1991-1994 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991-1994

SVO said:
Cause when this motor is done, it SBF time folks.

what the heck is "SBF time"???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small Block Ford

Agreed! and don't forget that Tremec is making a 5spd that is just lke thier 3550, but it's for Jeeps and is set-up for a transfercase but uses a stock T-5 styly bellhousing bolt pattern, which means you can use it behind your 302

Thank Gawd that 410Fortune and others have done detailed swaps to show us where some of the hitches are and what mods work and how easy.

I think a small block is really the way to go, but to be honest the OHV is a pretty tough little number, I can't say that I really have had too many complaints other than reliability stand points, which make me wonder how long will this rebuild last?
Cause when this motor is done, it SBF time folks.

Interesting, do you know if the new Tremec 5-speed will be cheaper while being just as strong as the WC T-5?

Doing a small black swap is probably the most money saving idea yet. Its so practical if you plan on keeping your truck. You and I like most people on this forum dont plan on getting rid of their Explorer in the next 5-10 years, so why not give your metal baby the heart it deserves, a 5.0!

Other then the obvious problems with the A4ld the only other problem I have with our first gens is braking power with those tiny front rotors and drums out back, not to diss on the drums just not great stopping power.

I really truely hate that I waited to get this 1st Gen Ford I own because it fits what I want to a "T". I gotta honestly say I love this truck and didn't really expect to because I got it because it was a good deal. The engine on this thing is work of art....it doesn't have great power. Just so, so power....low end good stock power but not much on the high end which helps preserve this engine. It could run forever for this reason. I hear a lot of negatives with the Tranny but I just don't tow and make sure the fluids are changed religiously....and no problems yet...knock on wood. I'm looking at the expedition for my next ride....I may wait 'til gas prices go down though.

how much is left?

Gimp said:
Real Men Drive First Gens. ;)

Women too... :p

Soon to be proud owner of a 1994 XLT 4x4 5 spd 4dr. Now I just have to say goodbye to my 91 Ranger... :(

<correction>
Real men AND real women drive first gens. :thumbsup:

But I am not real. I exhist only in your imagination.

I'm also way into the First Gens. Looks the best on and off road. There are so many folks with these rigs still on the road that I wish some one would come up with a tranny that would match the 4.0 in toughness. They would make a fortune. My five speed is feeling the miles at 137000. I'm thinking of rebuilding one just to have it on the shelf.

I wish some one would come up with a tranny that would match the 4.0 in toughness.

They have. It was GM and its called the 700r4 Luckily Advance adaptors has the cure. Only reason I havent done it is being undecided on a v8 swap

TheRookie said:
Only reason I havent done it is being undecided on a v8 swap

be the first to do a modular 4.6

That would be pretty cool. Just cant afford it. If I swap in an 8 it will likely be a carbed 302

TheRookie said:
That would be pretty cool. Just cant afford it. If I swap in an 8 it will likely be a carbed 302

definatly a good idea

im sure they are everywhere for cheap.

shoot a carbed 351 would probably be just as cheap.

Creager said:
Doing a small black swap is probably the most money saving idea yet. Its so practical if you plan on keeping your truck. You and I like most people on this forum dont plan on getting rid of their Explorer in the next 5-10 years, so why not give your metal baby the heart it deserves, a 5.0!

I agree; The goal of people upgrading to a 700r4 (if you can call that upgrading...heheh) is to improve the reliability. But if ya ask me, if you are going to spend the money, you might as well put a 302/351 in there and the transmission to go with it (such as an AOD) and then you'd have BOTH reliability and more power.

Rhett said:
I agree; The goal of people upgrading to a 700r4 (if you can call that upgrading...heheh) is to improve the reliability. But if ya ask me, if you are going to spend the money, you might as well put a 302/351 in there and the transmission to go with it (such as an AOD) and then you'd have BOTH reliability and more power.

Yeah buddy, its all to easy to tell someone 'just do a 5.0 swap,' but what it boils down to is what you want to do. If you want to make it perfect, paint everything, put a new wiring harness in it and take 6 months then so be it. But if you want something quick and cheap, you can aways get a donor vechical, a couple buddies, and swap it in within a couple weeks.

i would love to find a 96 5.0 explorer i could get my hands on for a decent price, and a month off from work. haha.

Me too, gettin a 96-01 5.0 Explorer is looking better and better to me...

I used to want to use an 89-93 mass air Mustang driveline and harness, but lately, I am more and more impressed with the OBD-II things, like the nice little scan tools and programmable setups. OBD-I just doesnt have all the options. I'd even go so far as to say I would rather go OBD-II or carb than OBD-I at this point...It would be hell trying to properly tune an OBD-I chip when no one does that any more! Carb could be tuned, (by a friend of mine) and OBD-II could be tuned via chip tuner, but OBD-I? Good luck finding someone to burn a chip for that nowadays.

get a carb that'd be fun. easy to fix.

TheRookie said:
They have. It was GM and its called the 700r4 Luckily Advance adaptors has the cure. Only reason I havent done it is being undecided on a v8 swap
Is the 700r4 a manual? I read an advertisement in a Mustang Mag. The TKO 500 (I'm thinking) is claiming that it (due to different shifter positions) will fit vertually any vehicle. Any comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I LUV 1st Gens

well, the 2nd gens were OK, too, but when I saw my first Explorer in 1991, I knew that's what I wanted. I have a 92 XLT with the 5 speed manual trans.

I like the svelte styling of the 1st and 2nd gens :exp: as opposed to the porky, minivan, Expedition look of the 3rd gen :thumbdwn: !

Bob

Back