• Register Today It's free!

XLT wont start, not the IAC...

POSexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I cleaned the IAC on my wife's 1999 XLT Xplorer. It has the 4.0 SOHC engine. We checked all the connections and cleaned out the IAC with electronic parts cleaner which was suggested on this website. What else could cause the problem. The car will NOT start unless you keep your foot on the gas. It you take your foot off the gas after it has started, it will immediately die.

I am goign to replace the fuel filter tommorow. Someone mentioned the MAF might be bad. I would assume that stands for Mass Air FLow sensor? Is this correct? If so, is it located on the air intake tubing?

I am desperate for help, as I can't think of any other things to check. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, try cleaning the MAS (between the air filter and intake hose).

Could also be the fuel system: fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator.

i dont know enough about explorers to get techincal about them but i had a friend that had the exact same problem. when he took it to the shop there was some piece that had to do with the electrical (what he told me) that eas like 600 bucks to replace, his car was under warranty but supposably it's an easy fix.. i dont think it has to do with cleaning anything so i wouldnt waste anymore time.. go get it checked out and i can almost guarantee you you have to have something replaced..

Sometimes the IAC can't be fixed by cleaning it. Your IAC may need to be replaced.

I dont think the IAC would cause it to not start. IAC controls the idle at cold starts. You can start by testing to see if you got spark at the plugs. Pull sparkplug wire stick screwdriver in the end hold close to good ground and see if spark jumps to the ground. If you got spark you got a fuel problem or all you sparkplugs fouled out at the same time unlikely. Then you need to check FPR (fuel presure regulator), fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.;) Hope this helps:thumbsup:

The IAC WILL cause the truck not to start. Read through the multiple threads on this site where people have had a no-start on a late model explorer and you will find the most likely cause is the IAC.

throttle plate & body

Like Jason said , it still could be the IAC.
But before replacing it try cleaning the throttle body and the plate if you havent already. Pay close attention to the throttle plate edges.

Did you clean the IAC due to this no start, or did it happen after cleaning?

If cleaning the IAC and the throttle body didnt work, I would replace the IAC.

No, the carwould not start before I cleaned the IAC. Today I plan on replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the Mas. If this doesn't work, then I will probably just replace the IAC. If that doesn't help, I am going to buy some C4 and see if that doesn't help :D

'99 with the SOHC engine.... Have you had ONP 00M12 and 01M01 warranty work done?? Sounds like possibly the intake manifold O-Rings leaking.... covered under 00M12.

it doesnt sound like the o-rings to me...unless it started out as a really rough idle and gradually turned into this. keep us posted!

Okay, update...
changed the fuel filter, checked for anything blocking the air intake, cleaned the MAS and made sure that all the visible vacuumm lines were hooked up. The problem still persists.
The car will only start up if you are giving it gas. You have to continue giving it gas or else the car will immediately loose RPMs and shut down. It is almost as if the car is not holding an idle. Are there any kind of idle control valves or solenoids which control the idle. I am starting to suspect possibly the fuel pump, but I am by no means sure.

IAC stands for Idle Air Control :rolleyes:

hey, cut me some slack I am a NEWBIE. I figured that is what it standed for, but I am by no means experienced with Fords. I myself have a Trans Am. So would the next step be to replace the IAC, or look down a different path.

Yes,

Replace the IAC and clean the throttle body

Back