Need camber kit help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need camber kit help!

just to chime in, when i mounted new tires the Alignment Machine spec for Camber was -.03 to 6.0 degrees was considered OK. 6.0 degrees is a lot, i can actually see that, the wheel is no longer straight up/down in the well and mine was off 1.8. Try a simple bubble level to verify. According to the FSM all Castor/Camber/Toe is adjustable to some extent. I'm under the impression that shops would rather skip a camber/castor and just set toe due to the time involved. Then they might not even stock the parts necessary so mostly its over looked or avoided.
So before my next alignment i plan to pick up the kit, so there is no excuse, and specify that they fix the camber as close as possible to Zero. I want those $800 worth of tires to last - imo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just to chime in, when i mounted new tires the Alignment Machine spec for Camber was -.03 to 6.0 degrees was considered OK. 6.0 degrees is a lot, i can actually see that, the wheel is no longer straight up/down in the well and mine was off 1.8. Try a simple bubble level to verify. According to the FSM all Castor/Camber/Toe is adjustable to some extent. I'm under the impression that shops would rather skip a camber/castor and just set toe due to the time involved. Then they might not even stock the parts necessary so mostly its over looked or avoided.
So before my next alignment i plan to pick up the kit, so there is no excuse, and specify that they fix the camber as close as possible to Zero. I want those $800 worth of tires to last - imo.

back to my previous post....GO TO A SHOP YOU TRUST AND KNOW IS GOING TO DO THE WORK RIGHT.... if the mechanics are lazy your **** will be off. bottom line. In the business we say.. "set toe and let it go"

If your truck was lowered beyond factory limits for the alignment adjustment, why don't you just add a small spacer to lift it back up a bit so you can get it properly aligned. How many miles did you get out of the last set of tires? It almost sounds like it was both a camber and a toe problem. Bad toe will make the camber worse. Bottom line, you obviously don't have experience with alignment so you either need to continue to educate yourself or find a mechanic you can trust. Either way it is up to you to learn what you can so even the seemingly "trustworthy" mechanic can be checked along the way.

You can learn a lot from a level and a tape measure. In your case park on a flat surface with the wheels straight and take a level that fits on the flat part of the rim. Then just compare the reading from front wheel to back wheel, you should be real close to each other. It is a little trickier with a gen 3 since you've got adjustment both front and back but it gives you a starting point. Then take a tape a measure from wheel to wheel on the front. You want to measure between the wheels in front of the axle and behind it. 1/4" or even 1/16" can make a big difference in alignment. It's best to measure to the rim and make sure the tape measure is at the same place on the wheel on both sides. It's not the best way to do it but it will give you an idea where your suspension sits right now.

Also as some have already indicated you can usually visually spot bad camber when standing in front of your truck eyeball down the side you wheels should look like | | <--- this

not like / \ or \ / this

I am guessing since your wearing out the inside your truck looks like / \ this from the front. and I also have a suspition that you are toe out as well.

If you can imagine looking down from the top of your truck your toe should be like | | this not / \ or \ /

here is a good primer on wheel alignment
http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

these same principles apply to all cars

Good luck

the vibrating is most likely a tire issue and not an alignment issue. unless the alignment wore your tires and caused them to shake but either way the vibration is from the tires

yeah it hasn't done that since i got my new tires on. but it looks like there's no room for a camber kit or any further camber adjustment, i have no idea what a camber kit looks like and i dont think the pics on the websites are accurate. does anyone have a camber kit on their ex? if so can i see some pics?

You change the height of the truck. How much is it off?
For Stockers those first pics of the nut / bolt / washer looks like thats it. According to FSM, there should be a square plate or washer up there, which you discard and replace with a camber washer. It allows the upper arm to move in/out a little bit, only a couple of degrees.

Back