Kert0307's new bumper

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
With the Cliffs run coming up next week, I wanted to build up a new bumper for the explorer, so I brought some scrap metal home from work. There will be D rings also to help cover the frame rails, but the laser cutter was down that we use for projects at work.

The goals of the bumper:
1. Increase approach angle
2. Front tow point

Here are the pics

Front View:

DSCN1384.jpg

Close up:

DSCN1387.jpg

Side:

DSCN1386.jpg

Tube offset:

DSCN1388.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good man, mig welded?

Very nice! Are you going to blackout the area under the bumper on the body?

looks good

My favorite part of this is how close it fits to the body, it's a great design. One thing i'm wondering, could you grind down the welds and smooth it out, without weakening it?

My favorite part of this is how close it fits to the body, it's a great design. One thing i'm wondering, could you grind down the welds and smooth it out, without weakening it?

Ya some of the welds are pretty noticeable especially where the tubes join to the 2x4. I'm going to try putting some bedliner/textured paint on it to minimize them. It's all .25 and 3/16 wall tube...

I built it with a 120 volt flux cored mig welder. Lets just say the duty cycle was exceeded a couple times...

looks good, post some pics when you paint it.

Back