How To: Mount A Spare Inside | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Mount A Spare Inside

This is a great idea! I'm about halfway through making my own swing away tyre carrier - all up it will cost me less then US$50 (about $70 Aussie $$$$). I would have used something like you have done, but we need all the space in the back for trips a couple of times a year - even with a luggage pod on the roof racks, we still fill the back as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the last time i just layed a spare down in the back of an suv i slid my 93 jimmy into a ditch, the spare bounced and busted the rear glass. soooo in my sport its wedged between a small floor jack, a tote i 'borrowed' from work to put some supplis in, and one of my craftsman tool sets. oh, and theres a tie down looped around the wheel down to an anchor point just to be safe! bad luck is the driving force behind my ingenuity.

i like the idea, i am able to get a good deal on some 34x10 ltb's and have been trying to figure out a good way to store a spare since i know it wont fit underneath.i wonder if i'll have to space out the tire because of the wheel well?

My plan is to put my spare on the roof in a roof rack as it will be a 33, I hope. I then intend to cut the floor of my X where the spare tire used to sit and actually build a compartment to store tools in. Basically doing what cars have in them. I've been told it would be a good beer cooler too, but that'd get my tow rope and **** wet. that would be safe, easy, and out of the way completely.

hey ccr i had that same idea.But i decided i would save for a dual fuel tank acuator, and put a bronco II tank between the frame rails.Man that would be sweet to get 660 miles per fill up.Eventhought i still would pay as much as 2 fill up at one time.

i got my 33in spare straped to the floor by the anchors that came with it and built and sub box where the cargo net was so i can fit my tool box to

great mod there, good pics.
i decided to put mine back under the truck, i dont like it but i work out of my exploder, was taking up too much room to leave it in the back in any way. i used a bolt and nut i found somewhere and some junk scrap metal that is thick. then i used a ratchet strap to keep it balanced. it is a PITA to get to, but then again how often do i have a flat during the week? hardly ever. have to use a floor jack to get on and off. and get dirty doing it.
i have 2 spare BII swing away carriers but that gets old too, opening it every time you want in the back.

Just got mine strapped down in the back for now. Hard to mount a 35 inside the truck... It will stand but it takes up a lot of room if I wanted to actually mount it like that.

To all you guys who just have your spare (or toolbox, or any thing) just lying in the back of the X, DON'T BE SO FREAKIN STUPID!!! You HAVE to tie that stuff down. If you get in a wreck the last thing you want is your hi-lift or a tire hitting you in the back of the head. Dad's got a friend who took a hi-lift in the back of the head in a crash years ago. He speaks slow and slurred and is unable to learn much or comprehend much. That jack wrecked his head BAD. I don't want to take the risk, so everything in my rig is strapped down!

Seems like it would be a better idea to mount the spare on the right rear side in the back to counter the left-side lean caused by the weight of the gas tank.

Of course a 30-31" fits in the stock location just fine, and a 32-33" seems to fit ok with modification of the stock tire retainer and the rear frame crossmember.

Only real reason to go with a roof/interior/bumper mount seems to be if you must have the clearance behind the rear axle and between the leaf springs, or you're running something larger than 33's or 12.50's which hang down a bit more.

well boys I have to 35's in the back of mine so not sure why it doesnt fit. I had them stood up and laying flat both fit I never mounted them tho

I like this idea, I have been looking for a way to mount my spare at a good spot without spending an arm and a leg. Gonna do this to my rig.

G'day bloke, was reading your post from way back when you were making a swing away spare tyre holder. Do you have pix at all? Can you give me an idea of what's required to build it?
Thanks mate.
Rob

This is a great idea! I'm about halfway through making my own swing away tyre carrier - all up it will cost me less then US$50 (about $70 Aussie $$$$). I would have used something like you have done, but we need all the space in the back for trips a couple of times a year - even with a luggage pod on the roof racks, we still fill the back as well.

This is pretty sweet and has me thinking of my own ideas to mount up a spare.....

:ca:Just a quick thought to throw out . Why not use ready rod (threaded rod) to create a side mount similar to the in-floor and trunk mounts . A piece of appropriate length tubing used to give secure attachment point . If done flat on the floor a circular disk of wood to regain the flat suface and "hide" the tire .

:D 3 35's in the back of a 4 door,

attachment.php

:D:D

add 2 here, and that is a set,,

attachment.php

:eek::eek::eek:

Back