1991-1994 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991-1994

!st Gens are the best!

My parents got the X back in 91 , I bought it off them 2 years ago and it is still going strong. I'm glad I have gad lots of luck with that A4LD , hasnt had to be rebuilt yet and its pushing 270 000KM. Oh yeah and the engine still purrs rather nicely , except for the dam lifters wich click untill it warms up. I'm plannin on keeping this thing untill the day I die.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the crankcase pressure, it sounds like you have too much blowby. Check for oil at other outlets.
Don

dolphans1 said:
I would also concurr with your assessment that the 1991-1994 Ford Explorer body style was/is the best ever produced. I even prefer it over the newer body style of the current year, 2005. I wonder why they always try to tweak and tamper with things that are great. Take a look at the 2005 Mustang, it looks great, they never should have messed with the the car to begin with.

d-1
Yeah, the 1st gens look really svelte, like a stretched Bronco II. The current Ex body looks porky, since they tried to make it look like an Expedition. I really don't like the new body style, but all SUV's seem to be going for the big rounded look.

The Escape looks nice, though. Its about the size of the old 2 door explorer Sport, but its a lot less truck, and I read a lot of complaints about the auto trans failing.

Keepin' my Ex......it now has 180,000 miles.

Bob

According to myself, 1991-1994 explorers came mis-matched with cast aluminum and cast iron cylinder heads. My 92 heads came stock with cast aluminum, while my ported head set is cast iron. The ported heads are also of the 92 Model year.

yess, rock on froader.

id rather convert a first gen, then to buy a second or third! unless its got a 5.0 im putting in a first gen, haha.

Last of the 'FORD' trucks! Last of the true 4X4! AWD's.........??????????????????

Maybe Ford will dump the "rounded-off girly look" that started with the 95 Explorer...and get back to making a truck look like, well, a truck...

can I

just wondering if i can pull the engine out of my 92 explorer and replace it with a 5.0 without replace the tranny??????explorer has a 4.0

Gordon,

Go to the '91-94 modification's page..........and do a search for info. Here is a teaser for your answer.

Even back in the old days of carb vehicles……..there were always mods to be done when swapping……….trans mounts, engine mounts, expanded capacity and radiator placement, kick down levers, A/C plumbing, re-wiring, throttle cables, exhaust mods….etc.

And, today…………besides computer mods.......there still remains the problems of fabrication mods and problems mentioned above, etc........when you swap a V6 for a V8.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......I'm not saying that it can't be done with enough time and money. Though, will it be a "drop in"........I doubt it.

Aloha, Mark

i love my truck, i'd buy one again in a heartbeat (take that chev lovers)
in a foot and a half of snow laughing at stuck hondas and econoboxes.
no mud flaps, heaping snow and mud on their hoods and windows. super
brite silverstar headlights frying there eyeballs in the rearview mirror.
ahhhh....excuse me i'm going for a drive.

thats the way i fell 94xlt i hate honda exonoboxs and heck i thougt my explorer was rusty those unibody pices of junk rust right in half happend right in my home to funney to see

Now now, 4bangers have their place also. Just because you utilize a truck that uses too much damn fuel doesnt mean everyone has to. I do love my explorer but I also plan to get some kind of crappy econobox for daily use.

2000 focus is the econobox here, 20hp less then the explorer... hmmm hehe. Its more fun driving the explorer though even though the little cars a 5 speed. I just dont like that blurred noise of a cow dying i get when i try putting a different air filter on just to make it a wee bit faster....

But we also cant forget that you usually get attached to the vehicle you like driving the best so your opinion of other vehicles greatly changes and you think its the vehicle for the rest of your life, and lets hope it is! :chug:

noting agains a ford focus its a ford it gets my respect its those honda rice burners that i cant stand the noise they make yea plus my explorer does a better brake stand than any honda

yeah that noise them hondas make,.. arrgg.. also i cant stand the gas pedal on them, really its one piece of work..

i do realize hondas have their place, but when adverse weather conditions
happen, you should know the limits of your vehicle 4X4 or not. if your car
is 5-6 inches off the ground and you think you'll be o.k driving in a foot and
a half of snow, you're kidding yourself. i love to drive in those conditions
the Explorer is the perfect truck for the job.

hondas and toyotas break like the rest of them

but you cant beat 40 miles per gallon!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two words: Harley Davidson

Back