• Register Today It's free!

help! 97 xlt wont start

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
I have a 97 Explorer XLT OHC with 190,000 miles. Recently it has been rough starting or won't start at all. It turns over great but won't catch to start. It will start when I spray starting fluid into the intake. Any ideas what would cause this or what I should check first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next time you go to start it turn the key to on but don't start. After a few seconds, press accelerator and try to start. If this helps, it's a fuel problem. I'd change fuel filter and check your lines. Maybe borrow a fuel pressure tester from autozone. Hope this helped a little.

Tried giving it gas & makes no difference. It only starts when I spray starting fluid into the intake. It will start after that as long as the engine is still warm.

I put a new IAC valve yesterday and still had the same problem. Started it up with the starting fluid & it ran great after that. Any more ideas?

Could it be a compression issue? Maybe go to autozone and borrow a cylinder compression gauge. Make sure you let your car warm up, rip out ALL the plugs, then do the compression check. I believe there is a thread on this site that will help you with this, but I can't find it right now.

Replace fuel filter

Do you have a CEL? If so, read the DTCs.

Try cleaning your MAF sensor.

Has it been more than 30,000 miles since you replaced your fuel filter? If so, I suggest that you replace it. See Why change fuel filter?.

Then add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel tank and check your fuel pressure: Fuel pressure test procedure

If you're still having cold start problems then I suggest that you test your engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. The PCM reads the output of the ECT sensor and richens the fuel mixture when the engine is cold.

Sounds like the fuel system is not delivering enough...

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Since the engine started with starting fluid you are getting some fuel pressure...Perhaps just not enough to run the engine when it is cold...

You could also have a defective ETC sensor... The ETC determines the length of injector pulse based on engine coolant temperature...IF this sensor is not functioning properly the injector pulse when cold may not be enough to run the engine...

Thanks for all the responses! I cleaned the MAF sensor & it starts up great but I now have a new problem that I didn't have before cleaning it!

I'm getting code P0122 & it is idling at about 1300rmp. It also is now shifting a little rough where before it was nice and smooth through all the gears. Any ideas what I can do now?

Still have the P0122 code after about 100 miles of driving...any ideas?

disconnect your battery and let the system "re-learn" its "mixture settings".

I had the battery disconnected when I cleaned the MAF sensor. I'll give it a shot again though.

I'm still getting the P0122 code. It didn't come on until after I cleaned the MAF sensor. Any more ideas what might be causing it?

For anyone interested - I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor & my explorer is running like new again!

Start problem

I've got a similar problem....strong cranking but no ignition to the coil pack... trying to solve. I suspect the 'theft' device is triggered and has not reset to enable starting.......any ideas and suggestions welcome

I was previously getting the P0068 code so I took out the MAF and gave it a shot with MAF cleaner. Then I started getting the P0122 code. I too replaced the TPS and am still getting P0122. It shifts hard and wants to stall while stopped but in drive. When I installed the new TPS, I positioned the guides past the flat shaft and turned the unit COUNTER CLOCKWISE to line up the holes. I felt a slight risitance like the unit wanted to turn clockwise while inserting the screws. Am on the correct side of the shaft? Is the sensoro suppose to resist against the shaft when the shaft turns clockwise or should it be helping the shaft turn? Reason I ask is it seems the way it bogs while in drive and stopped, it seems like the TPS should be turning the shaft clockwise to give it gas. Any help please? I need to get on the road... my only vehicle and I need to get it inspected.

Back