MOAB II | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MOAB II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner on Sunday is at the Branding Iron. I need to call them to see what time. If we have a choice should we go at about 7:00pm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys. If Matt can pick up My buddy I will be able to get in to Moab Wed night and grab a big spot in the campground before all the Toy's get there. If not then I will be getting in thursday night.

You can get in touch w/ me in Moab by calling
720-933-9734
or
303-916-4690
or just raise me on the CB. I guess we are using ch #1.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Dinner on Sunday is at the Branding Iron. I need to call them to see what time. If we have a choice should we go at about 7:00pm?

Rick,

Yes my vote would be to delay dinner until 7pm but you are the one who's been there so it needs to be your call. If the stock group runs Gemini/Gold Bar beginning at 8:30am, do you think we'll be back in town in time to clean up and get to the restaurant by 6pm?

Here's my guesstimate. Using "the Book's" times and adding a little extra time for size of group, first time there, photo ops, and extra help/care needed for the bone-stockers on Gold Bar Rim, I make our schedule at:
8:40 leave
9:00 Gemini Bridges Trail
12:00 Lunch on trail
13:45 Finish Gemini Bridges/start Gold Bar Rim
18:15 Finish Gold Bar Rim
Of course I might end up being five or so minutes off as the schedule works itself out Dead Link Removed

It seems prudent to me that we plan on a 7pm dinner, not 6pm. What do you think?

Ray, I had a brain fart. I'm sorry my friend. Of course you and I have to prerun the trail. Look at Gold Bar Rim's description: "route finding extremely difficult...watch for cairns and scout ahead...GPS highly recommend..." etc. I will be there to prerun with you. I feel a responsibility to those who have never trailed before to provide them an enjoyable experience (which would not include getting lost!). Have you played enough with your new GPS to get comfortable using it yet?

What time can you be in Moab Friday morning? I believe in one of the messages you said mid-morning. Define "mid morning"? 9:30am?

Ray, Dignan, Matt, (Rob?), how about this schedule?

9:30am Friday morning: Porcupine Rim. I want that picture! The Book says a 2-3 hour trip, let's call it 3-4 hours including lunch on the trail.

13:30-14:00 or so: PreRun Gemini/Gold Bar rest of afternoon as long as it takes.

Whenever PM: find an awesome view, open up our tailgates, kick up our feet and relax, enjoy some brewskies and stogies, and watch the sun set in the scenery.

Are there any other premium cigar afficianados in the group?

I am having a real hard time not leaving tomorrow.... but I wouldn't have a job when I got back.

moabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoabmoab

[Edited by GJarrett on 02-04-2001 at 09:24 AM]

hey guys, Im wondering if the folks that will be there friday morning would like to meet at city market and decide who is going where? I know a lot of us are camping at Lions Back but some other people might filter in to the hotels on Friday...
Rick, 7 sounds fine to me..

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy" http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

[This message has been edited by mattadams (edited 04-29-2000).]

Sorry about that guys... My computer was hanging up when I made those posts. The first one went in at :42 and the last at :50. Pretty weird...

Ok I'll try to make our reservations for 7:00 at the earliest.

Meeting at the City Market on Friday morning sounds like a good plan Matt. Paul and I may check out Kane Creek (30 creek crossings) on Friday.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

Gerald,

You don't really need a job? Do You? Dead Link Removed If you were to leave tomorrow Rick would probably join you! Sure wish I knew how to delete messages. I'd delete yours so as not to give Rick any ideas. (Just kidding)

------------------
Char
93 Modified Exploder, Co-owner (passenger)& The Better (other) Half
I may be CRAZY (she is),.... BUT I'm not insane!(well...)

Think for yourself ...... Sheep end up dead!

Rick, if you go out early and run easier runs because you cannot find anyone to run with, would you consider running Top of the World on Thursday? No problem if not. If I were you, I'd be looking to run the big boy trails. But if you get stood up, I make an ok second-choice date.

BTW, I'm packing now. Will be ready soon.

Gerald

moab moab moab moab moab moab moab moab moab

Char, I have to work another day or two. I am an accountant that manages the ATM transactions for 18,000 ATMs in 49 states and am still trying to train subordinates/temporaries to do it right while I am gone. I move tens of millions of dollars between financial institutions every single banking day. If I goofed off one day I have a feeling someone would notice.

Seriously, if my responsibilities get screwed up you would read about it on the front page of the Wall Street Journal the next day, and no one going on this trip would be able to use their ATM card. I am the guy in the very middle of 90+% of the ATM financial transactions in this country.

Hmmm. If I take off right now, how many of you are ok without your ATM cards? Dead Link Removed

Gerald

PS/ hey guys, I do not own an ATM card. Ask yourself why.

[Edited by GJarrett on 11-26-2000 at 08:15 PM]

well Im still undecided on what trail I'll run on Friday - both ones sounds like great fun. I'll do a little more research and let y'all know. I now have a semi-functioning, non-leaking power steering pump and good spark plugs, as well as four fully attached shocks, so I'm ready Dead Link Removed. who's up for a chat tomorrow around 7 pm MST (6pm for the easterners, around 9 for the westerners)? I don't really care if we chat on ecircles or yahoo, though I prefer yahoo... if you havent joined the yahoo club yet you oughtta... its at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/explorer4x4comeventclub or just search for explorer4x4.com on clubs.yahoo.com.

Also Rick would it be allright if I dropped off those lights at your hotel on Thursday night? They take up QUITE a bit of room in my vehicle so I'd like to get them out before camping Thursday night.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Hey Gerald, I don't use my ATM card either (I wonder why?), so you can leave any time you want & can stay as long as you want. One of my clients told me to take the whole week off, but thats just one, and right now it's the busiest time of year for my business. Besides, I need the extra money to pay for all the extra mod's that Darien is doing to my truck right now. Dead Link Removed

Gerald, I don't have any problem going with you on Top of the World. Paul and I had talked about going out Thursday, but I think that will depend a lot on what time he gets in. What do you think Paul?

No problem dropping the lights off by my room Matt.

I don't even remember the code for my ATM card.

I just got the new KOs this morning and now I'm packing. Maybe I'm crazy for getting ready and having to go around for four days with all that in my car, but I just can't help myself.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Dignan, I always use the ATM. I go into the bank about 2 times a year.

Rick, 7 PM or so looks good to me on sunday.

Gerald, I think you're getting a bit excited about the trip. I'd love to get there earlier myself, but I really can't leave here until Wednesday morning. I got stuck working Tuesday for 12 hours, so that's the way it goes. However, I'm still willing to stay at least Monday if not Tuesday as well. There's a lot to see there.

Those in the Denver group that will be leaving Friday morning, I'm still planning on being there, 7:30 AM, right?

Brett, I'll be sending you an e-mail tonight to confirm. I'm going to stay overnight around Wadsworth Rd and 285. Your street is not on any maps yet, so maybe a short list of directions will help, even though I know roughly where it is. You know, turn left here, right there kind of thing.

Matt, I can do the chat for a short while. 7 PM mountain is 9 PM here in Eastern. I get up at 4 AM on Monday, so I don't want to stay up too late. I'm not as young as I used to be.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

PS, Oh yeah, Ray. The thread is so long that I almost lost your post. I don't think I'll be in Moab in time on Friday, since I won't be arriving until probably 2 PM mountain. I'm leaving Denver at about 7:30 AM. I may spend some time finding Lion's back so that I will be able to get to the fire on Saturday night. Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Tom Wilk (edited 04-29-2000).]

Just got off the phone with the Branding Iron. We're on for 7:00pm on Sunday evening. My latest count is 25 for dinner not including the FOMOCO group.

Rick, just let me know. I'd be honored to do an early week run with you and Paul. It's getting later now and I'm getting more antsy (c-my previous half-dozen posts on this one thread just today), maybe I'll show up Thursday MORNING. Dead Link Removed

SERIOUS NOTE, PLEASE READ: Last year it was you and Jack Lodbell only. What a difference a mere year makes in our lives, huh? I never got to meet Jack personally but I would like to suggest that this sorta-first big Moab Explorer run needs to be a memorial in his honor.

I didn't even get to meet the guy, but he and you were among the very first people that enticed me to take my 4wd soccer-mom Explorer beyond the simple snowdrifts on a skiing trip and really tear it up on a real trail, way beyond what I ever would have believed it would do.

I'll bill Jack for his share of the body damage when I get Up There to talk to him.

What a difference a year makes. Last year it was just you two and now we don't know where to fit the extra latecomers.

I don't know how to exactly word this, but I want to propose to make this the first of future Moab Explorer runs in Jack Lodbell's memory. With a name like Jack (don't Jack with me, you don't know Jack, Jack with this hill stupid, etc.) I am sure with our collective imagination we can come up with a clever idea for an annual memorial "Jack Explorer Run". This time last year you had a hobby website with a couple of hundred lurkers. One short year later we've got over 2,000 members. I'm not totally sure any of us knows what we have here yet. Ten years from now you could be the emcee to the annual "Open Jack Run" at Moab. Big as the Easter Jeep Safari. Who knows.

Seriously, what do you think? If this is a stupid idea never mind.

Gerald

PS/ If you die we'll work on that next year.

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 04-29-2000).]

If I were a millionaire, I'd take you up on that offer. Plus, I'd have my Explorer shipped to Moab and fly in with Ford. Dead Link Removed

"If I were a rich man......"

Now, I'm inclined to sing. I'd better close the windows first or I may be arrested. They'll think I'm harming the cat or something. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Actually Gerald I think that the Fall Colors Run would qualify as having been the first Jack Memorial Run. Jack had planned the trip and put together the itineray. We were all psyched up to benefit from Jacks vast experience of archeology and geology when we recieved the news that he had passed away.

Jack was on all of our minds during that trip and he was toasted and remembered. I'm not sure if there is going to be an annual Colorado run, but if there is I think it should have first dibs on being the "Jack Memorial Run".

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-29-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the insight Rick. I have saved my vacation time for not only Moab but have also planned for a Colorado Colors Run because I really am sorry I missed it last year. I'd rather do that than Moab truth be told. I LOVE Colorado and it killed me not to be able to make last year's Colors Run.

I don't know who else would want to go but I am 99% sure I'll go on one this year. If no one else picks up the flag I'm gonna go anyway, figuring some of the Colorado crew kids can lead me. I hear that Charles Wells who wrote "The Book" we are using for Moab has already written books for Colorado. That's gonna be my fall vacation this year, but that's another thread later on.

See you very soon.

Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back