1991-1994 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991-1994

goatman said:
Is the 700r4 a manual? I read an advertisement in a Mustang Mag. The TKO 500 (I'm thinking) is claiming that it (due to different shifter positions) will fit vertually any vehicle. Any comments?

the 700r4 is an automatic. i have no idea about the TOKE 500 :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the best generation and they last forever...

yeah the best generation ever! got 90,000miles on it and it runs like it was new!

I agree

Creager said:
the best generation ever

I would also concurr with your assessment that the 1991-1994 Ford Explorer body style was/is the best ever produced. I even prefer it over the newer body style of the current year, 2005. I wonder why they always try to tweak and tamper with things that are great. Take a look at the 2005 Mustang, it looks great, they never should have messed with the the car to begin with.

d-1

Yep, I agree, Ford could have kept the basic 91-94 body style and just done little refinements...and they'd still have have one great looking truck...
Instead they went with the curvy girly-lookin truck that is the 2nd gen... :D

Yea the later generations are for Soccer Moms:) hahahha Man im going to get flamed for that;)

just wait, 10 years from now ford is going to "bring back" the first gen explorer :smoke:

Creager said:
just wait, 10 years from now ford is going to "bring back" the first gen explorer :smoke:

Well, I'll just have to keep my '92 XLT until then. Do you think they'll bring back the manual tranny, too?

Bob

The Explorer is a soccer mom SUV, its doomed to be less and less truck like every time they redesign it, IMO, and soccer moms don't like manual trannies. True, they brought back the older styling features of the old Mustangs, but look at the Bronco concept. Is that thing anywhere close to an early Bronco or even the new style Bronco? No way.

I had a '99 Sport 4x4 which I really liked. I had to get rid of it due to financial reasons. Now I'm the PROUD owner of a '92 Sport 4x4. Got it for $3,000 with 71K ORIGINAL miles on it. It runs like a top and I love it. Even more than the '99. I have one burning question though. One day I'd really like to convert the automatic to a 5 speed. Can I hear some detailed discussion and advice on this? Thanks guys...

Sport 4x4 said:
One day I'd really like to convert the automatic to a 5 speed. Can I hear some detailed discussion and advice on this? Thanks guys...

Auto to manual conversion has been done. I'd look into getting a floor shifter and a manual shift transfer case while I was at it...

If you want detailed discussion, I would start with the search button, it's your best friend there; spend enough time at it, a little each day, and pretty soon you will have the knowledge you need to do it, or the knowledge you need to be informed about having someone else do it.

Creager said:

You bet they will. I think it will all go full-circle. SUV's will get smaller because the big SUVs suck up gas. And the styling runs in cycles, curved to edged, to flat, back to curved.

I'll probably just keep the auto hubs and pushbutton T-case if possible. They've been pretty reliable so far as I don't wheel much anyway. Can you give me some keywords to speed up my search? Thanks...

Rhett said:
Auto to manual conversion has been done. I'd look into getting a floor shifter and a manual shift transfer case while I was at it...

Has this been done the other way, 5-speed to auto ?

I like my 92 EX and i'm going to treat it the same way that I got 200,000+ miles on my other vehicles. Cheapo oil, Fram or other cheapo oil filter both changed every 7500 miles, or before, tune up when needed and wash it when it rains.
I have friends that have over 100,000 miles on their 1st Gens and have never changed the tranny oil and they still have the factory original trannie in it. All they do is drop the pan, change the filter and add fluid. Of course the only off roading they do is when hunting in the woods and in the snow.
I have 95000 miles on my EX now and it runs like it only has 40,000 miles on it.
NICE TRUCK!

Can I join too. I have a 93 Limited that soon will have a 99 Limited chassis. When I finish it I'll label it as a 93/99 in my signature. :p
Don

wait, you have a 98 mounty listed, you are putting a first gen body on a second gen frame? What are you planning on keeping/changing? driveline and suspension wise, interior

The 93 is in my signature. It's a mail vehicle , and the chassis will need major work soon. I found a cheap wreck for $1500, and decided that it would be cheaper to swap bodies. I plan to keep the 93 body from the 2nd body bolts back, plus the front end parts. I will use the 99 dash, wiring, AC, etc.

The 93 has a reconstructed title, so the resale value is basically nothing.
I am good at choosing projects that I won't ever choose to do again. Live and learn,
Don

i just bought 1992 4 door with 5 speed from my parnets.they own it since it was new.i gave 1000 for it and put 500 in it to fix it up.it runs great.needs a little more work.also it has 185000 on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 94 ford explorer xlt eddie bauer with a 4.0 the problem ihave it is blowing oil out of the oil dip stick i have changed the pvc valve and still have the problem

Back