03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs) | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 fliptrac $700 daily driver (summer of fun with 4 sport tracs)

I have a box of center caps
Which stock wheel? The 16” “teardrops?” (For lack of a better description)

I like your cluster ideas! A
Small display screen kind of like a “scan gauge pro”
Could be included in the cluster area it can be used to display all sorts of real time info
Digital water temp fuel pressure tachometer included behind the gauge faces would be trick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a box of center caps
Which stock wheel? The 16” “teardrops?” (For lack of a better description)

I like your cluster ideas! A
Small display screen kind of like a “scan gauge pro”
Could be included in the cluster area it can be used to display all sorts of real time info
Digital water temp fuel pressure tachometer included behind the gauge faces would be trick
Yes the 16" with the blue Ford tear drop!
Mine are original caps and have been outside 24/7 since September 2001 lol

Boy this thread went stagnant!

Had to it finishing the 07 ranger! That thread will pickup steam very soon
Fall is a crazy time here all projects must be finished before before snow,
I’m siding our house, hauling firewood and building a plow blade for dozer all on top of the normal daily truck stuff

The 03 is making a wicked daily!
I tinted front windows
Added headlights corner lights and tail lights ;)
Changed the oil once already, I drive it every morning she drives it every day
05E11448-3AB3-4B6D-AA78-AD53E943726F.jpeg

65FD6AED-708E-40E1-99A2-D35927A99572.jpeg

14CEE2B3-9DF7-44C9-B0F8-5A4F300C0EB0.jpeg

So it's the blue '03 that you are going to use a Dana 44 ttb set-up? Is it going to stay the F-150 width? Also is it getting the 5.0 treatment?
Is this an Explorer pan from a '98 Explorer and will that be the pan you are using?
1998 explorer oilpan.jpg

I will be putting a full width dana 44 ttb under the 04 yes
How? I am not sure yet I have two options on the table, I may just start with a 93 ranger frame, or graft in a frame from a ttb truck from firewall forward and then hang the ttb and steering off of that.
Rear axle will be full width 8.8
Unless something changes between now and the build that will likely happen next year, im hoping for a ttb sport trac on 37's

With a 5.0 into a ttb truck/ttb frame/ ttb engine cradle we use the old Ford mustang dual sump oil pan
The IFS oil pan will not fit and allow you to drop the 5.0 low and back far.
i used the same dual sump pan when I did my BII 5.0 back in 2005

we have put over 6000 miles on the 03 white trac 5.0 5 speed truck, it is pure joy to drive! wife loves it said 'we need to build another one of these' because it runs so well and is so smooth, it handles our road way better then her lifted fj cruiser (because the custom suspension on the cruiser is worn out!) i have changed the oil twice since building it....aside from a small heater hose coolant leak she has been flawless

Or maybe use a full-size ford truck, or is it jut too wide? Adjust to the wheelbase that you want? might have to do custom 4 dr cab mounts, bed mount etc. kind of a big project anyway. Just a thought. I see now that you said start with, 93 ranger or Explorer (Gen 1).
So, the pan picture a showed you, will that work on the '99 Ranger 2wd?

99 ranger 2wd is it torsion bar or coil spring? (they made both)
torsion bar is easy tgo convert to 4wd and yes will fit
coil sprung rwd rangers are a whole different ball game, I am not sure what 5.0 oil pan fits those

@410Fortune
Did you ever get a chance to look for those wheel center caps for me?
Been waiting patiently!

I’ll get a pic of the cente mr caps I have let’s see if I have the ones you need!

@410Fortune what pedal set ups work for the swap? Will 93 explorer ones work? I just bought a 2002 sport trac.

I had some Moog u joints installed on my driveshaft the other day and now I have a Driveline vibration. Taking it back to the shop on Monday. What u joints everyone using or recommend?

No 93 is a ttb truck, the firewall changed dramatically when they went from ttb to ifs
You need 95-01 Explorer, mountaineer, or 98-11 ranger clutch pedal assembly and “twist lock” style master cylinder

I will only install spicer lifetime u joints non greasable

Congrats on the 02 trac! I love these things

I've never had an issue with Moog greasable ujoints. I'd be curious if you had a driveline vibration before that was being partially absorbed by play in the worn ujoints letting the bearings float within the caps. Now that the joints are nice and tight, maybe the driveshaft is shaking instead of the bearings/caps?

Check the install
If they didn’t seat a joint fully or lost a needle bearing or?
Did you have the cv axle part worked on? Replacing the centering ball and seal can be tricky, takes patience and practice

Precision, Moog, and others do make good u joints but in my environment greasable does not last. The same seals that
Let grease out let water and silt in

Spicer lifetime joints (or even better) are what came oem, no grease zerks, last 150/200k mile or more

No 93 is a ttb truck, the firewall changed dramatically when they went from ttb to ifs
You need 95-01 Explorer, mountaineer, or 98-11 ranger clutch pedal assembly and “twist lock” style master cylinder

I will only install spicer lifetime u joints non greasable

Congrats on the 02 trac! I love these things
Thanks man. The ranger one will be easy to find. But very few sport tracs around here. I dont know what I will do about the ecm though. I will surely be asking you some questions. I do have a complete p-head explorer motor and the same trans you used in your swap. If you were closer I would just pay you to do the swap for me.

I've never had an issue with Moog greasable ujoints. I'd be curious if you had a driveline vibration before that was being partially absorbed by play in the worn ujoints letting the bearings float within the caps. Now that the joints are nice and tight, maybe the driveshaft is shaking instead of the bearings/caps?
Those u joints had been in for over 100,000 miles and the rear (at rearend) u joint had some play in it. I physically felt it while it was up on a lift at the shop. So had both replaced.

Check the install
If they didn’t seat a joint fully or lost a needle bearing or?
Did you have the cv axle part worked on? Replacing the centering ball and seal can be tricky, takes patience and practice

Precision, Moog, and others do make good u joints but in my environment greasable does not last. The same seals that
Let grease out let water and silt in

Spicer lifetime joints (or even better) are what came oem, no grease zerks, last 150/200k mile or more
Going back to the shop Monday to check work done!
CV axle???
This is a 4X4 and yes the front shaft was sent out to a Driveline shop for a rebuild using my Dorman knuckle and a Moog u joint. The mechanic mentioned he was going to pull that shaft and drive the vehicle to see! 👍

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread has been all over the place in questions and content and now a moderator is asking me to start a new thread about my u joints questions! How do you guys feel about this because I know my feelings?

Mod BKenndy
Instead of asking questions unrelated to 410's thread, please start your own. We like to stay on topic as it makes it easier for people in the future to follow.

Back