• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problems

CarrollGuy10

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Ok so im posting yet another problem with my truck. This one is not that much of a concern for me but i would like to get it fixed. First off there is no lights that light up when i press the 4x4 as well as it seems like it is not even engaging. Any ideas what might be wrong i checked the fuse and thats good. Im really not that mechanical and I'm learning as im going. Thanks for your help in advance.

Ok so im posting yet another problem with my truck. This one is not that much of a concern for me but i would like to get it fixed. First off there is no lights that light up when i press the 4x4 as well as it seems like it is not even engaging. Any ideas what might be wrong i checked the fuse and thats good. Im really not that mechanical and I'm learning as im going. Thanks for your help in advance.

First thing to try, crawl underneath the truck with a rubber mallet, find the 4x4 shift motor and smack it (gently) with the mallet. That might loosen her up, and if it does, then, well, you know you got a sticky shift motor. While you are at it, check the wiring to the motor.

Please, please, please read the 4x4 troubleshooting sticky at the top of the 91-94 Stock Ex sub-forum. It is possible that the brushes for the shift motor are sticking in their guides or need to be replaced due to age/wear but 9 out of 10 4x4 shift motor problems (dead, no-lights, unresponsive 4x4 shifter buttons, clicking sound from the back where the 4x4 computer and relays) turns out to be the 4x4 shift motor stop bumper being flattened on one side, this lets the motor to go past the normal stop point and once it does this, the shift motor "loses it's place" and no longer gets any power to the shift motor.
Credit and a big thank you to DeRocha and Brain for the writeup and fantastic pics.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542
Plastic stop bumper squashed on one side-
27133Tcase14.jpg

Shift selector contacts-
27133Tcase08.jpg

Back