Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
the best generation ever

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i second that OHV rules

I'm a big fan of the 4.0 ohv also...best engine they put in them (with a close/debateble 2nd with the 5.0). Look the best lifted too lol...yeah i'm bias

Yes the first generation was plagued with bad trannies... the M5R1 I feel is overall better then the A4LD. But, from what I understand the A4LD can be built to suit and surpass in overall reliability

There is a rumor'd company that can build the a4 to handel a good deal of power and be reliable...i haven't found them online though lol. The m5 isn't terrible...granted, i blew one up, so have a few other people I know of but all in all it's better than the a4. The trany was the only bad thing in 1st gens

the M5R1 doesnt last long to big tires with little gears =)

i blew my original one up after 176k miles. which is respectable... definatly the weakest link

The 8.8 is definatly the strongest piece of the driveline on our trucks. The D35 isnt bad off if you dont go too crazy. The 4.0 OHV is definatly a strong motor/dependable motor, it just lacks power. the Jeep 4.0L around the same area actually came with 20HP more

yeah i know the jeeps 4.0 has a few more horses but it's about the same in the torque area from what i remember. I think mine blew up at around 120000. I've got 31"s with 3.27 gears...not the greatest but respectable, it's getting 35"s with 5.13 gears woohoo!
The 8.8 is a great axle and the d35 can really do some impressive stuff when the right mods are done to it...but it gets expensive. I love my 1st gen...my favorite out of all the years

I'm glad I bought the right Explorer!!

i really need to do a SAS on my truck. I love the TTB and all, but honestly i cant stand how it treats tires :mad: . Thats probably my main reason for wanting the SAS. I love wheelin, but i dont see my limitations with the D35, it seems to perform great, esspecially with the Warn hubs.

Hopefully the replacement coil springs will fix my negitive camber problem upfront.

If you use eb coils you can get better flex. The ttb can do quite abit of wheeling. I decided not to drop alot of money in my ttb simply becuase I didn't want to outgrow it and have a few grand in a axle i'll only be able to sell for a few hundred. Just decided to skip the ttb and go straigt to the solid axle. I did a decent about of wheeling with my ttb, i didn't like how it felt on offcamber situations...i think the full width axle will really help that though :D.

I think TransWorks (Werks?) is the company you speak of CP. 410Fortune had a tranny built by them, and liked it.

cool, thanks

Finally someone listen's, my dream have came true..

Creager said:
the best generation ever
I believe you are correct in that statement my friend. 1st Gens rule!!!LOL :thumbsup:

Real Men Drive First Gens. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really think the 1st gens look the best lifted and even though there are some problems with the front D35 TTB, its still a good axle compaired to the 2nd Gens having a complete IFS system. I've got 226,000 miles on my OHV and its still running like a champ, as for the A4LD... :rolleyes:

Back