1991-1994 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991-1994

it was totally weird, this moring i was thinking we should have a forum to each set of years...and it happened...so strange :) and yes, the first gens are the best, expecially lowered! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aww... i feel like we are one giant melting pot, or salad bowl or whatthehell

haha

Hi Im new to this site and a new explorer owner...I have a 94 4.0 no mods just clean the only problem I have is it has the switch for 4x4 and low range...4x4 is fine but if select low range it shuts off 4x4 and go's back to 2 wheel drive??? any info...last 4x4 I owned was a 78 power ram and you had to shift it in to 4x4 and lock the hubs this shift on the fly is new to me.

4x4DAD said:
Hi Im new to this site and a new explorer owner...I have a 94 4.0 no mods just clean the only problem I have is it has the switch for 4x4 and low range...4x4 is fine but if select low range it shuts off 4x4 and go's back to 2 wheel drive??? any info...last 4x4 I owned was a 78 power ram and you had to shift it in to 4x4 and lock the hubs this shift on the fly is new to me.

welcome to the site, this situation has been discussed tons of times... 4lo is not shift on the fly, the vehicle must be in park or neutral, the vehicle stopped, brake pedal depressed before 4lo will engage....

I LOVE GEN 1'S

:chug:

I like the Gen 1's also..even though I have a Gen 2..The Gen 1 was the creation after Ford ended the production of the BroncoII..all they added were 2 more doors :D I had a 90 BII that had the identical front end of the 91 1st Gen X.
Here is a pic of a 87 BII I once owned!! You can see the similarities on the production changes!

Attachments

• PIC0004.jpg
    PIC0004.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 524

Oh No!!! A 2nd Gen guy has infiltrated our forum!!

BigDakota....step away slowly

:D lol :D

Ok.. :D :roll: Bye..Bye..Adios..Sianara..See Ya.. :cool:

j602 said:
I think TransWorks (Werks?) is the company you speak of CP. 410Fortune had a tranny built by them, and liked it.

...he liked it until the day it blew, if I remember correctly.... Granted, he towed a lot with it...but still it was supposed to be a built transmission that could take the punishment.

BigDakota said:
The Gen 1 was the creation after Ford ended the production of the BroncoII..all they added were 2 more doors

not to mine they didn't... :)

Rhett said:
...he liked it until the day it blew, if I remember correctly.... Granted, he towed a lot with it...but still it was supposed to be a built transmission that could take the punishment.

Yeah I forgot to add that it did blow on him, but he said himself that he put it through a lot of abuse.

As far as the A4LD is concerned, you can polish a turd, but the fact remains that a turd is still a turd.

if you want a reliable auto for the first gens, then you need a C5 with C4 internals or an adapted 700r

^^exactly what I'm doing.^^
should be way better than the turd

The first gen is a good truck. The OHV motor was offered well into the second generation. SOHC was an option. I myself have like 138k miles on my X. I bought it with 100K i think and have replaced the following.
Tranny (5 FIVE! times)
Engine (once about 5 thousand miles ago)
Obviously front end (500 miles ago) (by choice)
and tons of little stuff.
I do beat mine up pretty bad so I honestly cant complain. I do however respect the second gen X also. The TTB is a little better off road but not at the level I was after. The first gen is FAR easier to do an SAS on with the traditional steering set up

Before we found out the A4LD was totally mangled internally, the plan was to have it rebuilt with planetaries from a c6 :D.

i like my 5-speed

but if it blows again, by by 4.0, hello 5.0!

hah, i paid $800 bucks for a remand M5R1... $1000 for a World Class t-5 from the same shop

what i also find funny is most places sell a rebuild/remaned 4.0 for a Grand more then a rebuilt 5.0...

So its obviously after spending 7-10k on the swap, it will be cheaper in the long run...

I have tried that as a friend of mine told me the same ...now should it be in 4x4 then shift to neutral with brake depressed? because I get the same result or place in neutral brake depressed and select low range??...thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Creager said:
i like my 5-speed

but if it blows again, by by 4.0, hello 5.0!

hah, i paid $800 bucks for a remand M5R1... $1000 for a World Class t-5 from the same shop

what i also find funny is most places sell a rebuild/remaned 4.0 for a Grand more then a rebuilt 5.0...

So its obviously after spending 7-10k on the swap, it will be cheaper in the long run...

Agreed! and don't forget that Tremec is making a 5spd that is just lke thier 3550, but it's for Jeeps and is set-up for a transfercase but uses a stock T-5 styly bellhousing bolt pattern, which means you can use it behind your 302 ;)

Thank Gawd that 410Fortune and others have done detailed swaps to show us where some of the hitches are and what mods work and how easy.

I think a small block is really the way to go, but to be honest the OHV is a pretty tough little number, I can't say that I really have had too many complaints other than reliability stand points, which make me wonder how long will this rebuild last?
Cause when this motor is done, it SBF time folks.

Gimp said:
Real Men Drive First Gens. ;)

91Sploder said:
I really think the 1st gens look the best lifted and even though there are some problems with the front D35 TTB, its still a good axle compaired to the 2nd Gens having a complete IFS system.

I have to agree folks, the TTB is far superior to the IFS system, weather it be in the front (2nd gens) or in the front and rear (3rd gens), although the way to go is truly SAS.

And even though the Ex is a revised/extended (2dr. = Longer and 4dr. = even longer) version of the BII, it truly was the start of the SUV rave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed! and don't forget that Tremec is making a 5spd that is just lke thier 3550, but it's for Jeeps and is set-up for a transfercase but uses a stock T-5 styly bellhousing bolt pattern, which means you can use it behind your 302
If its made for jeeps wouldnt it be for a divorced transfer case? I dont really like that idea

Back