How close have you been to running out of gas? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How close have you been to running out of gas?

I was on vacation this week towing our 23' trailer with a 2007EB 4.6L. I had just under half a tank left and it was only 60km to the next town. Well towing at 8.5mpg quickly moved that fuel gauge! The gauge was on E and I was watching the driving computer in the dash telling me the distance to empty. 10 miles (Okay, should be close), 5 miles (hmm, where is that station?), 3 miles (how am I going to explain this to the wife?), we crest a hill and there is the station!! As I am slowing to make the turn the computer switches to 0 miles left. I make it the pumps and start pumping.

The manual states the capacity is 85.2 Liters. I pumped in 83.9 Liters!!! I must have been seconds away from stalling. After that I filled up at 1/2 tank on the guage for the rest of the trip!

This is basically a pic of mine as it was "out of gas" on Rose Garden Hill just outside of Moab:
Rose%20Garden%202.jpg

I say "out of gas" because the fuel level was low enough and I was nose down on a grade steep enough that the pickup tube wasn't pickung up fuel anymore. I dumped about 4 gallons into the tank and it was fine. Once I started going up the hill on the other side, the gauge was registering about 1/2 tank.

Back