302 Conversion. It's started. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion. It's started.

Well, I guess I'll call this the offcial start.

Truck broke on Sept 27 , 2000. Had a few bad experiances between now and then. Did lot's of research and am still reading everything I can on swaps.

So here's a couple of pictures to start the project.

The crate motor, No really it is......

View

Should I leave it Blue? or paint it black and add some chrome?

View

Anyway, It's a start. Hopefully next weekend, if the weather permits I'll sit it in the truck.

[Edited by Gofast on 01-06-2001 at 08:24 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry GoFast, I don't check the conversions forum much. But, Brian hit it on the head. Thats where I found those valve covers. I really wish I had a 94 or 95 mustang GT although I would get in trouble with money if I did. Good luck. I guess I should check back here more often.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

GoFast,

I don't know how your wiring and computer troubles are coming along, but I just saw that Painless Wiring just came out with a complete kit for the 302 (minus computer). Just thought you might like to know...

Alec, Do you have a link for that wiring kit? I dong small things waiting for the weather to clear so I can stab the motor.

Maybe this is why most people don't....

Maybe,just maybe this is why most people don't do conversions. It seems that there are a zillion set backs.
Anyway, here's the latest.

Day was in the 40's & 50's so I decided to drop the motor in the truck. Very concerned about trying to get the motor in a lifted truck.

I took both wheels off the front, used Jackstands in the frame and let the Kingpin rest on a block of wood. My rotors where 1/2" off the ground.

My truck was still to high for the engine lift! I couldn't get it over the front of the truck ( Now only 54" high ).

Plan 2 was to put the lift on my 5 X 8 trailer which gave it 24" more lift. Can't get the boom extended far enough to place the motor in the truck.

My next plan is to find a shop with an A Frame type lift and have them drop the motor in.

It's almost Feb. and I'm feeling the rush to get it done for Moab already!

Sorry Rob, didn't see that the thread had been updated.....I saw an ad in the recent Car Craft, I think. Painless' web site is http://www.painlesswiring.com

Can you wheel the engine lift into a pickup truck bed? Then you could back the truck up to the front of the Explorer. Just an idea....

Tried lifting the Engine lift. Problem was that the legs of the hoist stuck out the back of the trailer and wouldn't clear my truck. The legs would hit all the steering stuff and drop brackets on my truck. With the lift father back in the trailer so the legs didn't stick out, The boom wouldn't reach far enough over the engine bay.

I really need an A Frame type lift with a hoist.

Hey, Maybe we can Fun Run the trucks in a month or so....

BBK vs the 2 extra cylinders?

Can't wait to see pics of your set-up.

Rob,

How many horses does the new V8 have? You got it custom rebuilt, right? New cam, heads and stuff? Hmmm, I wonder how my blown 6 will fare....

Hey Rob,
Is there a way to make a stand out of 4x4's then rent a hoist lift. Not sure what they are called the thing with pully's and chains. Then you could push the Explorer under after getting the motor high enough and lower it down into it. Might be cheaper then a shop doing it and then you could burn the 4x4's in the fireplace.
Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing it at Moab.

start by pushing your truck next to a large tree. Hook a tree strap up to a large branch and then hook the engine up to a winch. Just lift it right on up

I would do what leebo said. Just find a tree with a limb about 4" thick (if you don't have a tree what about a friend's house?). Use a 2 ton chain hoist. It works great! I use a tree limb and a 2 ton chain hoist to take the engine t-case and tranny out of my J**p as well as some axles out of the truck bed.

Contracted out....

Well, I hired someone else to put it in. He just finished a conversion on a J**p so he's used to this type stuff. Best part is the J**p looked factory after he was done.

Anyway, he's droppng the motor in and hooking up the driveline stuff.

I'm just glad to have this part out of my hair. I expect it back in about 2 weeks. Hoping to be done by end of Feb.

My shade tree friends..There arn't any good tree's within a mile or so of my house that I could use.

Alec, I'm expecting about 275 to 280 at the crank, less 18% drivetrain loss I should put about 220 at the wheels. Give or take a few.

Engine is in....Next problem......

Well, the engine is in the truck.

I used the Kaufman Mounts. You have to drill or weld to the frame with these mounts. Transfer case mounted in the factory location thanks to Advance Adapters 9" tailhousing kit on the AOD tranny. Had to mod the cross member a little to hold the transmission mont for a 93 Mustang though. Not a big deal.

All the bolts that used to hold the driveline in were lost by the previous shop I had working on the truck. So while installing this we have had to do many trips to the dealer trying to find drivline hardware.

Valve covers were a tight fit against the firewall. The intake looks like it will have a clearance issue with the A/C stuff too.

The big problem is exhaust. My $169 MAC ceramic coated shorty Mustang headers don't fit! I have to cut the flange off to clear the frame. I also have to "Notch" the frame about 1/2" to clear the exhast pipe. We are bracing around this notch so I should loose any strength.

Maybe the $400 headers from the conversion companies are worth it?

General Questions.....

Would factory Explorer V8 mounts work? Who knows I'll compare someday, I bought the Kaufmans because I thought that would place the motor so that I didn't have valve cover or intake clearance issues.

Would factory Explorer exhaust manifolds clear the frame?

Next weekends plan is to get the exhaust system installed from the Headers back.

Pictures???
WERE ARE THE PICTURES????
Since they are doing the work, you could be running the camera......lol

i think that they would as long as the frame is the same in the '95+. stuff like that is usually pretty interchangeable.

Motor is in!

OK, First off pictures should be done Sunday night.

Second, It's in! Talk about tight fit. Looks like this truck was desinged for a V6, ( Wait it was.... )

Anyway, Factory Drivers side exhaust manifold almost touches the steering shaft. Very close fit. The passenger side manifold had to notch the frame. It has been reinforced where it was notched. This is a tight fit.

When you see the pictures you'll understand my "Tight Fit" statement.

I'm off to Tulsa to get my exhaust system installed at my bother in-laws shop.

Next item to do....

I need to install the intake and all the accesories next.

Pictures after my road trip!

Nothing wrong with tight I don't think.
Used to have a Mustang with the 351 and that was tight.
If you can get it in then it is a GOOD FIT!!

I like to use the expression "Like a glove"

Half Full?, Half Empty?.....

OK, the motor is in and snug. Fits better than OJ's glove too.

I'll post better pics once the intake is in, I'm tired from the long road trip getting the exhaust done. So these will have to do.

View

Here's a good picture of the infamous notch.

View

I also had the complete exhaust sytem installed. Everything is fabbed using a ball joint & flanges so I can drop sections of it if I need to get to the tranny or something else. Basically with a 9/16th's wrench I can drop the whole exhaust if I want too.

View

and the mufflers are where my spare used to be...

View

Now as soon as I'm back from Porta wherever in Mexico, the real work begins....

Running by March?

lookin good man. are you worried about the exaust hitting the frame when the engine mounts flex? dont know if that could be an issue down the road. not many options though.

Back