• Register Today It's free!

Xls bumper painting

xartic

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So i have received a new front bumper from an eddie baurer thats unpainted, and i plan on having it paintly shortly. My question is, will the stock xls rear bumper be able to be painted without any paint flaking worries. I ask this because the ford dealership around here told me that the xls has a textured surface and the paint will be able to go on, but he cannot guarantee for it to remain like that. Will this be safe for me to sign the waiver on the lifetime warranty of the paint, or should i not waste my money on the rear bumper, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well if the surface is textured can't you just sand it down a bit?

well im not really experienced with that, but im sure either the shop can do that, or my brother can, and by sand, do you mean wet sand, or just regular sanding

Texture would probably require sandblasting to prepare the surface. Sanding, wet or dry, would smooth the texture and probably ruin the appearance.

im not worried about ruining the appearance, since i am going for a smooth look, then going to prep it and have someone paint it, but i was just wondering if sanding it down would smoothen out the texture, so i can then prep it, then have it painted

Texture would probably require sandblasting to prepare the surface. Sanding, wet or dry, would smooth the texture and probably ruin the appearance.

Sandblasting is fun :cool:

itll have a textured look to the paint- but what you need to be careful of is if the shop has the proper ratio/mix of the flex additive... because, if you simply bump a painted bumper that wasnt prepped and sprayed correctly- the paint will basically shatter and fall off

Back