Revolver type shackles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Revolver type shackles

*****UPDATE******

I'm going over to Breeze on Tues afternoon and he'll make all the measurements,etc to my truck. Hopefully I'll be testing my set by Dec 7th! And then onto the production run. Get your checkbooks ready.

As for the Rangers, he's done a custom set for a Ranger and if there is enough interest I'm sure he'll do a run of them. Same price as the X ones. It's up to you Ranger guys to get the ball rolling. Maybe post of rangerstation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you take pics of before and after at full rear flex. I am very interested and have the money but I want to see them work first. Can he have set for me by early January for t-haven? Thanks and I am definately in.

Are we still clear for takeoff on this? If so count me in. When can we expect the product to be ready?:roll:

I went to Breeze yesterday and Randy made most of the measurements he needs on my X. He going to draw up the shackles on Autocad and have the 1st set of plates laser cut next week. We'll then mock them up on my X and check clearances, binding, etc. If they work fine then we'll finish them and I'll trail test them for 2 weeks. If all goes well, he'll produce about 20 pairs. This should be sometime late in January, in reality.

As I said before, the design will be slightly different than pictured. They will also be inverse, ie: the fold will be inwards toward the axle. This is due to a frame crossmember behind shackle and also interference for those running Hidden Hitch's.

He'll likely be using 5/16" for strength, these things will be beefy.

Hold on everyone, they're coming.

Cheers
Dale

tag

Tag, I want to keep up with this.

Thanks Dale for making the effort to get this done.

HURRY:bounce: I really want a set of these but I need to know exact amount of lift and how much extra they droop.

They will be 7" eye-to-eye instead of stock 5.5". So .75" of lift.

They will open to about 13.5", so about 3.5" of extra droop at the axle.

Hopefully I'll have mine on in a week and can test them. I'll also need to modify my shock mounts!

Cheers
Dale

I'll definitely have them for the Walker Valley run, and the production run should be soon after that.

I'll buy a set....looks like what I have been looking for. Since I put on that heavy rear bumper with the tire carrier, I have been looking for a shackle to lift the rear back up about 1\2-3\4", and the added rear flex is just gravy. Ask him to coat them black or gray, not that yikes red.

Are there any problems with drivability on the street?

No problems on street driving. You can paint them any color you like.

I'm expecting to have the first set on my truck early in the New Year. A 2 week setback, you know how busy everyone is this time of year.

Hold on everyone.

Cheers
Dale

We're awaiting these anxiously; I have my $$ for warrior's in hand the only wait is how your tests go to decide if the $ is worth the difference. Cheers to you, Becker.

Hi Dale,
Sorry but I must have missed this thread when it got active again. I spent the last month or two on the "Herc Tour" and moving, etc.

As it stands now I am not interested, because I need all the lift I can get in my current setup and these will lose some from the Warriors I currently have. If I could keep the 8.5" Warrior length, I'd buy these, but as you said that's too much and they would lose too much strength leveraging that far.

I am considering an RCD coilover 4" lift setup sometime in the next year and will then have another rear setup, and I will definately want these if I do that. But that's in the future for now.

Congrats on getting this kickstarted. If these work out, I have no doubt that Breeze will have all the business they can stand.

Hmmmm..... if they made a set out of 3/8" steel instead of 5/16th, would they be strong enough to make 8.5" long?????

What do you think? Ask 'em, okay?

I must agree with Gerald; A little bit of added length (ie lift) would go a long way for me to substantiate the cost difference between the warrirors. If your fabricator/maker wants to ensure more sales (hopefully he will ultimately go with 3/8" steel...) notify him that www.mysportrac.com is very willing to take on new sales to it's sight.... and with the ST and persons on that board they are guaranteed some sales. Good Luck, and thanks for the legwork.

I also agree with Gerald. I need all the lift I can get and cannot justify buying these to replace the shackles I already have if they will lower it.

DITTO

Status

What is the current status on this? I know there are a lot of people that are not interested but what about the ones of us that are?

Sorry, I've been off the board for a few days. I'll call Randy today and update asap.

As for making them longer, there are other fitment factors that would rule this out. They will be a tight fit anyways...

I have heard of people taking their warrior shackles off and going with an add a leaf instead. Is this accurate? Because you could have the best of both worlds. You could have your revolver shackles and the lift.
Just an observation. Would that work?

I want email updates to this thread.

I am in the same boat as Gerald though.

What about the add-a-leaf idea? Would that work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I talked to Randy just now. As per usual with everything, he is swamped and hasn't had time, BUT he has drawn up the shackles on Autocad and is ready to cut some plates, etc. I should have my test set by end of Jan. If all goes well, you guys can start ordering direct from them shortly after.

As for the requests for longer ones, I asked again. Randy explained it quite well, "The ones I am making will be 7" eye to eye, that means a 14" shackle when opened. 14" is HUGE to begin with. There is no way to safely make it any longer without it being made of 1/2" steel plate. Plus, any longer would made it open up too far and make it very unstable."

So buy some new leafs or add-a-leaf or rearch the leafs or whatever, but no longer than 7" eye to eye.

Cheers
Dale

Back