April 2013 TOTM - Utility Modifications | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

April 2013 TOTM - Utility Modifications

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Each day we can all think of things that just make life easier. We spend around 540 hours per year in our vehicles and we all have ideas on how to make it better.

This month post up your picture of how you have made "Utility Modifications" in your rig. Utility refers to "something useful or designed for use" that you have modified or created.

You will until the end of the month to get some pictures in.

March-2013.jpg

Don't forget:

Announcement will be made describing the TOTM theme. Members will then have a 4 week period of time to post there submission. (For example: On 08/01 a thread will be started for the nominations. On 09/01 you will have 5 days to vote on the previous submissions (date will vary depending on when the 1st is). This way each winning member will receive a month to be the TOTM.)

One picture per member.

Anyone is welcome to submit a picture (Admins, Mods, & Members).

You may change your pictures if you like. Just do it before the time is up.

All entries must be of a Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda Navajo, Ect. Go by the what the forum is for guys. Please don’t post pictures of your non-RBV's as your submission. There will be special times for you to do that.

You may submit any picture of anyones rig that is on this forum. (UPDATED 05/08/2012) Hope this helps you out.

Also do not Photoshop your rig to make it better but you can blank the license plate if you wish.

There will be a thread for submissions in which three pictures will be chosen at random. Then these three pictures will be put into a "Final Voting Thread" in which the entire forum will be able to choose this months winner. This random voting will be done by giving each picture a number that I will know only. Then I will "PM" a random member here and have them choose three numbers from the list that will be given to them. The numbers will not be linked to their post number.

Burns

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a big project but certainly useful. I have a small LED flashlight in the driver's door pocket but when a situation calls for more light, I fold the rear seat forward and pull out the Mag Lite 3D LED. I can't claim this idea as my own since I did get it from someone on this forum (or maybe mysporttrac.com) but it has been one of the most useful and simplistic utility modifications I've done.

2012-09-05_11-49-41_133.jpg

I don't really know but I think a decent DVD player could be considered useful, keeps the kids quite on long trips and me entertained whilst sitting in traffic waiting to get to work!
IMG_0941.jpg

This is probably the most unique thing that I've done on my own to make my Explorer, makes it a bit more functional, got my CB and switches put into this.

photo-5.jpg

12f47d84-84dd-4599-8c85-f033429eb633.jpg

Not entering contest, but just showing my Front or Rear crane. Used it many times including lifting Deer to load in rear bed or to raise up for skinning. The Front mount I can utilize the Warn winch or use hand crank. The below video shows the winch in action lifting an Old Fart.

2574dc33-8068-4c38-b177-b07473d95d08.jpg

Tuscarora-20111018-00623.jpg

Here is where I stow it. Or just leave it in garage.

Click on link
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...rane/?action=view&current=OBCOnBoardCrane.mp4

Potomac-20111123-00698-1.jpg

Loading up a several hundred pound rear Dana 70 that is installed in the rear now.

I know the rules state "ONE picture", but I believe I need the first pic to show the before condition and then the second picture is the IMPROVED condition.

Extra Tie Down Points.

I added 4 OEM tie down points in the cargo area.

My cargo box use to be strapped down like this:
-9A5F-4FFA-92E5-24935C996D1D-2156-0000010B11724C19.jpg

Which while this gave me great access to the box, it divided the cargo area and made getting to anything in front of it difficult- had to go over the seats to get to it.

Now it sits like this:
bb61e27e540cb5466917dc33194d68ed.jpg

Installed 3/1, trail tested 3/2 and the box stayed put.

Mines a 99 ranger.. This rig was built 100% by me for utility reasons, i do a local offroad recovery thing and im also trying to get the truck on with the local fire department "volunteer search and rescue" team.
Utility mods include: Cb radio, Axe, Shovel, Hi-lift, on-board air, auxilary lighting, rear faceing camera, Fire extinguishers, 3x 4D mag-lites, snorkel, front and rear winches, chartable navigation, EMT first-responder kit, land-anchor, Bucket seats with harnesses, remote 360 degree Go-Light,

20130222_134348_zps1dd697b0.jpg
and some other things to help out..

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,685

Dual 12 volt power ports in the center console

I needed 2 forward located 12 volt power ports. So I installed them in my center console. They have a clean factory look. Total cost was about $15.

I have a thread on how I did it here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374132

Sorry about the size of the picture. I sent it to Image shack......and its still too big.

img3626cs.jpg

Brian in Austin

2TimingTom, who makes that container? I love how you can strap it down without strapping over the lid.

Plano. It's model number 1819. I got it at my local ranch and farm store. In the "made in the USA thread" I have a picture of the label.

And yes, after seeing Stic-o's Action Packer with the straps over the lid, I like my box just a little better now.

Cargo Box

The most useful Utility mod i created was a cargo box to keep all my loose items from sliding around the back of my explorer. I also made it so the cargo cover still works and covered it in material to match the interior.

I also created one for my dad (DAExplorer)

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 9,488
  • DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • DSC00139.jpg
    DSC00139.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,368

The most useful Utility mod i created was a cargo box to keep all my loose items from sliding around the back of my explorer. I also made it so the cargo cover still works and covered it in material to match the interior.

I also created one for my dad (DAExplorer)

How did you make the box go over the wheel well? Love the look of that, I may have to do that!

Here's my use full mod that I've done, it's a toss up for me between 2 so ill post them both

1.) Foglight bracket
0F3-DFE47E4BE9C7-5016-000003B408FF08FB_zpsc6957f15.jpg

Foglights sat too low on the bumper so I had to make a metal bracket to get it half an inch higher so I could get full use of the lights

2.) Fishing pole holder
2D8-BCBC9F36D5EE-5016-000003B48E684B57_zpsfd11af43.jpg

Got tired of having my fishing poles laying around so I got some rope and tied it into a loop and made a knot at the end and stuck it in my headliner and used a bunjee cord to hold both the poles tight so they don't bang into my windows when I hit a bump

Well that's my entry! Thanks and I hope I win! And yeah the pics suck but I didn't want to go out into the cold to take pics, so ill take better pics tomorrow in the daylight

I built a custom center console in my 92 that goes from the dash, around the stick (5-speed) to about even with the back of the front seats. Cant seem to add pictures from my phone maybe its something im doing wrong or that im not elite yet.. made a custom camo shift boot to go with it. Mounted my dual battery switches to it and gained a lot of storage, large cup holders and an arm rest my 100lbs German Shepherd/German Rott likes to sit on

How did you make the box go over the wheel well? Love the look of that, I may have to do that!

The area over the wheel well isn't as deep as the rest of the box. as seen from the picture looking in the box, I just store smaller tools in that area of the box.

I like this thread. Win or lose, there's lot of great utility modifications in this thread- lots of ideas.

I think jjaganshi's Ranger is going to be tough to beat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad I could start off the thread with a light appetizer because the rest of the portions are serious, lol.

Back