Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install

First off...

'78 Ford F-250 HPD44
5.13 gears spooled
Yukon 4340 inners and outers
Alloy USA u-joints and full circle clips
Highsteer using 1.5" OD DOM
Warn Premium hubs

Fornt axle is already built, i just have to move the front perches in a few inches and re-paint it

Rear will be a GM 14bFF
5.13 gears
welded spiders
RuffStuff disc conversion
late '70's disc brakes and rotors

I will start building the rear in a few weeks

D44 vs. D60 as everyone has seen before
HPIM0148.jpg

HP D44, just got to clean it up and move the perches in a few inches and it will be ready for boltup...next to TJ's D60.

Here it is finishing up, just got to install the drivers side 4340's and finish installing hubs

HPIM0149.jpg

HPIM0151.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

HPIM0152.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow sounds like we'll have almost the same setup!

I've gotta say thats the first time ive seen a paint job like that on a differential cover...

that diff cover will not look like that when it is under my truck :thumbsup:...hence the paint up

As far as brake lines go on the 14B, i will try to have a complete write up on what lines i used so that anyone else will be able to do this.. I will be trying to use over the counter brake lines and such so no special ordering will be involved...but no promises.

I will be using Ford dual piston front calipers and chevy 3/4 ton rear calipers, so i am pretty sure the stock MasterCylinder will not work. Plan right now is to use '78 or '90's F-250 master cylinder with an Adj. Prop valve on the rear brakes. Just found out that a '78 Mercury Grand Marquis MC will also work, i will probably go this route instead of the F-250, not sure yet, the Marquis is set up for 4 wheel discs

I will be starting out with probably a 37" tire of some sort if i am not satisfied a 38.5" will be my max on this front end even with 4340's, but i think the right 37" tire will be fine.

Hahaha, i didn't even think i was this smart :eek: to figure this all out, but its cake..this is almost more fun that wheeling it :D

Izwack, the only reason why i'm welding the rear is because i got stuck with a Gov-Lock carrier........I would prefer a Detroit, if ANYBODY knows a pretty good lead on a 14BFF open carrier please help me out, there are none around here that i can find

I'm wondering how well that front end is gonna handle with a fulls spool, but at least you have chromos and superjoints so you're ahead of the game.

What'd you do with that Jeep D44 you were gonna use?

I'm wondering how well that front end is gonna handle with a fulls spool, but at least you have chromos and superjoints so you're ahead of the game.

What'd you do with that Jeep D44 you were gonna use?

Basically gave it away

1.5" OD DOM Tube inserts for steering
HPIM0153.jpg

HPIM0154.jpg

HPIM0155.jpg

I found some rear brake lines that will work on 2nd gen explorers that will extend your stock line, you can get it at AutoZone Part #88284, it's a M-F 3/16ths extention

If you are Swapping axles and need a T-Fitting to go to the rear axle that will bolt to your stock hard line instead of using fords y-style setup you can use these, look at part #s 88645 and 88471.... i think the only difference is the scalloped side fo the Tee where it bolts to teh axle....

AutoZone Part #'s

If needed, i just got this

HPIM0156.jpg

More surprises at the door

HPIM0157.jpg

14B master install kit with Pinion nut
HPIM0159.jpg

HPIM0160.jpg

New Ring gear bolts
HPIM0161.jpg

1330 to 1350 Conversion joint for the rear Axle
HPIM0162.jpg

14B 5.13 thick gears
HPIM0164.jpg

HPIM0165.jpg

If you have never seen 14b gears in person, this might put it into perspective
HPIM0166.jpg

14b woot! That gear is theeeck, she's theeeck..
icon_eek.gif

And More

14B Disk brake caliper brackets and 14B spring perches, u-bolts, u-bolt plates and shock tabs

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0172.jpg

Thats beef
.%5Cicon%5Csteak.gif

tom woods 14B Pinion Yoke with u-bolt straps

HPIM0174.jpg

HPIM0173.jpg

Isn't collecting parts aggravating for a build .. all you can do is sit and stare :D

Isn't collecting parts aggravating for a build .. all you can do is sit and stare :D

Yes, totally...

But i believe that is everything for the rear minus the calipers and rotors and lines....hopefully i will start building next weekend

For the front i need to order Hydro Asst. parts and tap a box

Dang, nice assembly of parts you have there. You've layed out a bunch of $$, hope it turns out how you'd hoped.

Dang, nice assembly of parts you have there. You've layed out a bunch of $$, hope it turns out how you'd hoped.

Thanks, me tooo, we'll just have to wait and see

Try routing your proportioning valve into the cab. Having it in the wheel well sucks, beucase i have to get out to adjust it for different road conditions.

But i found the best setup that locks the front first, then the rear second...finally after 3 months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try routing your proportioning valve into the cab. Having it in the wheel well sucks, beucase i have to get out to adjust it for different road conditions.

But i found the best setup that locks the front first, then the rear second...finally after 3 months.

Cool, i'll keep that in mind when i route brake lines, as a last resort, i'll probably mount it by the MC.....but in the cab would be awesome i'll definitely try

thanks

Back