Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

I have a question. Im going to do the TT to my 97XLT in a few weeks. Im also going with shackles on the rear. What size tires do you think I would be able to get in there without worrying about bad rubbing??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I live on a farm and i have the necessary tools to do a TT with Shackles. I havea few ?'s...
1.About how long does it take? (hours/mins)
2.Where is best to measure ie wheel to wheel well, ground to wheel well, or...?
3. How do you install the rear Shackles?

I already have the shackles and a few days off work trying to see if it can be done in a day.

2.Where is best to measure ie wheel to wheel well, ground to wheel well, or...?

you know, I was about to ask this same question.

Where does everybody measure to know they gained 2 inches?
per Chiltons, to measure ride height, you take a measurement from the center of the lower control arm bushing to the ground (measurement A) and a measurement from the lowest part of the knuckle to the ground (measurement B) then take A - B = ride height
now, stock ride height (per Chiltons) is around 4.2-4.4" (I believe?) for a NON-air suspension.

Now... when measuring the amount of lift gained for a torsion twist, do you use this measurement, which would mean you can go to ~6" for a 2" gain?

Reason I ask... measuring this way, I have ~1.5"
the other day, I cranked the bars ~1/4 turn more, to make sure I'd have ample room to relieve any possible rubbing when turning.
But, when I did this, I started feeling more vibes. I cranked them back down ~1/4", and the vibes lessened. I'm on my 3rd set of CV axles; this time they were brand new ones, rather than remanu'ed.

I was measuring around ~5.25-5.5"
I know the 1/4 turn didn't raise it another 0.5"

From what I have read is that 3 turns is all you need. But im curious of how to measure too. Im planning on doing this very soon. Is that true? Only three turns of the bolts is all I will need?

as many have said already the best place to measure is from the ground to the top of the arch on the wheel well. This location will give you the best indicator for each individual wheel. If you measure from suspension parts you may end up not getting a good indication of how much each wheel has been effected.

actually, I would expect the center of the hub to the wheel well, as this will not take into effect the tire height, which obviously can change with different amount of air pressure. Which also proves helpful if you don't have a paved driveway or otherwise un-even spot to park.

I'm also curious as to what the actual ride-height measurements are for those that got a "full 2 inches"

welcome to my world all i have to park on is gravel or dirt in a barn. none of which are exactly level. with what ive read people measured from the top of the wheel to the arch of the wheel well. i have yet to try it, just too scared im going to mess something up.

Well i wouldnt measure from the top of the wheel because if your tire tread is different it wont be accurate. Measure from the center of your hub. Thats what im going to do.

yeah that makes a little more sense. also how soon after this is done should an alignment be done?

well... I'd like to add a bit.
Measuring actual ride-height, my truck is sitting at about 5.5-5.75.
This is >1.5" above OEM ride height (4.33-4.56)

the angle caused by this increased ride-height is causing my CV's to cause vibes.

just an FYI.

the center-of-hub to bottom of fender measurement I was getting with this ride height was ~25.25", which would be ~22.25" without the body lift.

You most likely will need an alignment right after you do it. Thank god I can do it free at work cuz I have a feeling im going to be playing with this for a bit to get it right lol

the angle caused by this increased ride-height is causing my CV's to cause vibes.

now is that in turn making them go out or just vibrate really bad? bc if so you might have gone too high

now is that in turn making them go out or just vibrate really bad? bc if so you might have gone too high

uhhh... yes, I know I went too high.

is tt dangerous for your car? and if you do it around 1.5 inches will it still damage the stuff?

is tt dangerous for your car? and if you do it around 1.5 inches will it still damage the stuff?

if you have a 4WD or AWD, twisting the bars too much is bad. Dangerous? Well, I guess it could be...

2" is the max you are advised to go, when using the torsion twist.

Measure from the center of the wheel hub, to the bottom of the fender. Tighten the bar, cycle the suspension, measure again.

I would say to stick with about 1.5", and if you want to go higher, wait until you've put a few miles on to make sure the suspension has fully settled.

I would say to stick with about 1.5", and if you want to go higher, wait until you've put a few miles on to make sure the suspension has fully settled.

so, if i stick to 1.5 it wont damage anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I know if my torsion bar has already been twisted?

is there a way to tell?

I have a 2wd and have the procomp suspension lift, but I dont know if they did a tt as well.

Back