Revolver type shackles

riffman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Ok...the reason of this post is to get the initial reaction for the production of this product. I am working with a company that currently produces them, but not for our vehicle. So he had asked me a question about the numbers that would be interested. The difference in these and revolvers are, these WON'T kick back. They have a cam type setup that prevents that. Here is a pic of one that is currently in production for a different vehicle. I can bring along more information as i get it.

Dead Link Removed

Like I said, these aren't in production yet. We just need to get an initial reaction. Would anybody be interested if they were in production?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look cool, do they provide the lift like the warriors do ?

They may, they may not. It depends on the design. If so, it wouldn't be much. An inch or two.

If a set were produced that was strong enough for our heavy vehicles, wouldn't overextend/kick back, and had the 8.5" closed length of the Warriors, I'd buy one. I think I'd want to paint it black though :D.

I don't know if I have a need for them right now. But, I do like the fact that they are greasable. I'd get them when/if I needed them though.

I liked the design of the revolver untill I heard obout over extending so if these don't over extend i would buy a pair

Do these pivot in the center like the revolvers do? I can see how it extends in the picture, but the revolver's uniqueness is how it pivots as well as extends.

No, they do not pivot. I actually was not aware that the revolvers did that. But, sadly, these just open and close.

I would be interested. Assuming that they would be cheaper than the Revolver because of the twist delete. Any hints on price?

Clark

well..the only ones currently in production are for the samuri. and the longest ones they have (5" closed) are $145 a pair. So i can only assume more expensive than that. but its hard to say how much more. I can try to find out though.

but if he doesn't feel like there is enough of a market for them, he won't produce them. So im thinkin we need to get more interested voices!! keep em coming!! Dead Link Removed

pivoting/twisting

I am interested in a set eventually, in the next 6 months, but I really like the idea of the pivoting, because I've seen the affects of the revolvers on a friends jeep. The spring stay straight no matter what. But I probably still be looking at these, especially with a slightly lower price.

riffman,

I believe this possible supplier may not be aware of some Explorer history and the potential market. A year and a half ago NOTHING was available to us. Even to this day, it is still striking to consider the amount of ignorance amongst manufacturers that have yet to recognize this market.

Back then, I approached MANY aftermarket fourwheeling manufacturers -- I don't know, twenty or two dozen, something like that -- begging them to simply offer an extended shackle, and the ONLY response I got was from Warrior (a Jeep company without a single Explorer product). After a period of time and much discussion and design, they agreed to produce fifteen sets of shackles as a test, and only one Warrior distributor nationwide (Desert Rat) took the trouble to order the stock. Here's the original thread reference after I finally got them to produce a run:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13143

I think you now know "the rest of the story". That original run sold out immediately before they could even produce it. I noticed a post not long ago from yet another Explorer owner that stated when he ordered them from Desert Rat, he was told that the Warrior shackles was a "best seller" in their entire inventory. Our Ford Explorer shackles are now a permanent staple item in Warrior's nationwide distributor catalog and stand out in stark contrast amongst all of their other aftermarket offerings offered soley to Jeeps irrespective of other brands. In an odd way it is kind of interesting to note that our product doesn't fit neatly into their supplier catalog. Your English teacher that you hated in high school would be very hard pressed to figure out how to diagram our entry into the whole outline.

To borrow a movie line, "build it and they will come". This manufacturer you are corresponding with has no clue of the market he is looking at. There are millions more of our vehicles on the road than anything else, and yes, "some" are being used offroad now. In my simple accountant's mind, "some" of several million equals "a LOT".

Rick has made the point that very soon old model Explorers will be the best deal in the used 4x4 market since most haven't been off the pavement. Most early Broncos have been beaten to death. This manufacturer has the chance to gain early entry into an exploding market. Not only old models but especially new models. We new model owners have NO front locker or limited slip available for our front 4wd axles, so we are open diffied up front. That makes rear traction worth its weight in gold. Flex gives us that traction, and this product is designed to provide that. No matter what year Explorer, whether old or new model, this would be a HIGHLY desirable modification, and we are about to welcome our 4,000th member soon to look at it.

If you are uncomfortable corresponding with this company to try to convince them, allow me to help. I will convince them. Heck, I'll buy an entire run and stock them myself for members of this board (I have a business dba that was set up originally as an aftermarket parts supplier).

I'll spell that out if it wasn't clear enough. You just asked for response to show them there is an interest ("but if he doesn't feel like there is enough of a market for them, he won't produce them. So im thinkin we need to get more interested voices!! keep em coming!!") . I just volunteered to buy a couple dozen sets immediately. How's that for a start?

I'll qualify that last statement with a very important caveat. This product cannot be junk. If they can produce a beta set in time for me to test it in Moab next May, and it can stand up to the challenge, I'll distribute them myself (we'll sell them to support this site and I will work out with Rick the details pending his approval).

If this company has enough confidence in their product to stand behind it holding up 5,000lb+ vehicles on hard trails, they'll not only sell way more than enough to offset toolup costs but also provide a generous profit for years to come. If they don't have that confidence in their product, then we're barking up the wrong tree and we need to move on to someone else.

Just throwing my same ol' extry peso in for food for thought. They'll never know what they missed if they ignore us.

[Edited by GJarrett on 12-16-2000 at 08:39 AM]

I appreciate the reply Gerald!!!! I was about to bump this up again, anyway!!

From what i have been told about this company, they are VERY far sighted! A person who I talked to, who has delt with him on other products, says that if he feels like there is even a remote chance that the product could have a good market, then he will take it on. I can't say that first hand, but thats what I was told. I will definately pass this on to him. Is it ok if I quote some of what you said?

I shot him some info on the explorer setup (ie. pics, spring dimensions, length, but lenght of stock only. I will let him know about the desire of the longer lenght) and am still waiting to hear back from him. He is pretty busy, but i will definatley let you know as soon as i hear somthing.

On a different note...this is kinda funny....my dad was my high school english teacher!! and he LOVED, i mean LOVED diagraming.....so im gonna have to challenge him!! Dead Link Removed

Keep me posted. My warrior shackles flatened my springs way!!! more than I wanted(almost to the flat point). In my mind their gone and in comes a pair of OME. Put these shackles on and I'm off.

Keep me updated

Riff.....if you need anymore help twisting the dudes arm...give me a yell. It looks like there might be more than a few people in sales here ;P

keep us posted

Riffman if the price is right I may be in as well. Have you heard anything latley? I would like to gain a few inches of droop in the rear of my truck!

It's riff... probly not... Also, there's another thread goin round from yesterday, about YJ tera-flex revolver style shackles...
Pete

I'd be interested in a set, even if they don't provide lift. Thing is, I'm trying to figure out if they'd be a help or hindrance when I'm running the desert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the co. that makes these. It's local to me. I've talked to him before about making me a set. They are great quality and the guys who make em are great too. Maybe I'll swing over there sometime soon and talk to him...

Cheers
Dale

ps. A friend had a set made for his Ranger, custom, and they work good. No problems. The extension problem on downhills is not as severe on LWB vehicles. The greasable factor is nice and if you double lock nut them and don't overtighten them, they provide enough rotation for the leafs.

Back