Parking/Running lights short? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking/Running lights short?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be... another member had a similar issue, and his was the combination switch I think.

is that what that switch is called? combination switch?

*update* I put my explorer in neutral - i press on the brake pedal a few times watching the voltmeter drop - then i notice -the- burning smell ; it is the master light switch - i just need to get into the dash to get that switch :) yay.

*update* I put my explorer in neutral - i press on the brake pedal a few times watching the voltmeter drop - then i notice -the- burning smell ; it is the master light switch - i just need to get into the dash to get that switch :) yay.

Here's how I do it:

1) remove the under steering column plastic and metal knee destroyer :eek: and hood release w/ a 7mm socket

2) remove ashtray and the 2 screws that attach the plastic trim 7mm as well

3) loosen the 2 9/16 bolts that hold the column up lowering it just enough to pull the plastic trim from the dash/ gauge cluster. (If you drop the bolts to the column all the way I haven't noticed any damage to the column or surrounding areas)

4) light switch is now accessible

I have an extra switch laying around if you want it PM me if you do.

quick resolve - blowing fuses? bypass fuses... a little wire with poor ingenuity - and veua'la' I have all my lights working. nothing burning, i can tell i have a few shorts because my 4x4 button and low range button dont do anything but make my voltagemeter drop when i push em

I would NEVER recommend this to ANYONE for ANY reason! It is INCREDIBLY dangerous, and could very easily cause a fire.

DO NOT take this advice.

Nothing personal, but being an electrician, I cannot in good faith let this stay posted without a disclaimer.

If it's temporary, sure, no problem. Permanent solution? Nope.

**UPDATE** I took the dash panel from covering my instrument panel; took out my master light switch - NO ISSUE there. I turned my explorer on, put it into neutral and hit the brakes a few times - saw the smoke again; it was coming from my hazard button. Took the steering collom cover and hit the brake a few more times- saw the smoke from the same place. I removed my multifunction turn-signal switch ( unplugged the set of three ) hit the brakes a few times no smoke. I found out the problem was the circuit board from my multifunction switch is fried ( or short ). YAY $50 dollar part :) found my problem.

no wires were melting or burning - just smoke from the inside of the multifunction signal switch.

! No fire no worry !

all fuses have been checked. Could it be the lever on the column messing all that up?
!! Now i know ! yes it is the stupid lever.

So pulled the column off and found the switch wasn't even connected.. Looks like I forgot to plug it back in when I took my dash out. Guess that's what happens when I do stuff when it's cold and dark out

*short* update.

I replaced my fuses - i replaced my multifunction switch ( which was burnt out ) I thought that was the reason for the short... I still have something causing my fuses to blow... so frustrated.

Back