no name B2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no name B2

gas tank installed and operational

just placed my order with PORC for my 4.88R gears and install kit to my door $198

and i'll have a carrier next week to go with it

building my trac bar mount to the frame right now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I def need softer coils

picturesfromphone002.jpg

picturesfromphone003.jpg

picturesfromphone004.jpg

picturesfromphone005.jpg

picturesfromphone006.jpg

picturesfromphone007-1.jpg

okay i bought my frt gears and a new carrier, welded the spiders up, i installed the gears so now i have 4wd. I also ordered some 5.5" Superflex EB coils and got them done,

Okay got my springs installed, their not broke in yet, but they are softer then my SJ's but not as soft as i would like. Maybe they'll get softer as they break in.

Got my front headlights and parking lights wired up. Also got my Winch hooked up and i'll have to make due with the shorter winch cable for now. Still need to make a few more braces to the frame/bumper to strengthen it. I still need to mount one shock in the rear and make a rear bumper. But its damn close.

I may have a hub going though, the LF is extremely hard to switch from free to lock and back to free

And my Radiator has a pin hole leak somehwere on the pass tank about half way up, so thats another thorn in my side i gotta fix

okay, got my last shock mounted, and the rear bumper done, also put my plate on it and changed the spark plugs

really all that is left is a radiator (its leaking between the tank and the cores) and finish supporting the front bumper

heres the rear bumper mounted (it looks really wide, but my tires are still wider then the bumper)

Raysfirstdayofschool014.jpg

amd i had my first mishap...........

Raysfirstdayofschool013.jpg

i popped the coil out (LF) when i lifted the front tires off the ground, the eyelet i put on to retian the bucket bent outward and released the coil (i replaced it with another eyelet and welded it closed so it cannot pull apart again)

looks awesome great work

well i made the mayden voyage with the B2 on the pavement today.......

took a 60 mile round trip to my shop and did an alignment on it, heres my specs on the front

Camber
LF 0.4 RF 0.3
Caster
LF 4.6 RF 4.9
and Toe
LF 0.09 Rf 0.19
Total Toe 0.28

its drivable up to 55 mph, after that the vibrations are pretty bad (the rear two 36's are not balanced and my drive shaft angle is pretty bad)

but i do need to stiffen p the gear box, it has alot of play

also got some new logos made for our club
logo.jpg

railer.jpg

first testing this weekend

Pig Gig 2007

she did pretty well, better then my explorer

pretty happy with the build, just gonna make a few small changes here and there

first time ever in the mud
railer004-1.jpg

piggig075.jpg

railer012.jpg

railer019.jpg

railer021.jpg

railer023.jpg

railer029.jpg

railer031.jpg

oops
railer044.jpg

railer046.jpg

railer047.jpg

and when i got it home
railer125.jpg

SWEET carnage! Broke the knuckle?

both ball joints and axle shaft, later fund the right tie rod arm bent slightly

both ball joints seperated, their was no play in them prior. Then the axle shaft got taken out.

It was my own stupidty, i knew better then to be jerk strapping while pulling in reverse, i should have turned around and pulled from the rear. The worse part is that i know better then to do that. Its egg on my face.

Ah mud! I just re built my 8.8 last week, I pulled about 8# of mud from each rear e brake and disc brake....this is after about 5 power washes since the big mud holes....man that stuff gets everywhere!!

i have developed an issue with my fuel system. i have no gotten into yet but it looks like the ecm stopped sending the siganl to my fuel pump relay to operate. So now i have that to deal with along with replacing both my busted axleshafts

railer.jpg

notice the splines missing off the short shaft. And the long shaft twisted the ears when the ball joints failed.

What the opinions of welding a bead along the neck down of the shaft? I know i would have to clean it up to keep from damaging the seal as it slid in.

fuel system goes from PCM to fuse then to relay then to inertia switch then to the fuel pumps (I believe!)

i had an issue with my 88 origninal wiring, the wire to teh fuel pumps right below the brake booster has a connector, the connector fell apart...it has long since been removed. I believe it was a black/pink wire

Check the signal from teh PCM at the relay, I have never had the signal from the PCM be a problem, but I have wired a truck up to work from a switch before bypassing all the factory junk... per my friends request :)

i have everything to the relay but the signal from the ecm to trip the relay to run the pump

i don't have anything of the orig B2 wiring left on the truck, i used the entire system from a 91 explorer

Sept29030.jpg

Sept29026.jpg

Sept29008.jpg

Sept29006.jpg

Sept29002.jpg

Sept29001.jpg

updates

got my shafts fixed, my buddy endo'd his explorer at the dunes so we built a new rig with his explorer frame and drivetrain, but put a ranger cab on it. So we had some fun with what was left
Buildpics048.jpg

Buildpics041.jpg

Buildpics064.jpg

Buildpics060.jpg

well i attended Bear Swamp with the B2 to see how it would handle the nasty mud compared to how my explorer did. And i have to admit the B2 did alot better then the explorer. Its was probably the extra ground clearance the D44 gives me over the D35. And the power have with this 4.0L vs the old 4.0L from the explorer. But i did find a series of ruts that slammed me pretty hard and i ended up breaking the pedal assm bracket cause the steering column attachs to this bracket so now my column is loose. Heres a picture of me stuck rigth after i broke the bracket.

TimsProject042.jpg

i think i may try some XJ coils, my EB coils are just not soft enough, the ride is good and it handles pretty decent. But i have no real flex in the front. The rear of the truck flex's awesome but i really do not even compress the spring at all in the frt.

nicksprojectranger061.jpg

nicksprojectranger072.jpg

buddy of mine stores his B2 at my house and has the 7.5+ Rusty's XJ coils, i may steel them for a day and see what they are like. That way i have no money investment if i do not like them. But if i do then i'll buy them and sell me EB coils and make a dual shock set-up for the front.

nicksprojectranger034.jpg

nicksprojectranger031.jpg

nicksprojectranger033.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, how do you like your winch? I have always wondered if champion made a good winch.

Back