• Register Today It's free!

York Compressor for OBA?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
I picked up a York 210 today with the intention of fabricating a bracket to enable me to mount it up for engine-powered on board air. I've read about using a Sanden compressor in place of the stock A/C unit but I put too much work into my A/C and really like having it, so the York will be in addition to the everything else. The plan is to mount it on the driver side, next to the power steering pump, then add a pulley to the front of the PS pump to operate the York.

I've read where people have discussed doing a York but couldn't find a single write-up of someone actually installing one. Has it been done or does everyone else here just do electric compressors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a writeup I bookmarked a while back documenting setting up a York on a Jeep.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

Still has a lot of good useful info. I've been thinking about doing this for a while as well, the Yorks are supposed to be great units.

I ride with four guys on a regular basis- one has a single compressor and 8oz tank, one has dual compressors and a 2-gal tank, and one has a York with no tank. The guy with the York is usually done airing all four 37s before either of the other two finish two 35s.

Pushing forward on this... the York I pulled has a huge bracket assembly on it still... and I think I can cut up the brackets and use it to mount off the left side of the alternator bracket. I'm also wanting to use a serpentine belt to just add it to my existing system instead of having a dedicated pulley for the York. We'll see how that goes.

I think I just figured out how I'm going to use the compressor as a tensioner, as well. I'm going to the junk yard to get a spare alternator bracket assembly to use for mocking up the York bracket and will post up if/when I make some sort of progress.

The biggest problem I'm having is that I planned for this to be a budget install (I have buddies who can weld, I have spare steel all over, and I have an air tank and lines already, so it's a reasonable thought) but serpentine clutches for the York are sky high- everyone wants $165+ for them. That's ridiculous- I may stick to adding a V-belt pulley to the alternator if I can't find a serpentine clutch at a reasonable price. I just think having a serpentine set-up would make it that much cleaner of an install.

Take lot of pics. I was going to do it but found a kill deal on a electric compressor and everything and just got it for the time being.

I still will probably do the York one day also.

Are you still running AC? I removed mine and it makes a great place to that York.

Yes, still running A/C. I also have the York shoehorned onto the passenger side of the motor. It came to a screeching halt when my wife gave me the go to buy a 2011 Mustang GT as soon as I sell my truck and station wagon. Throw into the mix that we close on a house in two weeks and I just haven't had a chance to finish this.

Not yet- I'm going to change its oil today or tomorrow and will snap a shot then. I'm not sure I 100% like the placement. I may adjust it over and back and switch it to a serpentine clutch. Of all things, the exhaust manifold is the biggest hindrance on location.

No, man. I'm sorry- haven't had a single break from all the big events we have going on right now. It's parked at my parents' house since I'm limited on space where I'm living right now. Hopefully I'll have the truck sold tomorrow so I can get the Explorer home again and do a little maintenance and get those pictures for you. I haven't forgotten; I've just been incredibly busy.

Back