during rain and nights? Be careful if you're not getting at least the same results with stock.

so i'm guessing, cops really don't mind if they come close, with a blue tint and stuff. i would be interest in hearing from people who have gotten pulled over for those lights. I'm kinda reluctant and put these in due to the fact of overheating, bad lighting, etc..... should i bother about this stuff or is it people's opinions of their quality? i'm going to put in some xenons superwhite tint blues 80/85w.

-pete

I got pulled over and ticket for having superwhite bulbs in my turn signals. The "officer" (i'm being kind here) thought that they were blue and when I told him they were white, he said "Well those are illegal too". Asshole. As he ticketed me I told him why doesnt he go after some real criminals, to which he replied, "Have a nice day." grrrrrr

sideswipe,

did you have superwhites in your headlights also?

how much was the ticket? did you get the blubs changed/replaced?

pete

I have the PIAA superwhites in my headlights, he did not give me a ticket for those. He did give me 1 ticket for EACH TURN SIGNAL. *******. They were fix-its, so I just changed the bulbs back out to yellow, went to the precinct to let the cops see them, they filled out a form and I mailed it in, there was no fine if I fixed it within 24 hours, which of course, I did.

I had imitation HID CUZO 9004s and i did get pulled over. the cop said they were too blue and must only be white. I had on my security jacket and was able to talk my way out of it. i said they were sylvania cool blue lights that i got at kragen's and ive had them over a month and no one has said anyhting before. I also told him that they were DOT fmvss108 approved and SAE approved. He let me go

You know that I agree with you bro, besides, a few of the "luxury" cars do have white turn signals, from the FACTORY. Go figure...

since when is it illegal to have white lights on the front of your car? hell, there are people here with RED TURNS on the front of their car. and they drive with their parking lights only on at night.. which makes it look like a cars rearend is coming towards you.. its whack.. the superwhites are 200% better than using those horrible yellow turns.. when I turn on my turn signal.. I can SEE whats beside my vehicle where I'm about to turn, and to me, no matter what color, a flashing light on the front of a vehicle means that that vehicle is turning..

i do admit the BLUE headlights i had did not light up anything, i probably had more light comin off of the fireflies smashed onto my bumper. they looked really cool though from head on. i did get pulled over for speeding at night with them the cop checked glanced over my vehicle (taillights, headlights, tags, and inspection) but he didnt say anything about the blue headlights. maybe i was just lucky but i have since then changed back to standard halogens(i can finally see:eek: now)

I had those hiperwhite bulbs for my turn signals (i have clears up front) and they looked blueish to me I had them in for a few months and I never got pulled over. Now I have red bulbs up front, had them for 2 months before I got yanked. When I got pulled over it was during one of the superblitz that we have here (basicly where theres a cop car for every other car and they find any reason to pull over and ticket) I got a ticket for the but I took before and after dated pictures and goto court for them on the 15th. I just put my red ones back in, they can pull me over again if they want I don't care. I also got red bulbs that shine on the license plate. It also depends on the cop also...one weekend on got pulled over 3 times. Not once did they even comment about my lights. And the cop that gave me the ticket for my red lights told me he didn't want to give me a ticket but he had too cause an old lady might see me flick a turn signal on and think im an emergency vehicle and yield to the right. Maybe thats a good thing though cause i'm always in the left lane and old ladies drive too slow, ha, but whatever thats my 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i got that same pair of lights. what a pile of crap. they aren't bright at all, but i do admit they are blue...never got pulled over by illinois state police (damn bacon) or my local south elgin or st. charles police

Back