Possible Sport V8s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Sport V8s?

Now that I've decided that if I significantly increase the power in my 2000 Sport I will install a V8 I need to consider engine possibilities. I'm not very knowledgeable about Ford V8s since my Sport is the first Ford I've owned.

Of course the easiest would be the 302/5.0L since it came stock in so many of the 4 door Explorers.

The 351 Windsor engine would provide more power but I've read that the deck height is larger to accommodate the engine's longer stroke. It might not fit in the engine compartment.

The stroked and bored 302 to 347 would be about as simple to install as the stock 302 except for a custom tune but is fairly expensive for an OHV engine.

The 4.6L came with the 4R70W in 3rd generation Explorers and I like the idea of a SOHC V8 with all of the chains and sprockets in the front of the engine. However, I've read that the engine is wider than the 5.0L (probably due to the heads) and may not fit.

What I would really like is one of the engines shown below.
97DOHC4_6.jpg

However, the 4.6L DOHC V8 is even wider than the 4.6L SOHC V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO
The 351 will shoehorn in easier then the 4.6. This leaves a possibilty of 426 cubes

The front diff is a bummer for header fitment.

edit since your truck is 2wd you will have a much easier time of it.

Any swap is going to require custom tuning so put it in your budget.

However, I've read that the engine is wider than the 5.0L (probably due to the heads) and may not fit.
I think its because of the angle too - its 90 degrees between the cylinder bores as opposed to the typical 60.

But on a side note - why not go with a small block and just force induce it. It may cost a little more but fitting it won't be as big of an issue. Because IMO, I think big displacement engines don't make much sense anymore when there are turbos and superchargers. The tunability and "return on investment" on force induced engines is significantly more than naturally aspirated. Implementation may cost a little more initially but in the long run, I think force induction has so much more to offer.

upgrade in stages

. . . But on a side note - why not go with a small block and just force induce it. It may cost a little more but fitting it won't be as big of an issue. Because IMO, I think big displacement engines don't make much sense anymore when there are turbos and superchargers. The tunability and "return on investment" on force induced engines is significantly more than naturally aspirated. Implementation may cost a little more initially but in the long run, I think force induction has so much more to offer.

You're probably right. Swapping to a 5.0L would avoid a lot of complications and cost. It would also allow me to upgrade in stages. Initially I could just build up the low end (cam, crank, rods, pistons, rings & bearings). Stage 2 could be heads and exhaust and done without pulling the block from the engine compartment. Stage 3 could be adding a supercharger if one is made for the fuel injected 5.0L. I like the idea of a supercharger with a bypass valve and maybe an intercooler between the blower and the heads.

IMO and from personal experience let stage 1 include heads so you build a complete engine ready for some sort of force feeding. Doing it that way you don't have to deal with the pita of head swap. I personally like the 289 if you can find one . Same block as 302 except big bore short stroke = quick high revs. I am pretty sure that the 351w is only 1" taller and 1" wider I may be wrong haven't ran one in years. I have two in my shop if you want me to measure them just let me know.:D
small block 221,260,289,302,351w all have same bellhouseing
smallblock 351m,351c,400m same bellhousing different from above
big block 385 series 429,460 all have same bellhousing different from both above
fe series 330,352,360,390,410,427,428 all have same bellhousing different from above
I'm sure I left out several engines but the 4 different groups can share trannies in group but not with another group. Gotta love Fords

302 supercharger?

I'm not finding many superchargers (other than centrifugal) for a fuel injected 302 engine. Apparently Explorer Express had Eaton kits available years ago but no longer sells them. I don't know if the blowers on the early Mustang 302 Cobras are compatible with the 302 in a 2000 Explorer. Also, I read somewhere the stock heads on a 2000 Explorer 302 have poor air flow. If I purchase better flowing heads such as TrickFlow or equivalent then the blower would have to fit them.

I read somewhere that the 302 has better torque than the 4.6L and is more suitable for the Explorer. The 4.6L is probably the better engine for the lighter weight Mustang. My Sport weighs more than a Mustang but less than a 4 door Explorer. With good torque I could stay with my 3.73 rear axle ratio and still have decent acceleration and fuel economy with a 4R70W 4 speed instead of my 5R55E 5 speed.

What are you going to be using your explorer for mostly?

good question!

Mainly I use my Sport for enjoyment. I enjoy learning about it, experimenting with it, discussing what I learn with forum members, and driving it as my second vehicle. I probably have more fun working on it than driving it. I'm not interested in drag racing or off roading. I just want it to be "responsive" when mashing the throttle but still get decent fuel economy in city driving. I rarely drive out of town except for an annual trip to the beach and use our Toyota Highlander for that. Periodically my wife and I drive the Sport to a restaurant 50 miles away to check its fuel economy (100 miles round trip). I plan to keep it for as long as I can continue to drive (I'm 64) and want it to be reliable. I guess I'd like to pursue an upgrade path with the most potential for modifications.

Subscribing--good info already. My dream is a V8 in my Sport one day.

Kenne Bell supercharger

I found a rebuilt 1.5L Kenne Bell supercharger for 86-93 5.0L Mustangs with GT40 lower intake manifold. I believe the Explorer 5.0L has the same lower intake manifold so the supercharger might fit. It's available with pulleys for either 8 or 11 lbs of boost. The purchase price ($2,200) isn't bad but there doesn't appear to be a way to bypass the blower to get better fuel economy in the way that the Explorer Express Eaton unit could. Also, there appears to be no way to intercool.

The problem is that the explorer 5.0 has a unique shorter front dress to clear the radiator, meaning that mustang supercharger pulley would stick out too far, as far as i know.

Cant you get the snout and shaft shortened? Or get a pair of shorter snout and shaft?

" 4.6L came with the 4R70W in 3rd generation Explorers"

The 3rd Gens all have the 5R55 series trannies (except the extremely rare manuals) as far as I'm aware. You may want to keep that in mind when sourscing the engine/tranny combo for your Sport.

As an example, both my 2005 Eddie Bauer and my wife's 2003 XLT both have the 5R55S with 3.73 gearing...A few 3rd Gen owners I've conferred with also have 5r55's...

I think my dream daily driver explorer would have a Kenne belle blown, aluminum headed, 331. Keep the stock cam for manners, keep the boost under 10 psi and HP under 500 it'd be a hell of a ride to work.

I'm sure a Mustang kit could he fabbed to work, if not KB has great customer support and may help you out. Intercooling isn't nessecery until you are running big boost numbers and then there is always meth Injection..

Honestly tho if you are commin from a mostly stock V6, even a stock 302 will be a world of difference. I had a 98 sport and now have a 00 limited 5.0.

If it were me doing a budget performance rebuild, I'd look for a complete high mileage motor, rebuild it with a .030 over forged piston, send the stock Gt40p heads for cnc porting and stock intake to extrude hone, add tourqe monster headers and full exhaust, mass air and throttle body and have it tuned.

You could go a step further if you commit to E85, 11 to 1 compression, lightning mass air and injectors, and a Ford GT fuel pump would probably get it done and add another 15-20 HP.

Either way that would be a fun, strong and reliable motor that wouldnt cost more to build than the truck is worth...

I'm not sure I agree. I believe once you swap a NA V8, you'll have the tranny problem solved (for future growth) but will not have the quickness you could have from the V6 and a say a turbo. (depending on how far you're going to push this)

I've been on this board a long time. There is not many V8's that I can honestly say is quicker than the combo in my sport; I can think of a couple but they're FI V8's with probably twice the amount of cash in them. Tranny problems? I’m still waiting for this to be an issue. Take it from me, or take it from someone that has heard it could be a problem, but hasn’t really pushed the issue.

So if you're looking to spend money, you're going the right way. It's going to take a FI V8, or a hell of a built V8 motor to offset what you could see with a good FI V6. I believe it's the HP/LB factor and not to mention the gas mileage.

Look at the new 3.8 V6's...300 NA HP and 30 MPG. Imagine one of these FI. We have the 3.5 version in an Edge and it is pretty good so far.

V8's are cool, don't get me wrong but I'd hate to see you get sick from all the work swapping in a V8 and seeing quicker times, better performance, less expense, and better gas mileage from a good FI V6 combo. You will have a better sound though, I'll give that up to a V8.

So is it just the tranny you’re worried about and that’s what made your mind up?

And isnt the after-market support and knowledge-base for the v8 much larger than the v6? Cauz IMO, it isnt just about how much power can I get out of this, but who's going to know why part X is exhibiting symptom Y at the 11th hour, and where can I get replacement part Z tomorrow within my 20 mile radius.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turbo what you have and have fun! Look at Jakee, was running mid-13's with a stock block I believe?

Turbo's are more efficient than superchargers, giving you more power pound for pound and when sized right, will spool plenty fast with hardly no lag.

Good luck!

Back