Revolver type shackles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Revolver type shackles

just wanted to add another name to the list!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I talked to Randy at Breeze today. He will make them, but I need to confirm 4 more sets. My X will be the 1st prototype (and no I'm not getting them free!) from which he will make the tooling. They will be different than the pictured ones because the 1st link will have to be L shaped to "hang" away from the frame to allow the shackle to move without banging the frame all the time. Stock shackles are 5.5" eye to eye, these will be 7-7.5" eye to eye. Any longer will put too much stress on the linkage. They will give about 3.5" of extra droop without need for driveshaft lengthening (because the drop is toward the t-case). Longer shocks may be required. These will be designed to work with a SOA, stock springs, or lifted/arched leafs. As for concerns for downhills or heavy braking, they won't open up unless the rearend is COMPLETELY unweighted. He has made a set for a Ranger (custom) and they work great (I also know this person and have seen his truck).

Cost = $250 Can which is $167US + shipping.

They use a brass bushing with a grease fitting. Guaranteed. Made with 1/4" steel.

When I get 4 names below this post who are willing to put MC/VISA down I'll post all of the contact info, etc.

So what??? No one is interested now?

btt??!!??

OK, so I collected some names from the post...who is willing to commit?

Gerald?
Clint?
Clark?
Leebo?
Robbie?
Chad?
Pete?
David Nash?
Marshall?

Randy is more than willing to start making these, assuming there is a market. Unless at least 5 people are willing to buck up, we'll miss our chance!

1. Dale
2. Mudd*****

Cheers
Dale

I'm in.

so does he need cash upfront or what if so how much? and when I am in, cost and when he needs it, depends on when I am in

I understand the additional 3.5" of droop in the rear that these will add, can anyone tell me if they'll lift the rear... Looking at the numbers it looks like they'd add an inch or so... if this is the case, and it'll fit a Sport Trac (and I assume it will) the only sticking point for me would be if it absolutely required new shocks in the rear, and if it does... how could these offer less height than the Warrior's yet require replacement shocks (while the warriors don't have to have a shock swap) Thanks for any info. I am a highly potential buyer.

When sitting at ride height, these shackles would leave the height of the truck about 1/2 an inch lower than would the Warriors, so you would be fine in that respect. However, in order to take full advantage of the additional droop, you need shocks with a greater amount of travel. The revolver type shackles would not be allowed to open up all the way because they would be limited by the full extension of the shock. Warrior shackles fit on all year explorers, so I see no reason why these would not work as well.

Yup, what Mudd***** said. Longer shocks and swaybar disconnects are a must. Otherwise, your money spent is futile.

I'll talk to Randy in the next couple of days and see how he wants to proceed. He'll likely be looking for a phone call or email and a verbal confirm on a order. He'll proceed to make the 1st set and perfect them on my X, then you guys can give VISA/MC info and he'll ship them out.

Cheers
Dale

Exactly how much rear lift over stock shacles do they provide?

Diff Whack, well according to my post and the answer to it, it seems to be a little over 1 inch or a little to the lower side (increase over stock)...

And I appreciate the answer regarding the drop/ respective shock length... the way the answer to my question was explained makes a lot of sense.... I didn't think of extended length (with these rotating shackles) in relation to shock length to compensate for droop. So does anyone know how I would order Rancho 9000's for this set-up in the rear? Thanks, I have my heart set on the Ranchos.

After you have the shackles in and the shocks off, then measure the distance between the shock mounts at full compression and full extension to get the shock length. I don't know if it's still there, but at www.gorancho.com they used to have a chart that listed all of the measurements and matched them up to a part number for ordering.

Originally posted by becker69
And I appreciate the answer regarding the drop/ respective shock length... the way the answer to my question was explained makes a lot of sense.... I didn't think of extended length (with these rotating shackles) in relation to shock length to compensate for droop. So does anyone know how I would order Rancho 9000's for this set-up in the rear? Thanks, I have my heart set on the Ranchos.

Originally posted by tiessen
My X will be the 1st prototype from which he will make the tooling. They will be different than the pictured ones because the 1st link will have to be L shaped to "hang" away from the frame to allow the shackle to move without banging the frame all the time. Stock shackles are 5.5" eye to eye, these will be 7-7.5" eye to eye. Any longer will put too much stress on the linkage. They will give about 3.5" of extra droop without need for driveshaft lengthening (because the drop is toward the t-case). Longer shocks may be required. These will be designed to work with a SOA, stock springs, or lifted/arched leafs.

Cost = $250 Can which is $167US + shipping.

They use a brass bushing with a grease fitting. Guaranteed. Made with 1/4" steel.

I talked to Randy again today. He trusts that everyone will buck up when the time comes, so he is going to make a 'run' of the Explorer shackles. No need to put up VISA/MC information. It will likely take 2-3 weeks to fab up my 1st set, so I would expect the production run to be ready no later than Jan 1, 2002. Mark your calenders and save your $$. These shackles are going to be awesome.

www.breezeindustries.com/

Cheers
Dale

Mudd*****; Thank you for the information, I appreciate the directions on how to measure. Is this taking the measurement from the shock-mount(base) and measuring to the extension of the shock (ie if I jacked the rear up and allowed full droop of the rear, and measured from there with the new shackles installed? I appologize, I'm just a bit new to the traction performance side. Thanks. And Tiesen, you can for the most part count me in... I just need to work on the specifics of installation and required parts.

Ideally, you would want to jack up the truck by the frame, without the shocks connected to the vehicle. Then raise one side of the axle only, until the other side comes off the ground. This will give you your full compression length on the side you jacked up, and your full extended length on the opposite side. Measure from the lower shock mount on the passenger side to the upper mount on the passenger side, and then do the same for the drivers side. Personally, I would add a little bit to the measurement of the full extended length, because I would not want my shocks to be the limiting factor on suspension travel.

Thanks Mudd*****, and I must agree to the part of not wanting my shocks to limit what I am trying to do with this set-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great for the X crowd. How 'bout the Ranger crowd. Any info would be nice. Thanks!:chug:

Back