LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,432

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job ld50.

BTW those mountains in the background look amazing.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks snoboarder, I`ll remember that tip when I design it.

Izwack, BC is pretty mountainous overall, here is mount Hope, seen from my backyard..

Attachments

• October 2006 009.JPG
    October 2006 009.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 735

Thanks guys,
My shocks are RanchoRS9000XL #RS999012

Still waiting on my flares, I`m hoping to slap some insurance on and do an inaugural trip/test this weekend but I don`t want to drive flareless and get an inspection order...

Worked on the front crossmember today, eventually I`ll incorporate a receiver hitch into it, but not today.

As you can see, when I did my 2 inch body lift years ago, I just cut the ends of the frame and moved the cutoff portion up 2 inches; in case you`re wondering ;)

Attachments

• front crossmember 1.JPG
    front crossmember 1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 682
  • front crossmember 2.JPG
    front crossmember 2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 687
  • front crossmember 3.JPG
    front crossmember 3.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 661

I did the work up at my workplace, we have a loading ramp, So I flexed out to see how it looks. Not high enough to make a tire finish extending but I think it`s flexing nicely.
The front shock on the forward flex has quite a bit of room. The rear bumpstops are actually useless, unless I lower them -or I could just chuck`em.

These are the forward ramp pics, with shock pics:

Attachments

• flexramp front shock 2.JPG
    flexramp front shock 2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 679
  • flexramp rear shock 1.JPG
    flexramp rear shock 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 672
  • flexramp 1b.JPG
    flexramp 1b.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 881
  • flexramp 1.JPG
    flexramp 1.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 867

Then I backed up it to see. I magaged to compress the front shock more this time..

These are the rear ramp pics, with front shock pic:

Attachments

• flexramp 2.JPG
    flexramp 2.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 9,012
  • flexramp 2b.JPG
    flexramp 2b.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 876
  • flexramp front shock 1.JPG
    flexramp front shock 1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 660

Does your tire hit the bumper at full stuff. Mine does:)

Nope, but you have bigger tires and your axle is slightly further ahead than mine, so it makes sense.

Looks great man, nice flex!

I think its because I moved the axle forward like 3" and you have a cool custom bumper.

I still can't believe how different it looks in real life, the pictures really don't do it justice. You need to take a picture beside your wifes Ex.

Carson

i moved mine about 3" forward and I had to trim alot of the front fender.

Hey people.
Well I wanted to test the Ex out and see what would break, if anything.
So I figured; Why not enter it in a 4x4 obstacle course?
In town they have a 4x4 competition a couple times a year so I donned my Explorerforum T-shirt and entered the competition for 40 bucks and a chance at a cash prize and a trophy. Well I got a trophy, but I didn`t even come in third place, which was a whopping ten dollar purse.
Some of these guys were nuts, the winner in my class drove a Ranger like the devil was on his ass or he was hopped up on speed, can`t decide which. Anyway, he drove that thing like he stole it, hat`s off to ya, whoever you were. Me, I just wanted to pound the bugs out of the Ex and have a memorable time while I was at it. I thought I had third place nailed, but I guess my math wasn`t too good. Anyway, I wouldn`t want to kill my baby for a handful of locals and a tiny purse, right?
A lot of people were telling me my truck was too nice and clean to run it here, saying "don`t wreck it". Overall everyone seemed to really like how the Explorer turned out.
This was quite the adrenaline rush I tell ya.

P.S. I got my flares on.

Attachments

• entry.JPG
    entry.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 602

can`t remember exactly, but at least 5 trucks got destroyed. The first pick is one of the best jumpers of the day.

The next two are a guy who won a trip to the hospital, with what they tell me was a compressed spine. He hit HARD! When he came down his rear tires hit first and SLAMMED him to the ground, popping a tire and putting him unconscious for a few minutes. While the truck was bouncing, he flopped around like a sick ***** getting slapped by her drug dealer, very scary. He was taken out on a spine board, I hope he is okay.

Attachments

• best jump.JPG
    best jump.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 617
  • last second of consciousness.JPG
    last second of consciousness.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 589
  • last second of consciousness 2.JPG
    last second of consciousness 2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 608

Anyway, nothing broke, but I did bend some things I figured might bend eventually. Anyone guess what bent? :p:

Back