Can I open the liftgate window without a remote? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I open the liftgate window without a remote?

It's in my '02 manual. But that's not how I found it! Dumb luck, that's how I found it. I was replacing the license plate lamp and I saw it and said to myself "what the hell is this?" I pressed it and the window popped open. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wrong-it is in the 05 owner's manual. On page 104 it says to use the remote and doesn't mention anything else but on page 97 it mentions the button. When I looked several days ago I obviously checked out page 104 only. I'm surprised that so many longtime Explorer owners didn't know about the button....

Hi Limited 02,

When you say” Just to the right of the handle that opens the lift gate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open”

Where is this handle that opens the lift gate? Is it on the driver’s side or is it in the trunk?

(The lift gate which is the 5th door always opens just the same way as other doors do – but where is this handle)

I have been trying to find out How to open the rear-window glass without using the remote.

Thanks.

There's a handle that opens the entire rear liftgate. Just to the right of that handle will be a button that has a rubber cover, push it and the mid-gate(glass) will open. It's not something you can see just standing behind the car, you'll need to peek up under to see it. Make sure the car's unlocked too, otherwise it won't open(that goes for any door:D).

I got my key blanks in the mail today and the guy at my local Ace Hardware cut them for free. My local Ford dealer programmed one of them for $42.50 and I did the other one when I got home. I forgot to ask the Ford guy what they charge for a key but I'm pretty sure it's more than the $20 for two that I paid....:thumbsup:

Bani, there isn't a "handle" for the glass. As Limited 02 mentioned, just push the button and the glass will pop out. Then you just lift the assembly with your hand.

I bought my 2004 at a Ford dealer, used in 2007, and they showed me the button. I'm sure they've been asked a million times...

Mike

Great! I found the button after getting information from this thread. Thanks.

Hey everyone,
When I was pressing the code to get the rear glass to open, I found another "hidden" feature. The keyless code + the number 4 will unlock everything, not just the front doors!

Hey everyone,
When I was pressing the code to get the rear glass to open, I found another "hidden" feature. The keyless code + the number 4 will unlock everything, not just the front doors!

You are correct! :salute:

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

I honestly dont know my keyless code. I should look into it. I bought it brand new.

My salesman was good and showed me that button.

But it is funny to read about people finding it. haha

I honestly dont know my keyless code. I should look into it. I bought it brand new.

My salesman was good and showed me that button.

But it is funny to read about people finding it. haha

I can tell you where to find your code if you are curious;)

I wanted to thank you guys for all the help I've received so far from this site. Last night I did a search in this forum to read threads to see why one of my rear door windows wouldn't go down. Several people mentioned hitting the inside of the door by the speaker because it may be stuck from non-use. I did that this morning and it went down and now it works fine. I wasn't looking forward to removing the door panel and trying to figure out what the problem was. Anyway, thanks again for the help.... :thumbsup:

Glad it worked out for you. I agree that this forum is awesome. It has helped us all out at one time or another. Nothing like having a boatload of X owner's brains to pick at the drop of a keystroke!! :salute:

I wanted to thank you guys for all the help I've received so far from this site. Last night I did a search in this forum to read threads to see why one of my rear door windows wouldn't go down. Several people mentioned hitting the inside of the door by the speaker because it may be stuck from non-use. I did that this morning and it went down and now it works fine. I wasn't looking forward to removing the door panel and trying to figure out what the problem was. Anyway, thanks again for the help.... :thumbsup:

Such a common problem solved by a little tough love. Just gotta repeat every once in a while (for me it was about once a year on my Mustang).

Back