• Register Today It's free!

92 explrer xlt wont start

crash4204

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
i tried replacing the fuel filter thought maybe it was clogged but even still it wont start i hear the fuel pump prime but i dont smeel any gas when im trying to start it any ideas on what it could be ? i have heard fords fuel system is pretty complex and im no master machanic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it. You can get one for cheap at the Zone. That is where I would start. Could be your coil pack is gone need to test for that as well. But first did you check the maxi fuses under the hood for ign? Check all fuses. Ok

i cjecked all the fuses none are blown ganna go get the fuel pressure gage ill let u know how it goes
thanks

find the vavle for the fuel pressure,i think there in the back of the motor on the 1st gens..check the pressure,the filter is back on the right way though right?

Squirt some ether into the intake and see if it starts for a few seconds. If so, then the problem is definitely fuel delivery related. If not, check for spark.

Make sure your getting power to the distributor pack by grabbing one of the spark plug wires and putting a screw driver in it. if you get a shock, its fine. Could also be the rotter in the distributor has been warn down. (Thats if your engine belts do turn over, but if your belts don't then it could be something else) IE corroded battery wires...

checked the coil its workin fine but the pressure gage is 40 bucks ganna have to wait till pay day for that and yeah the filter is back on the right way im stumped

just see if you getting fuel in the first place locate the schrader valve and see if fuel comes out

checked the coil its workin fine but the pressure gage is 40 bucks ganna have to wait till pay day for that and yeah the filter is back on the right way im stumped

I know your pain of waiting till payday, you and I brother lol... Thats why we drive EXPLORERS! lol

no fuel comes out of the valve but i hear my fuel pump prime when i turn the key but now im not even getting any spark do u think the problem could be in the electrical before the coil pack ? and if my fuel pump primes should i check the fuel pressure regulator?

Certainly could be. Diagnostic steps I'd probably include:

1) pull codes. No spark and no fuel often points to a problem in engine management. Certain causes of a no start will leave clues in the trouble codes. Only takes a few minutes and requires nothing more sophisticated than a paper clip. See stickies in EEC-IV forum for instructions.

2) Definitely put a fuel pressure gauge on it. Just because you hear the pump prime doesn't mean it is generating enough pressure.

ok so pretty much narrowed it down to the ICM anyone in colorado got a spare? lol their 160 bucks

Back